Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,698,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Agreed! The best comedians are apolitical. The idea behind comedy is that EVERYTHING and EVERYONE are fair game. IF people can't laugh at themselves, they have no sense of humor.

Seinfield is spot on. Why should he play at a college only to be dragged through the dirt as a racist, or a phobe, or worse.

How political correctness drove away comedians from campus

Chris Rock told New York he called it quits with students years ago because of “their social views and their willingness to not offend anybody.”

I think Rock is hillarious, but if I were PC I would be utterly offended by his routines!

It's a sad day when you can't say anything for fear of offending any single person. The entire premise of the 1st Amendment is to protect the speech you don't like, not the speech you like.

That doesn't even make sense. What does widening the class divide have to do with politcal correctness?
I heard Chris make that comment about not playing at colleges anymore. This is what liberals have done to America, turned our young people into a mob of intolerant thought police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Colleges only have a sense of humor if the comedian is making fun of Republicans, conservative commentators, a minority comedian making fun of white people, or a woman comedian making fun of men.
Libs seem to love Louis CK, a man who has made horribly offensive, and cruel jokes about Palin, not laugh with her jokes, but mean, ugly slanders disguised as jokes because, he snickered afterwards. Some comedians make hate filled rants against people they truly hate, and hide behind their words as if they were just satire.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM

102,263 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Colleges have turned into bubbles that assure their students are completely unprepared for the real world once they escape the warm and cozy confines of their universities.
Colleges have always been bubbles. That's the whole point of organizing a university into a campus. Europe doesn't do that. The university departments are scattered throughout the city, there. The US came up with the concept of college as a bubble. Think about the Depression: kids on campuses were isolated from what was going on in society at that time. Whether they were on scholarships and grants or studying on their parents' dime, they were living in a protected little world.

And inside this protected little world, unlike the world outside it, everyone was equal. Once you were in the bubble, it didn't matter if you were from the wrong side of the tracks or your parents lived in one of the Hoovervilles, the tent communities; no one knew where you were from or whether you were there on scholarship or your parents paid your way. You could, and did, socialize with everyone. Admission to the bubble meant you were on an equal footing with everyone. The bubble was magic, that way.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-09-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Colleges have always been bubbles. That's the whole point of organizing a university into a campus. Europe doesn't do that. The university departments are scattered throughout the city, there. The US came up with the concept of college as a bubble. Think about the Depression: kids on campuses were isolated from what was going on in society at that time. Whether they were on scholarships and grants or studying on their parents' dime, they were living in a protected little world.

And inside this protected little world, unlike the world outside it, everyone was equal. Once you were in the bubble, it didn't matter if you were from the wrong side of the tracks or your parents lived in one of the Hoovervilles, the tent communities; no one knew where you were from or whether you were there on scholarship or your parents paid your way. You could, and did, socialize with everyone. Admission to the bubble meant you were on an equal footing with everyone. The bubble was magic, in that way.
Political correctness in our colleges has been going on for decades, it's not a fade or a bubble, it's been institutionalized in American society.

Political correctness is the process of assuming to know what a person is thinking, taking every word the person might say, and applying the worst case scenario, to assume the most vile and most horrible intentions of the person speaking.

Political correctness is why i cannot say a person was dancing the ***, not because I was referring to a person dancing to a lively festive Irish folk song melody, but because I must have had some horribly racist intent and the censors on this forum had to blank it out.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,891,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Colleges have turned into bubbles that assure their students are completely unprepared for the real world once they escape the warm and cozy confines of their universities.
George Carlin was NOT a comedian.

He was a lecturer, who could hold an audience's attention.

He was not allowed to lecture at colleges or on University campuses.

And, he was only allowed to lecture in public, if he agreed to call his lectures, comedy.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,716,412 times
What Jerry is lamenting is once it was comedy that was on the front lines of; diversity, civil rights and activism. It was comics who taught us that we were different from one another but thats alright. Whether it was the Borscht Belt comics making Jewish jokes, Geoffrey Cambrige making "Negro" jokes, Dick Gregory's political commentary wrapped up in humor, Foster Brooks getting laughs playing a drunk or Lenny Bruce cursing on stage, it was them who push the envelope and made us look at our selves by what we are laughing at.

Richard Pryor's use of the N word taught us that it was different when black people used the N word and when I heard an Italian friend tell a joke using the words **** and wop I knew I couldn't re-tell that Joke. Today's colleges and schools want to reinforce the message that we are not different, but we are all the same and if you see something different about someone you are supposed to "embrace " it and don't laugh even if it is funny.

When Micheal Richard came under fire for simply being funnier that two guys who came to heckle him I thought the out cry was ridiculous. Its like saying I'll go one on with Lebron but no dunking or three pointers. I think anything a comedian says or does with in the boundaries of his act is fair game. People today are uncomfortable suppressing their laughter at what they think is an Un-PC joke. They would rather the comic not point out that those things still makes us laugh.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:50 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,716,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What Jerry is lamenting is once it was comedy that was on the front lines of; diversity, civil rights and activism. It was comics who taught us that we were different from one another but thats alright. Whether it was the Borscht Belt comics making Jewish jokes, Geoffrey Cambrige making "Negro" jokes, Dick Gregory's political commentary wrapped up in humor, Foster Brooks getting laughs playing a drunk or Lenny Bruce cursing on stage, it was them who push the envelope and made us look at our selves by what we are laughing at.

Richard Pryor's use of the N word taught us that it was different when black people used the N word and when I heard an Italian friend tell a joke using the words **** and wop I knew I couldn't re-tell that Joke. Today's colleges and schools want to reinforce the message that we are not different, but we are all the same and if you see something different about someone you are supposed to "embrace " it and don't laugh even if it is funny.

When Micheal Richard came under fire for simply being funnier that two guys who came to heckle him I thought the out cry was ridiculous. Its like saying I'll go one on with Lebron but no dunking or three pointers. I think anything a comedian says or does with in the boundaries of his act is fair game. People today are uncomfortable suppressing their laughter at what they think is an Un-PC joke. They would rather the comic not point out that those things still makes us laugh.
What Jerry is lamenting is once it was comedy that was on the front lines of; diversity, civil rights and activism. It was comics who taught us that we were different from one another but that’s alright. Whether it was the Borscht Belt comics making Jewish jokes, Geoffrey Cambridge making "Negro" jokes, Dick Gregory's political commentary wrapped up in humor, Foster Brooks getting laughs playing a drunk or Lenny Bruce cursing on stage, it was them who push the envelope and made us look at ourselves by what we are laughing at.

Richard Pryor's use of the N word taught us that it was different when black people used the N word and when I heard an Italian friend tell a joke using the words **** and wop I knew I couldn't re-tell that Joke. Today's colleges and schools want to reinforce the message that we are not different, but we are all the same and if you see something different about someone you are supposed to "embrace” it and don't laugh even if it is funny.

When Michael Richards came under fire for simply being funnier than two guys who came to heckle him I thought the outcry was ridiculous. It’s like saying I'll go one on one with LeBron but no dunking or three pointers. I think anything a comedian says or does within the boundaries of his act is fair game. People today are uncomfortable suppressing their laughter at what they think is a Un-PC joke. They would rather the comic not point out that those things still makes us laugh.

edited

Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,952,964 times
Trigger warning for you current college students: He's correct. Sorry. Now go see your counselor to ease the pain.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,820,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Trigger warning for you current college students: He's correct. Sorry. Now go see your counselor to ease the pain.
Aaack! That's a micro-aggression.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,773,603 times
I guess I don't have any regrets going to community college. I was in a more technical field when I was younger and I went the cheaper route as it was all I could afford. One thing that I wish I could experience was the social interactions in 4-year colleges but such is life. No debt and I'm in a great paying job that I enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies