Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkc View Post
Explain why single payer wouldn't work here. Japan, Italy, and UK all have single payer and I am pretty sure have large non-productive populations. We already cover most of the non-productive people with Medicare, Medicaid, and health care for children.
Right now it's because we can't pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Even though I benefit from the ACA I almost want to see this happen. The comedic value of watching the GOP get exactly what claim they want and then have no idea what to do with it would be priceless.
The GOP owns both the House and Senate because of their promises to defeat Obamacare. Granted, they were lying about what they want but they only lose if they try and save it.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,093,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The GOP owns both the House and Senate because of their promises to defeat Obamacare. Granted, they were lying about what they want but they only lose if they try and save it.
Actually, I think this is a lose/lose situation for the GOP. If the SC rules in favor of the plaintiffs and the GOP doesn't try to salvage the law they will suffer the wrath of the millions of people who will suddenly find themselves kicked off their healthcare. And if they try to act like adults and do the minor fix to keep the law intact they will suffer the wrath of their recalcitrant base. There is no consensus within the party to do anything outside of those two things, so what is their best scenario here?

There is no good way out for the GOP. And it's a box they built and nailed themselves into without any help from the left.

Fun times ahead...

Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think this is a lose/lose situation for the GOP. If the SC rules in favor of the plaintiffs and the GOP doesn't try to salvage the law they will suffer the wrath of the millions of people who will suddenly find themselves kicked off their healthcare.
Most were already kicked off their healthcare plans. One's they liked. All it will mean is that they can go back to them. They aren't going to be upset.

Quote:
And if they try to act like adults and do the minor fix to keep the law intact they will suffer the wrath of their recalcitrant base. There is no consensus within the party to do anything outside of those two things, so what is their best scenario here?

There is no good way out for the GOP. And it's a box they built and nailed themselves into without any help from the left.

Fun times ahead...
Odd you would think that those who created the mess won't get blamed. Obamacare is still not popular.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law

Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,771,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkc View Post
Explain why single payer wouldn't work here. Japan, Italy, and UK all have single payer and I am pretty sure have large non-productive populations. We already cover most of the non-productive people with Medicare, Medicaid, and health care for children.
Explain how it would work. Explain how much it would cost the average tax payer.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Explain how it would work. Explain how much it would cost the average tax payer.
It might not cost them much of anything if we would quit wasting trillions in places we have no business wasting the money.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,093,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
Most were already kicked off their healthcare plans. One's they liked. All it will mean is that they can go back to them. They aren't going to be upset.
They were kicked off plans that didn't meet basic healthcare needs, but were able to buy into plans that did. But that's not the case for the millions who had no access to healthcare before and do now. People like me who work for small companies that don't offer healthcare, or people who are self-employed, or people who had preexisting conditions and were locked out, or people who exceeded their lifetime caps. There are millions of people who benefit from the ACA that aren't covered in your myopic scenario who are not going to be happy if the ACA is struck down. And make no mistake, the GOP is acutely aware of this potential minefield as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
Odd you would think that those who created the mess won't get blamed. Obamacare is still not popular.
I guess we'll see where the blame is placed should the ACA be struck down and the chaos that would ensue in the immediate aftermath, but I'm thinking it will not be the left who suffers the fallout. Whatever you think of the ACA, the Democrats at least attempted to solve a problem. The same can't be said for the Republicans.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
They were kicked off plans that didn't meet basic healthcare needs, but were able to buy into plans that did.
That's false so there really is no need to continue with this discussion.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,771,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It might not cost them much of anything if we would quit wasting trillions in places we have no business wasting the money.
That would be nice if our government (Republicans and Democrats) would cut military spending and quit with the endless wars. I'd be all for it but we all know that they won't so we're going to have to pay for Universal Healthcare with more of our taxes. How much more is what I'd like to know.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
But the King v Burwell case is certainly a right wing action.
Enforcement of laws, is something both sides should agree upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies