Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:02 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I think you are going to far if you think a big gulp from 7/11 should be legal.
Well, it was in New York City for a while until it got repelled.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Actually, it may not be the cigarettes at all.........Years After Smokers Stop Beta-Carotene Supplements, Lung Cancer Deaths Up
Death Stalks Smokers in Beta-Carotene Study
From what I've heard, it's actually just hot smoke that's carcinogenic. It can be water vapor, but if it's really hot, it does bad things to your lungs. Most drugs are active when taken orally or can be made active in the case of pot, but people shoot up, snort, or smoke because it takes significantly less to get high with IV injection or smoking.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I think you are going to far if you think a big gulp from 7/11 should be legal.
Actually, I see their point with the big gulp, if you are going to ban things, huge sugary drinks are addicting and very bad on the body with repeat use, just like other drugs. Not that I support it, but banning huge soft drinks is a valid stance if you want to push for being drug free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
My point is I have seen a 5'3" 100lbs woman out drink 3 men weighing over 175 lbs and 6 ft........I have also seen a 5'4" 135 lb woman out smoke men weighing over 200 lbs. It doesn't matter ones size or weight some can just handle drinking or smoking more, it's not limited to size.

I have heard people say pot made me this way or that, not everyone uses pot in the same way. Some people smoke to get stupid. While others know how to handle a mild feeling and never get to the high stupid part.

Drinking is different most people drink to get drunk, or why drink, correct

MJ has medical purposes, not just getting high. Many women use it for PMS and menopause issues.
There are dosage variations for sure. But actually you do have a point with MJ, it's a whole lot of different chemicals that people really don't know what they do. So you can get wildly different effects out of the same "drug" so to speak". But for most other single chemical drugs like caffeine or hydrocodone, the effects are more constant.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An interesting revelation from the MJ legalization currently under way in my state has been how popular pot smoking is among denizens of the left. The Seattle City Attorney celebrated legalization by buying some pot and bringing it to the office.
Seattle's Attorney Pete Holmes Takes Pot To Work, Apologizes (And Smokes)

I guess that there is probably less alcohol consumption on the right due to the number of conservative Christians, but other than that I don't see a difference in right-wing vs. left wing boozing. But there is this huge dichotomy when it comes to marijuana use. No doubt there are some right-wing libertarians who indulge, but in my experience they are mostly ex-users. A local libertarian candidate here said that (paraphrase) 'we are gun-toting economists on drugs.' But like most Libertarians, if he ever used drugs it was probably over 30 years ago.

I asked a liberal/progressive friend who is a non-pot-smoker about this. He immediately agreed that it is far more prevalent on the left. He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."

Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
The left exists in a state of delusion. It's easier if they're high.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Liberals have always been the party of the deviant..legalize all drugs, sodomy, marry your horse if you like and have a late term abortion if it suits your needs

They're always looking to push the envelope.
Always?

All liberals?

What's up with the absolute thinking?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
To me, drug prohibition of any kind is an affront to personal freedom. I'm not interested in preaching or pushing my beliefs on others. I think there are many drugs that do more harm than good. It doesn't mean I have a right to tell anybody else what they can and cannot put in their bodies.

To me, this type of approach should define the small government, conservative crowd. Since that is not the case, I believe many conservatives are actually frauds, who would prefer something of a sissy nanny state... Just as long as it imposes their views on others. Actually, I think they are just told what to think by their media overlords.
If only the impact of drugs could be limited to those who choose to engage.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I enjoy the irony of the anti smoking crowd being pro pot.
Yes there is some irony there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
These are 2 separate issues. The tobacco industry has prospered on addicts of nicotine. Many die of lung, throat and tongue cancer. Nicotine will kill you and has no medicinal purposes. Pot on the other hand has always had medicinal purposes. And when have you heard of pot having the damaging effects that cigarettes have. Sorry, no irony at all

Yes cigarettes are bad. It's one habit I wish I could truly quit. Nevertheless, I'm a grown a** man, and I don't need the government telling me what is and isn't good for me. Not to get too far off track, but I cannot stand the government mandated smoking bans on businesses! It should be at the discretion of a business owner as to whether they allow it in their establishment, or not, and it should be up to the individual to choose whether or not they patronize that establishment, or go elsewhere that doesn't allow smoking.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:32 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Why do folks like it? It is a great buzz, and not very dangerous compared to other stuff!!

I personally never cared much for it, except when listening to music (when high on pot I could literally pull the different instruments out of a composition and rotate them in my mind-very cool!). However, when traveling through Morocco in my 20s, I did some serious hashish that made me paranoid as hell. Not a good feeling. So, no I don't use the stuff, but I understand those who do.

No, my drug of choice was just good beer, by the gallon, which relaxed me and lifted my moods. Of course, I often overindulged, wretched, drove drunk, punched holes in walls, fought with my wife, made an ass of myself, and my wife and I became high functioning, unrepentant, (and obese and depressed) alcoholics. Perfectly legal, so no problem I guess...

Many conservatives (especially Scots-Irish, Germans, and Scandinavians) love their beer, whiskey, and their bars, and I suspect are just as addicted and addled as your typical pothead. And having seen my shared of bar fights, stabbings, shootings, domestic violence, and other things to have a clear eyed view of alcohols perils. The only reason it is legal is that the alkies would raise unrelenting hell if they could not get it, as we saw in the 1930s. We can't eliminate it, so we (try) to manage it.

In the grand scheme of things, I think alcohol is far more likely to lead to violence, road carnage, and poor health than marijuana. I have never heard of a pothead busting up a place, or stabbing his best friend, or strangling his wife. I personally think it is better to not use drugs at all (being an addict sucks), but to each their own. It is here to stay, so might as legalize it, tax it, and kill the black market for it. Just common sense.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually kind of a interesting question. Half of it may be age, with older folks stuck on reefer madness, but I don't think thats all of it. I think the rights been more of a "law and order" focused bunch as well, and think thats the other half of it.

fun fact-some polls indicate blacks and Hispanics are evenly split on legalization, while whites are more for it. Wonder what causes that?

This^

Most conservatives under 40 don't give a rip about people smoking pot unless they're Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, Muslims, evangelicals etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:41 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
They yearn for the counterculture of the 60's. Marijuana is a potent symbol of that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies