Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
So do religious Jews. The women cover their arms, wear long skirts, wear thick stockings (not sheer) and instead of a head scarf its a wig to cover their hair and usually a hat. Western clothing, but following the modesty of their teachings. No different from the teachings of modesty in Islam.
If you bothered to read through this thread I mentioned already that Orthodox Jewish women dress conservatively as do the men. You don't see the men wearing T-shirts and jeans while their wives are conservatively dressed. Why aren't Muslim men wearing traditional Muslim garb when their wives and daughters are dressed that way?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:56 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you bothered to read through this thread I mentioned already that Orthodox Jewish women dress conservatively as do the men. You don't see the men wearing T-shirts and jeans while their wives are conservatively dressed. Why aren't Muslim men wearing traditional Muslim garb when their wives and daughters are dressed that way?
What exactly is "traditional (male) Muslim garb"?? Is a T-shirt and jeans "traditional American garb"?? Oh, wait, it is.

Muslim women who "dress that way" do so in the name of modesty. Do you have a problem with modesty? I guess that makes them "prudes". Modesty is something that many Americans have little, if any, value for. Anything goes seems to be the norm.

Why does it bother you what other people wear or why they wear it?? Are you the fashion police??

Old 06-01-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
How is any of this hateful? The poster whom you responded so enthusiastically with a "resounding yes" has called anyone who asks questions about Islam "stormfront rejects". Is that your feeling also on this subject?

I just report what I see when it comes to Muslims in my area---and there are quite a few of them. As I mentioned previously, I can tell you stories about how they treat their women and girls --- stories that make me both sad and angry.

Do you think it's okay for a man to wear a T-shirt and jeans while his wife and daughters are not allowed to dress that way?
Bold: You are lying. The poster is open to discussion with people who don't show willful ignorance and/or hate regarding Islam.

How do you go from dress to treatment/abuse? You think Muslim men "own" bad treatment/abuse? Do you know how many women died at the hands of their husbands or boyfriends because of bad treatment/abuse - and they weren't Muslims. How many children have been removed from homes or died as a result of abuse by fathers and/or mothers - and the father and/or mother wasn't a Muslim.

Yeah, I'm sure you are the go-to man for Muslim men who talk about how they "treat" their women and girls. Or are you just the neighborhood shoulder to lean on and the Muslim women/girls confide in you?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Summary of the story - and I'm being serious - she claims she is being discriminated for being Muslim bc the guy next to her got a can of unopened beer and her soda was opened by flight attendant.

Sorry but if you are sooo devout to your religion that you wear a cape to cover your face and head your whole life - should I believe you also won't do things to harm the 'infidels' as your religion also suggests?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Summary of the story - and I'm being serious - she claims she is being discriminated for being Muslim bc the guy next to her got a can of unopened beer and her soda was opened by flight attendant.

Sorry but if you are sooo devout to your religion that you wear a cape to cover your face and head your whole life - should I believe you also won't do things to harm the 'infidels' as your religion also suggests?
Well obviously the flight attendant didn't think the man getting the beer would use his tab as a weapon, but clearly thought the woman would.

She was wearing a hijab - she didn't have her face covered as you claim. I guess the hijab was enough for the flight attendant to see her as a threat. Do you look under your bed before you get in it??

Old 06-01-2015, 07:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
This is so ridiculous. The flight attended could and should have given the woman an unopened can.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How would you know that? Have you asked? How would you even recognize them as Muslims, secular or otherwise? I don't really put much faith in your alleged personal observations.

And yes, I did notice how you slipped the previously unmentioned category "secular Muslims" in there.

I just cited the figures form Pew research - 40% of US Muslim women who self-identify as Muslim never cover their heads. 36% always do. The remainder decide based on the occasion.

Force? Of course not. But many, many Muslim women choose to wear a hijab as an expression of faith. At least that's what they say, and who the hell am I - or you, for that matter - to call them liars? Orthodox Jewish women cover their hair, and you know what? I'm actually OK with that, too.
Exactly. There are also Christian women, such as many Anabaptists and others, who cover their hair.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:08 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
The last time I was forced to fly commercially, I asked for a full can of coke and was denied. The beer was bought and paid for on the spot. The woman needs to park her outraged.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The last time I was forced to fly commercially, I asked for a full can of coke and was denied. The beer was bought and paid for on the spot. The woman needs to park her outraged.
What reason did the flight attendant give you for denying your request?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:07 AM

493 posts, read 385,971 times
Why are hijabs even allowed inside planes? God knows what you could hide behind them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies