Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What I did like is that the cartoon brought up the fact that 30 million will still remain uninsured. I'll have to check number again, but I believe that 40 million were uninsured prior to the ACA. That's a lot of money spent to help just 10 million.
That number would be incorrect. We had about 32 million uninsured americans, + 14 million illegals, Pre ACA. Since the illegals arent covered, they dont count. We currently have about 34 million uninsured, and never projected to fall below 30 million, while expected to spend $1.7 TRILLION

its a hell of a lot of money to help "2 million" and thats if it hits its goal.

7 million lost employer based policies
4 million lost private policies..

Demcorats celebrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I wrote a variation. Medicare uses private insurance companies. A lot. But they are subject to Medicare rules and regulations. And it works quite well.

Even the current governor of Florida understands it very well.

The truth is that people are finally beginning to understand just how expensive health care (and insurance) is in this country.
Here is a quick overview of a system I'd like to see.

First, you have the private system like we had before with a few rule changes that would impact portability, preexisting conditions, coverage across state lines and published costs.

Second, you have a medical branch of government much like the military. We have hospitals like bases and clinics like recruiting posts. Just like the military, you can sign up and be trained to be a nurse, doctor, orderly, etc. You get trained and then deployed somewhere in the US. You do your time and then you can "re-enlist" if you chose. If you are treating by the government, they collect your information including your social security number. You get billed according to how much you make, and you might carry a liability on your taxes for X years. So if you get treated and three years later start making a lot of money, you'd essentially be back billed a percentage.

Well, that's my idea.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That number would be incorrect. We had about 32 million uninsured americans, + 14 million illegals, Pre ACA. Since the illegals arent covered, they dont count. We currently have about 34 million uninsured, and never projected to fall below 30 million, while expected to spend $1.7 TRILLION

Demcorats celebrate.
Wow, worse than I thought.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You do realize the exchange is the website right ?????
yep... so much money wasted too.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
[font=Verdana]The Republicans have a proposed replacement ready to go:

1. The Impressive New Obamacare Replace Plan From Republicans Burr, Hatch, And Upton - Forbes
Sounds just like Obamacare with a tweak but they call it something else.
- tax credits
- guarantee that all Americans could obtain health coverage irrespective of pre-existing conditions
- higher subsidies for the uninsured.
- Medicaid and Medicare reform
- Medical malpractice reform (remove a patients's right to sue) - but this will have a negligible effect on premiums
- Interstate insurance purchasing - this would/could be a good move but I doubt it will have a big effect on premiums

Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
It's clear that some of you have no idea how ACA (Obamacare) works, and that you have been listening to partisan talking points in piecemeal. It'd be good if you understood something that you revile. Y'all like a cartoon, right? Here you go, watch this: The Simplest Explanation Of Obamacare. Ever.

Mick
Gays now have to pay for maternity care. At 54 I now have insurance with maternity care and dental care for kids I don't have. My insurance policy premiums cost about 35% and my deductibles doubled.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here is a quick overview of a system I'd like to see.

First, you have the private system like we had before with a few rule changes that would impact portability, preexisting conditions, coverage across state lines and published costs.

Second, you have a medical branch of government much like the military. We have hospitals like bases and clinics like recruiting posts. Just like the military, you can sign up and be trained to be a nurse, doctor, orderly, etc. You get trained and then deployed somewhere in the US. You do your time and then you can "re-enlist" if you chose. If you are treating by the government, they collect your information including your social security number. You get billed according to how much you make, and you might carry a liability on your taxes for X years. So if you get treated and three years later start making a lot of money, you'd essentially be back billed a percentage.

Well, that's my idea.
Skip all that. Just go with a variation of Medicare. Its good and is available nationwide. Everyone knows it, its popular, provides good health insurance. Also include the provision that Medicare can negotiate drug prices.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Demcorats celebrate.
Employers cut full time employees
Part time employment increased

Demcorats celebrate!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:49 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Employers cut full time employees
Part time employment increased

Demcorats celebrate!
Got a link re the celebration?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
So what would be the replacement?
They will default to the Federal exchange.

This is a tech issue- nothing to do with law or insurance.

It was initially envisioned that most states would develop their own healthcare exchange technology. The initial scope of the federal exchange model did not anticipate most states would not develop their own. Reality was the opposite thus the initial rollout challenges.

Some states who went the route of developing their own model, did a good job. Others, like Hawaii, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies