Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times

Advertisements

Jerry Seinfeld Says Colleges Are Too Politically Correct, Kids Don't Understand Racism Or Sexism

Here's the actual interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP769IdU_YE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times
I think colleges ironically are un-PC, since they have been widening the class divide. Then again, being classist seems to be PC even though being racist is pretty much the same kind of behavior.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think colleges ironically are un-PC, since they have been widening the class divide. Then again, being classist seems to be PC even though being racist is pretty much the same kind of behavior.
If colleges can't handle comedy, then they have an issue. I'm not a Seinfeld fan minus his cars and coffee bit, but this seems pretty telling.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Progressives are humorless anyway. It's why the best comedians are right wingers.

Leftists have been trying to shut down free speech since even before the Soviet. When they can't, it's incumbent for them to desperately have the last word in any one-on-one debate, staying up all night if they have to.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:17 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Seinfeld is an old fool. There is plenty of racism and sexism outside of the classroom for the students to experience.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Progressives are humorless anyway. It's why the best comedians are right wingers.

Leftists have been trying to shut down free speech since even before the Soviet. When they can't, it's incumbent for them to have the last word, like Seacove on the health exchange thread.
Depends who the best are in your opinion. I've voted like a republican I like watching Louis C.K. a lot and he seems pretty liberal. Chris Rock as well. They seem to have also voiced similar concerns regarding colleges as well. Chris Rock called them conservative, but not in a political sense.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Such as?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:42 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Seinfeld always struck me as a smart guy. I agree. I'm in college, and it's very PC. Making a joke can get you into a lot of trouble. I've seen comedians get booed for it, and it bothers me. There's a difference between actually having a problem with group X and poking fun at a group just to have a laugh.

Jim Jefferies has a bit wear he makes fun of Christians, and during the joke, notices that fewer people are laughing and points out they had no problem when he made fun of Native Americans, Muslims, or women saying it wasn't 'very Christian' of them.

People are too self important to laugh at a joke. Comedians are there to make fun, not affirm any bias or opinion you have. If you can't laugh at your own views, you're an idiot; you clearly don't understand your own views if opposing ideas (especially in the form of satire) offend you.

Quote:

Leftists have been trying to shut down free speech since even before the Soviet. When they can't, it's incumbent for them to desperately have the last word in any one-on-one debate, staying up all night if they have to.
The worst comedians are partisan. The best ones make fun of everyone.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Seinfeld always struck me as a smart guy. I agree. I'm in college, and it's very PC. Making a joke can get you into a lot of trouble. I've seen comedians get booed for it, and it bothers me. There's a difference between actually having a problem with group X and poking fun at a group just to have a laugh.

Jim Jefferies has a bit wear he makes fun of Christians, and during the joke, notices that fewer people are laughing and points out they had no problem when he made fun of Native Americans, Muslims, or women saying it wasn't 'very Christian' of them.

People are too self important to laugh at a joke. Comedians are there to make fun, not affirm any bias or opinion you have. If you can't laugh at your own views, you're an idiot; you clearly don't understand your own views if opposing ideas (especially in the form of satire) offend you.

The worst comedians are partisan.
You're mistaking their material for their personal views--the two aren't associative until you read of their politics outside of the vocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The best ones make fun of everyone.
What an unusual statement.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
Colleges have turned into bubbles that assure their students are completely unprepared for the real world once they escape the warm and cozy confines of their universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies