Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 PM

366 posts, read 596,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If you looked black then you will be treated black there fore you will experience life as a black person.
Does this mean that very light skinned or albino black people will experience life as white people?

Old 06-13-2015, 12:52 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,347,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Rachel Dolezal, Spokane NAACP leader, falsely portrays herself as black, family says - Washington Times

Maybe she just feels like a black woman on the inside. Who are we to judge her?
Worked for Elizabeth Warren too. She got into school pretending she was a "native American."

Old 06-13-2015, 01:02 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,707,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Does this mean that very light skinned or albino black people will experience life as white people?
No, because most people are intelligent enough to see they are still black people. Even you wrote that they are still black people although light skinned. The story about Pike County Ohio deals eloquently with this issue. "As Black as we Wish to be" When it comes to race you are what people think you are.
Pike County, OH: As Black as We Wish to Be - State of the Re:Union

"...in the Appalachian foothills of Ohio where, for a century, residents have shared the common bond of identifying as African-American despite the fact that they look white."

Old 06-13-2015, 01:08 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,960,998 times
South Park is always so ahead of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJH5AR0CuRI

Old 06-13-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
No, because most people are intelligent enough to see they are still black people. Even you wrote that they are still black people although light skinned. The story about Pike County Ohio deals eloquently with this issue. "As Black as we Wish to be" When it comes to race you are what people think you are.
Pike County, OH: As Black as We Wish to Be - State of the Re:Union

"...in the Appalachian foothills of Ohio where, for a century, residents have shared the common bond of identifying as African-American despite the fact that they look white."
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that if someone looks black, even if they are actually white, they are black because everyone else believes they are black. But a black person who looks white can never be white because they won't fool anyone? I generally consider myself to be a smart guy but this is really confusing me.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:30 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,707,820 times
Good, it is supposed to be confusing because it is illogical that we assign cultural and behavioral characteristics to individuals based only on how they look. I am reminded that when Lewis and Clark convinced a group of Native Americans that they were traveling with a "Black Man" and made all effort to explain that this man was different from them. Once York arrived and the Native Americans saw him they were confused because they not only couldn't see any thing different from him and the others but the name they gave him translated to "black skin white man."

Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Good, it is supposed to be confusing because it is illogical that we assign cultural and behavioral characteristics to individuals based only on how they look. I am reminded that when Lewis and Clark convinced a group of Native Americans that they were traveling with a "Black Man" and made all effort to explain that this man was different from them. Once York arrived and the Native Americans saw him they were confused because they not only couldn't see any thing different from him and the others but the name they gave him translated to "black skin white man."
You're right, it is ridiculous to assign cultural and behavioral characteristics on any set of criteria other than actual behavior and culture. Which is why we don't do that (or at least, anyone who has ditched the silly reductionist idea of race being all about skin color). There are distinct genetic differences between the groups of people we commonly define as "races". We can even go further and divide them up into ethnic groups and still have pretty distinct genetic markers in most cases. If you want proof, there are genetic testing services out there than can tell you with a remarkable degree of accuracy what part of the planet your ancestors came from.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:23 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,957,080 times
Quote:
Rachel Dolezal, Spokane NAACP leader, falsely portrays herself as black, family says - Washington Times

But if you're born a man but want to be a woman I have to call you that. if you're born white and want to be black I can't do that?

Now I am all confused.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well...not much to say on this one. Too weird.

She's a nice looking lady, and if she has no black roots whatsoever, she's doing a pretty good job of making herself racially ambiguous. But she's definitely more white than anything else.

But then, a hell of a lot of African Americans are. Heck, even Henry Louis Gates is half white.

So is Obama...and he has no African American Blood in him.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,150,610 times
Quote:

I want my race reassigned, at public expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies