Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The free market will decide.
The free market is going to take their jobs elsewhere if they can.

Quote:
Others will become higher value jobs.
Nope those making above minimum now will most likely not see much of an increase if any, the higher minimum rate will drive up living costs. Effectively a pay cut for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
I did a google search. FOX is the only one talking about this, along with the usual circus of right wing sources that cite FOX news. In circumstances like this, I take the information with a large grain of salt. FOX news lies all the time. I don't mean telling half truths. I mean, telling blatant lies and spreading misinformation. As a former viewer, I can't stand FOX news any longer.
no true, we saw it on our local news and it certainly isn't FOX. you need to stop depending on Google for your information. There is no one source that has it all. You may not like FOX, which is your right, but you do need to realize, Goodgle isn't always your friend, anymore than Snopes is always our friend.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:17 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,534,291 times
Quote:
I did a google search. FOX is the only one talking about this, along with the usual circus of right wing sources that cite FOX news. In circumstances like this, I take the information with a large grain of salt. FOX news lies all the time. I don't mean telling half truths. I mean, telling blatant lies and spreading misinformation. As a former viewer, I can't stand FOX news any longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Does the LA Times also lie ?
L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers - LA Times

Does the LA Daily News also lie ?
Los Angeles’ minimum wage law moving forward without union exemption

Does Fortune also lie ?
https://fortune.com/2015/05/27/la-minimum-wage-unions/

There are more websites that I could have included but the 3 above should suffice.

I think your google is broke
Andy,

It is not Fox News that is lying about this.

Here is the google search, by the way:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50...21.AnIKx89Gotk

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Ok. All I saw were quotes like this...

“With a collective bargaining agreement, a business owner and the employees negotiate an agreement that works for them both,” Rusty Hicks, head of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, said in a statement. “This provision gives the parties the option, the freedom, to negotiate that agreement. And that is a good thing.”

Who are those so called "labor leaders", and what is it they explicitly want?

Small businesses are exempt for an additional year on top of when this takes effect if, I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't unionized small businesses be included in that exception?
It's in the articles I posted:
What he wants is also in the articles I posted. They want to be able to pay below the new minimum wage, that's what they want.

Rusty Hicks who leads the AFL-CIO in Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO

Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,530,662 times
Quote:
You are being blinded by your own bigotry. It all over the news.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,254 times
Doesn't surprise me.

But I do want to address this issue. People don't seem to support or be against unions and such for any ethical reason. It's what they fight for. We see this with all lobbying power. Liberals are far more willing to accuse large corporations of abusing lobbying powers, while conservatives will go after unions. Yet liberals defend unions because they fight for humanitarian things (even if they themselves feel they don't have to follow those rules) and conservatives support corporate power because it's the free market. But there's no ethics issue; it's just bias.

I'm a liberal and I'm against unions. I support people right to unionize against an employer and demand things from the employer, but I do not believe they, or anyone else, has the right to bully the political system. This is my view on corporate lobbyism either. But unlike the majority of people, I'm against the lobbying no matter what it is they lobby for.

Unions that fight for the environment for example: I tend to support the overwhelming majority of things they want to change. But I don't support the method of doing this. The ends should NEVER justify the means. If it's wrong for billionaires to give brides to politicians, it's wrong for a group of teachers to do it also. Money corrupts the system. It'd be great if employers were required to treat employees like humans, but if the way to do that is to corrupt our already massive failure of a system, I have an ethical responsibility to be against it.

The money needs to be removed from politics, rather it's the money of oligarchs or unionized workers.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Unions are no different than corporations. They are a business unto themselves and exist solely because they get workers to give them money.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:28 PM

29,843 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
You are being blinded by your own bigotry. It all over the news.
No, I'm asking why a union would want lower wages. Unions depend on dues to support retirees, and whatever agenda they have. The amount of dues collected is a set percentage of the wages earned.

There are also many different unions, both public and private. They all have different motives and agendas, just like special interests groups and corporations.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
No, I'm asking why a union would want lower wages. Unions depend on dues to support retirees, and whatever agenda they have. The amount of dues collected is a set percentage of the wages earned.

There are also many different unions, both public and private. They all have different motives and agendas, just like special interests groups and corporations.
It's not that they want to lower wages. They don't want to pay the new higher wages.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Well son of a gun. Unions all over CA have negotiated exemption waivers from min wage hikes
Even in Seattle WA in SeaTac. Did you folks know that ?

And these are the same guys that paid for and organized all these "Raise the minimum wage" protests and movements.

Why Unions Exempt Themselves from Hard-Fought Minimum Wage Hikes | Economics21

In California, San Francisco, Oakland, Richmond, Long Beach, and San Jose all have minimum wage laws with exemptions for unionized workplaces.
Further north, Seattle-Tacoma Airport had the first $15 minimum wage in the United States, voted into law in 2013. Yet employers that have collective-bargaining agreements are not subject to the higher wage.
Union exemptions to minimum wage laws are not limited to the West Coast. They can also be found in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Chicago, Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies