Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is a thought; don't break any laws and you won't go to prison. Those that do break laws, I really don't care what happens to them. They made a bad personal choice they reap what they sow.
It must be so odd to go through life doing or not doing exactly what others tell you to, without any independent or critical thought.

I'm sure you would have made a good little citizen in Nazi-Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
I don't understand how these are "private" when they are funded by the government.

And I don't understand how they are for profit. Do the prisoners make something that gets sold for profit? (License plates?)
Where does the "profit" come from if not from government which means our tax money.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
How's that crime rate?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Private prisons have been around for decades. They relieve a problem when the states run out of space and don't have the money to build new prisons.

You do the crime, you do the time, I don't care where.
You should care

Former Pennsylvania judge found guilty in kids-for-cash scheme | Reuters

unfortunately some of these people are doing A LOT of time for things that aren't even considered crimes.

if it goes on at detention centers best believe it's going on at private prisons.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I don't understand how these are "private" when they are funded by the government.

And I don't understand how they are for profit. Do the prisoners make something that gets sold for profit? (License plates?)
Where does the "profit" come from if not from government which means our tax money.
They make mattresses or sew uniforms... and they do it for pennies on the dollar instead of minimum wage.

The 13th Amendment to the Constitution declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." Formally abolishing slavery in the United States, the 13th Amendment was passed by the Congress on January 31, 1865, and ratified by the states on December 6, 1865.

once you are in prison you get slave wages.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Privatized prisons are the new Republican solution.
I have no issue with privatized prisons. Anytime the government spends money there is an opportunity for fraud. So prosecute those who commit fraud. Problem solved.

BTW, only 16% of federal and 6% of state prisoners are in private facilities.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Privatized prisons are the new Republican solution. In fact, presidential candidate Marco Rubio has benefited financially more than any other from GEO, the country's second largest prison for profit company.

I don't know what's so "new" about it, various state and local governments have been contracting with private prison companies for more than 30 years. Not only private prisons, a lot of governments contract out security, food services, health care and other services even when they own the buildings.

Its not fair to give people the impression that a young man like Rubio was the inventor of this burgeoning phenomenon

Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Here is a thought; don't break any laws and you won't go to prison. Those that do break laws, I really don't care what happens to them. They made a bad personal choice they reap what they sow.
....so if your Government decides to ban your gun tomorrow, guess what that makes you?

Stop making bad choices. I won't care what happens to you.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
For violent criminals, for rapists, etc. I have no issue. But did you see that annual report that company posted? They are worried that prisoners will get shorter sentences for good behavior. They are worried there will be fewer drug laws. When you have a company that is paying politicians to make more laws so they can make more money, which is still paid for by tax payers, that's ridiculous.
I want violent people to stop being violent. Throwing them in jail for long periods of time is not a good motivator. They'll still be violent, but just in a prison, which does bother me. I don't care if the guy the stab is a drug dealer, a child molester, or a prison guard (which based on what prison unions do is basically a crime of its own); people don't deserve to die. Period!

I do support mandatory rehab to get released though. Give a murderer 15 years or something, but if he's still clearly violent at the end of that 15 years, don't let him leave.

Crime should be dealt with in a timely manner. It does that tax payer no good to leave people in prison indefinitely. A heavy focus on rehabilitation will get the 'saved' criminals out of there and being productive members of society and the dangerous ones will stay in prison.

And yes, I'm aware of all the laws that are passed because lobbyists bribe politicians. The justice system is broken, and if people looked at those statistics which can't be disputed, something might change but we're do busy looking at what skin color the people getting arrested have. And while I'm not saying that there is or isn't a racial issue, the race issue is definitely not the big underlying issue with the justice system in it's current state.

Nah, I think long prison sentences for any crime are inhumane. Life without parole should be illegal.

Quote:
This is the type of thinking that allows tyrants to rise to power. 'If they weren't born Jewish, they wouldn't have been arrested... bad choices...'

But that's American statism. It's a law so it must be followed, no matter how stupid. That is, until I disagree with it. Gun control... outrageous. But since I don't do drug, I don't care that drug dealers can serve longer prison sentences than rapists.

Absolutely absurd.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Private prisons skim off the folks who are cheap to house -- not usually the hard time and dangerous inmates so they are set up for profit making. States experience prison overcrowding because they incarcerate too many people for too long -- drug and DWI offenders clog the system. The criminal justice system has less to do with actual justice and more to do with propelling offenders into incarceration...read your state's criminal code. Private prisons offer a choice between continuing to lock people up as usual or creating and using effective alternatives to incarceration. I was involved in rewriting a state's criminal code and it was a struggle to keep the process from being hijacked by politicians and prosecutors who had a vested interest in being tough on crime and locking people up.

There needs to be more oversight of private prisons- not just for how prisoners are housed and treated but the administration, hiring, and contracting -- this is tax payers' money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies