Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 PM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
One major denomination spends a surprising fraction of funds raised for defense and damages arising from a century's worth of operation as a pedophile protection ring.

What was your point again?
Is CAIR running that one?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:13 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Secular charitable organizations are very easy to search and find, if you're not too tunnel-visioned to look.

I'll just mention one of my favorites: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders...utm_medium=ppc

There are many, many others, easily found by those not too self-righteous to look.
I guess the OP forgot that Catholic charities get a fortune from the federal government to run these charities. Atheists/agnostics are smarter than any Christian I know, especially about the bible. They also take reading the bible more seriously, instead of just being blindly led by a preacher. And, atheists that I've known are much more charitable. And, not as superficial.

And, like someone mentioned, they go around talking about it like some people do.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's time for atheists and agnostics to start contributing to society. They spend their days bashing Christianity and failing to provide any positive observations or acknowledgement about the good things many Christians do for society in the name of religion. Just as an example, Catholics operate:

-Grade Schools
-Soup Kitchens
-hospitals
-universities
-charities

Where are the private atheist charities? Where are the atheist hospitals? Where are the atheist schools? Where are the atheist soup kitchens?

You are now 1/4 of the American population and you have yet to organize a single major charitable effort. Sure, you probably throw a few bones to the red cross and volunteer for that park clean up, but where is your Mother Teresa? Where is the school system educating 2 million people of all races, colors, creeds and backgrounds? Where are your hospitals giving care to the sick regardless of income? Where is Atheist Charities...there's a Catholic Charities already.

Step up already and make this country a better place.
Atheism is only a disbelief in the divine. It is not a church like the Catholics or Mormons. There are no binding principles or organizations. When an Athiest performs a charitable act or builds an organization they don't do it in the name of disbelief. Get it?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Did you happen to read through these.....most seemed self serving. I don't see any hospital work, feeding the poor, soup kitchen, etc; nothing really helping people who are down or needing a helping hand. Nothing bringing all people together, why act like the overly religious......just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

This is interesting, not sure it's charity work: Internet Infidels is "a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to defending and promoting a naturalistic worldview on the Internet."

People seriously donated to Richard Hawkins to tell them God doesn't exist......Hawkins mission, not to feed the children, but to tell people......"To support scientific education, critical thinking and evidence-based understanding of the natural world in the quest to overcome religious fundamentalism, superstition, intolerance and suffering.

Camp Quest-- "The Secular Summer Camp", is the first residential summer camp in the United States for the children of those who hold a naturalistic world view.

This camp is fine, but where is the message to help others and be a part of the community? Seems to tell the kids to withdraw and only be with their kind.

This seems to be the only reasonable one not causing division......Practice What You Preach Foundation is a "non-profit organization that builds bridges between faith communities and secular organizations in the Greater Los Angeles Area."

These are only organizations that pose themselves as atheist or agnostic organizations. Most organizations run by atheists and agnostics label themselves by the work that they're doing, rather than by religion.

For instance, the three organizations I am most involved with are all small nonprofits founded by agnostics/secular people with a majority non-religious staff. Religion doesn't matter - the work that they do does.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM

504 posts, read 465,641 times
Quote:
Haha, The "Richard Dawkins Foundation," I'm sure they've helped so many poor people.
Certainly helped me.

Helped confirm my opinion that all religion is baloney. As for how much religious "good" is done for society, I'd say subtract the "bad" and there's a very large deficit. Faith/religious schools are a major culprit. Seen as a positive, they are merely a means by which to indoctrinate the young and impressionable so the cult can be continued.

Children should be left until they are old enough to make a rational decision. We all know what would happen then, don't we?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
You assume those of us who are agnostic don't contribute to Christian charities or volunteer for non-secular non-profits. I do and am sure others do, too. My time and money go to those organizations who do the most good with their donated funds with the least overhead, including Christian organizations.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM

493 posts, read 385,862 times
Only around 1-3% of Americans are agnostics/atheists. Many of those 'Nones' are still cultural Christians and/or believe in God.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Only around 1-3% of Americans are agnostics/atheists. Many of those 'Nones' are still cultural Christians and/or believe in God.
Very true. Statistics often only paint a very vague picture. For example, me and my wife are strongly Christian, but do not attend church. Depending on how a survey is worded, we could easily be lumped in with the "no religion" group.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:52 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Where are the private atheist charities? Where are the atheist hospitals? Where are the atheist schools? Where are the atheist soup kitchens?
I think you misunderstand something essential about the nature of group identity. You may as well ask where all the organizations run by people who do not collect stamps are. The obvious answer being, of course, that people very rarely seek out other non-philatelists to discuss the enjoyment to be found in not collecting stamps. (The exception being, of course, if stamp collectors insist they should enjoy privileges qua their status as philatelists. "This is a Philatelist nation" is a statement bound to cause some contradiction.)

As for secular examples of charities, hospitals etc., they abound, and I think you know it. The last charity event I personally took part in delivered 1200+ meals and toiletry kits to those homeless who have a hard time making it to the missions. Not a word of God as uttered, but no one there would have thought to call it an "atheist" event. Presence or absence of some supernatural entity was not part of the picture.

It's not an identity to be used for much of anything, except, as I pointed out, when people start insisting that their identifying with religious groups means they should enjoy privileges based on their religion.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
It's time for atheists and agnostics to start contributing to society. They spend their days bashing Christianity and failing to provide any positive observations or acknowledgement about the good things many Christians do for society in the name of religion. Just as an example, Catholics operate:

-Grade Schools
-Soup Kitchens
-hospitals
-universities
-charities

You are now 1/4 of the American population and you have yet to organize a single major charitable effort. Sure, you probably throw a few bones to the red cross and volunteer for that park clean up, but where is your Mother Teresa? Where is the school system educating 2 million people of all races, colors, creeds and backgrounds? Where are your hospitals giving care to the sick regardless of income? Where is Atheist Charities...there's a Catholic Charities already.

Step up already and make this country a better place.

How EXACTLY do you know that athiests and agnostics DON't contribute? Very presumptuous of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies