Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Funny, blacks aren't quite fond of republicans but yet they would share some of their primitive views.
Religion is the common thread.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
OK, so I should be able to marry my dog, sister, aunt or my son? That seems to be your implication.
Obviously dogs are not able to be legally bound to a contract, nor are they sentient beings capable of understanding what marriage is.

However, if gay marriage is legal then I see no reason why polygamy shouldn't be legal between consenting adults as the whole "a man and a woman" argument is thrown out.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:52 PM

613 posts, read 463,119 times
Do we really need another thread shaming Blacks? -_-

Just so you know, at least the gay community, this attitude isn't held by only blacks.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
On both sides, people are preparing for the ruling by the United States Supreme Court that will almost certainly come no later than the morning of Monday, June 29th, and will very likely find that all nationwide bans on same-sex marriage are unconstitutional.

On one side, activists are planning to celebrate the expansion of marriage rights.

On the other side, activists are planning on whining.

Quote:
"We want to help people, but we are not going to be forced by the government and society or the politically correct to say we are going to believe in it," said Smothermon, senior pastor of Legacy Church in Albuquerque. "If they said, 'Listen pastor, we are going to put you in jail if you don't honor this.' I am going to say, 'Then put me in jail.' "
Quote:
Already, two Republican presidential candidates, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum, have added their names to the Defend Marriage Pledge, the online document Smothermon and 50,000 other people have signed in which they vow to ignore the Court's ruling if it violates the teachings of their faiths.
Activists prepare for gay marriage decision - CNNPolitics.com

Um... huh?

So they're going to ignore the ruling? That's fine. This won't be a ruling that requires anything of any individual - it will merely allow individuals everywhere to marry a consenting adult of the same gender. Just like every one of the dozens of court rulings we've already had striking down same-sex marriage bans.

Here's a clue, geniuses - civil disobedience doesn't work when you're not actually required to do anything...

No church or religious leader will be required to marry anyone. It hasn't happened in any state where it is now legal (37 states) in the eleven years since it became legal for the first time (Massachusetts, 2004). No one has ever been required to marry an interracial couple, or perform an interfaith marriage. Businesses - including churches, for those churches that choose to enter the commercial realm - will have to obey commercial law. But that's their choice. No church is require to operate commercially.

I have to admit, I'll mostly be happy that gays will be free of discriminatory marriage laws - but I'll also enjoy seeing the unhappiness of those whose anti-gay animus will no longer be codified in the law. They should be ashamed of themselves, but since they won't be I'll enjoy just a little bit of schadenfreude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies