Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:44 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Agreed! The best comedians are apolitical. The idea behind comedy is that EVERYTHING and EVERYONE are fair game. IF people can't laugh at themselves, they have no sense of humor.

Seinfield is spot on. Why should he play at a college only to be dragged through the dirt as a racist, or a phobe, or worse.

How political correctness drove away comedians from campus

Chris Rock told New York he called it quits with students years ago because of “their social views and their willingness to not offend anybody.”

I think Rock is hillarious, but if I were PC I would be utterly offended by his routines!

It's a sad day when you can't say anything for fear of offending any single person. The entire premise of the 1st Amendment is to protect the speech you don't like, not the speech you like.

That doesn't even make sense. What does widening the class divide have to do with politcal correctness?

I like Chris Rock, and in fact I like all comedy, because I like to laugh. Be it raunchy like Chris Rock, or like Seinfeld. My favorite of all time was the late Sam Kinison. Definitely not for the feint hearted if you're offended easily, and I have to wonder were he alive today if he would have survived long in today's PC world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 02:00 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I thought one of the purposes of college is to challenge the ideas of old farts like Jerry and to experiment and push limits and boundaries?

Jerry is having what I would call a generational moment where somewhere along the way he has become the old curmudgeon talking about how kids are these days lol.

Lastly, I think that universities range so much in their nature that it's nearly impossible to pigeonhole them with broad claims. You have such a broad range of drinking\daycare type schools, sports schools, academic schools, private "issues" schools where hacky sack is considered "violent" and everything in-between lol.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:13 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Your link and your thread title say the opposite.
Correct. My phone didn't catch that. Hopefully a mod will correct this.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Jerry is having what I would call a generational moment where somewhere along the way he has become the old curmudgeon talking about how kids are these days lol.
The ultimate example is David Letterman. Wow, did he become a bitter person.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Progressives are humorless anyway. It's why the best comedians are right wingers.

Your stand up act just made me laugh.

Was that a bit?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:03 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
I just told you--in the post immediately prior--that any association between the artist's work and her political views doesn't become apparent untless some other information emerges. Please explain how humor must intersect politics or political bent in a delivery for it to be useful. On the contrary, effective comedians will insist that political humor isn't funny (unless you like the Capitol Steps or Mark Russell*). Which isn't to say that politicians can't be the butt of jokes.

How can you read what I just said: "You're mistaking their material for their personal views--the two aren't associative until you read of their politics outside of the vocation," and think that it can disprove that conservatives are funnier comedians?

Why do progressives say "ilk" (and "spew") so much?

-
* Are they liberals? They're on PBS an awful lot.
But then there is no correlation between politics and someone's comedy, as you asserted. Even if your original statement, conservative comedians are funner, is true, it would be true only by random chance and be completely unattached to their political leanings.

By the way, I'd nominate Louis CK as being the funnier comedian at the moment. I wouldn't say he's conservative. He's the opposite of PC and never practices self censorship, but he's talked about certain political views that would put him center left for the most part. Though I wouldn't say he's hugely into politics to begin with.

So I'll just ask, what conservative comedians are out there that are funny?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Colleges only have a sense of humor if the comedian is making fun of Republicans, conservative commentators, a minority comedian making fun of white people, or a woman comedian making fun of men.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:11 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
Quote:
Progressives are humorless anyway. It's why the best comedians are right wingers.
Also there is nothing that is positive or beneficial to society that liberals do well, and conservatives do everything right and are perfect.

The purpose of this board is to make sure that everyone knows this.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 AM

49 posts, read 70,465 times
I took a community college Political Science class for the heck of it in Mesa, AZ. A younger guy voiced his support for 1070 which here in Arizona is pretty broadly supported at least in the Phoenix area. The prof. had not interest in debating with him, he was simply shot down and called "no better than Hitler or Franco", the professor did not engage in ideological debate just simply berated the student and launched a character assassination kind of diatribe, the young man actually said "would you like to debate with me and help me see your point of view or would you like to insult me?". When the woman kept going on he walked out.

This was a night class at a community college in deep red Mesa Arizona. I couldn't possibly imagine the thought stifling climate present at major universities.

I'm a fiscal conservative and social moderate and I don't really take strong political positions besides stopping government waste and curbing illegal migrants entering the U.S., however I have no problem taking a class from a liberal professor who wants to espouse liberal views provided they are not radical (anti-capitalism/anarchism/praise of Marx kind of things) but I also think that it's important to have IDEOLOGICAL DIVERSITY at universities. The idea is to create critical thinkers who draw their own conclusions, not little comrade type yes men and women who are shamed into a far left party line.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
"Colleges are like old-age homes, except for the fact that more people die in colleges".

- Bob Dylan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies