Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, this person believes that if we as a society have determined that what you feel inside is how you should be defined then that should not just be limited to gender. And (cough*cough) they can do DNA tests to identify your genetic racial makeup, that means there is a biological difference between the races. It's only racist if you think a person's race makes them either inferior or superior.
I agree completely with all of this.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
D.P. Moynihan said it best.

'You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.'

Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Or maybe we believe it because we've personally experienced it. What a transgender person feels to be his/her own individual "truth" is no more valid than anyone else's. If Bruce Jenner is a woman, I'm white.
This is a misconception. Bruce Jenner is perfectly well aware he is a man, just as everyone else is. Otherwise, there would be no struggle with identity. Feeling like you should be a woman and knowing you are physiologically a man are not mutually exclusive. They just are not compatible states of being for some. So now she is Caitlyn Jenner, because she had to make a choice.

So she's chosen to live as closely as possible as a woman, by whatever means suits, because she is driven to do so (by some biologic imperative, IMHO). And has been before she knew what that meant, and that it was even a thing.

I am not aware of young children strongly identifying themselves as another race at a young age, without knowledge of the full ramifications of such. If anyone has studies, proof, or even anecdotes about this please feel free to post, I have an open mind about it.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
There may be a biological basis for someone strongly identifying themselves as being the opposite gender.
And Sasquatch may be roaming the wilds of the Pacific Northwest. But until there is definitive proof, we cannot proceed that assumption is true. You can't build a fact on a maybe.

Scientists have been trying to find "the gay gene" or the "transgender gene" for decades, and so far all the scientific data shows there is no genetic basis for sexual identity. The science on it is so overwhelming at this point that all but the most militant wings of the gay rights movement have given up on this argument. The science just isn't there.

But Bruce Jenner never claimed he was genetically a woman. He claimed that he always felt like a woman, and felt trapped in his male body. It was all about feelings. If a supposed "transracial" individual feels black or white or whatever, if feelings are all that matter, then who are we to say this lady isn't black? Isn't that just being intolerant? Maybe even hateful? Maybe even transraciophobic?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 AM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We accepted the transgenders and even made laws for them..all those bathroom laws folks.
Did people think it would stop there ?

Now we have transrace. Yes, society should afford them the same protections as they do transgenders.

It's laughable that the transgenders want to keep anything "trans" to themselves.
My sentiment exactly. Yep, it is coming to Fruition. As long as you are a consenting adult there are no sacred cows. First Gays, Bis, TG, now Trans-racials. Next Polygamy and Polyamory. Actually, as long as they are consenting adults I really don't feel I should interfere with their right to do what they want. Having to identify every rapidly changing sub group is beyond most peoples ability though.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And Sasquatch may be roaming the wilds of the Pacific Northwest. But until there is definitive proof, we cannot proceed that assumption is true. You can't build a fact on a maybe.

Scientists have been trying to find "the gay gene" or the "transgender gene" for decades, and so far all the scientific data shows there is no genetic basis for sexual identity. The science on it is so overwhelming at this point that all but the most militant wings of the gay rights movement have given up on this argument. The science just isn't there.

But Bruce Jenner never claimed he was genetically a woman. He claimed that he always felt like a woman, and felt trapped in his male body. It was all about feelings. If a supposed "transracial" individual feels black or white or whatever, if feelings are all that matter, then who are we to say this lady isn't black? Isn't that just being intolerant? Maybe even hateful? Maybe even transraciophobic?
Feelings are biology.

Do you ever feel hungry, feel horny, feel scared, feel like fighting off the guy that's about to kill your family?

Feelings aren't small things of no consequence. They drive everything we do. Without them we wouldn't survive.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This is a misconception. Bruce Jenner is perfectly well aware he is a man, just as everyone else is. Otherwise, there would be no struggle with identity. Feeling like you should be a woman and knowing you are physiologically a man are not mutually exclusive. They just are not compatible states of being for some. So now she is Caitlyn Jenner, because she had to make a choice.

So she's chosen to live as closely as possible as a woman, by whatever means suits, because she is driven to do so (by some biologic imperative, IMHO). And has been before she knew what that meant, and that it was even a thing.

I am not aware of young children strongly identifying themselves as another race at a young age, without knowledge of the full ramifications of such. If anyone has studies, proof, or even anecdotes about this please feel free to post, I have an open mind about it.

Considering the change in gene expression and brain development and changes between childhood and up to and after adolescence there's no need for it to have to occur in childhood. Presumably, if we are talking genetic predisposition, we are not talking about the same combination of genes.

I think what we have here is two things:
1) Her need to identify as black should be as acceptable as any man's need to identify as a woman, or vice versa. Accept both or neither, don't discriminate.
2) However, her actively fabricating stories of black experience and deceiving others ... whoa!

Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, this person believes that if we as a society have determined that what you feel inside is how you should be defined then that should not just be limited to gender. And (cough*cough) they can do DNA tests to identify your genetic racial makeup, that means there is a biological difference between the races. It's only racist if you think a person's race makes them either inferior or superior.
Not biological to the point that we are different because we are of different races. There are biological differences between me and my fellow white friend because we have different ancestry. She comes from northern Europe, my family also comes from the Mediterranean. That makes us look different and have slightly different genes and characteristics. Her family is predisposed to type 1 diabetes, mine is not. She has multiple autoimmune diseases, I do not. Those are biological differences. But we're still both human. We're both females. We're both white.

Transgender people actually have an imbalance within their bodies. Something is missing, or something that should not be there has replaced what should be there. It's a chemical malfunction that happens in the womb, likely. Like I said before - something went wrong. This is impossible to occur for different races because there is no biological difference between races. Nothing can go wrong that will suddenly make you black or white or Asian in the womb (not without any family history of someone marrying a black guy two generations ago or something - even then you are biracial and can identity with either race or both races) and give you an identity crisis from a very young age.

If someone starts to "feel" a different race, it occurs later in life. It occurs after exposure to other races (and finally understanding the concept of race because somebody has told it to you) and knowing there are cultural differences between both races and ethnicities, there are perks and drawbacks to being any race (because of the social construct of the idea that race matters), and maybe after you've spent significant time with people of another race and start to feel very comfortable around them. A transgender person knows before they can even conceptualize gender, sex, and what the hell is going on with themselves. All they know is something feels wrong. It is not a choice they make. A three year child can tell his mother he feels like a girl even though he has no clue why or how. It's not the same for race because there is no biological difference between races on the same level as that between a male and female - different sex organs, different hormones that causes that change at a biological level. That's the difference.

If someone wants to call themselves another race and identify with that, whatever. Do what you want. I have a problem with people claiming it's the same as being transgender because the process is not the same. It literally cannot be, on a biological level.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:50 AM

625 posts, read 624,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Which is psychological. Not biological.

As a black woman, she does not have to work harder in the field of civil rights. A black person is the perfect person to represent civil rights and expose racism and work to put an end to it.
You misread my post. I said she would have had to work harder as a WHITE woman in the field of civil rights.

Quote:
She has an agenda here. Her sharing stories of alleged (false) whippings because she's black and growing up in a South African teepee (teepee ) and being beaten by her white stepfather (who is actually her biological father) just for being black, and receiving hate mail, fits her agenda.
I agree, she absolutely has/had an agenda. Part of her agenda seemed to be genuine in terms of civil rights work. Agreed. And her experiences (though likely many/most of them were lies) did make her more relatable.

Quote:
that points more to having a mental illness than an identify crisis.
Again I agree. I'm not sure if being a chronic liar is a mental illness, but she certainly seems to have some kind of internal struggle going on.

She's done good work in her field. It'll be interesting to see where she falls after the dust settles. Will she be fade away as the late-night joke of the month and just another pop culture footnote or will she be a pioneer in race relations/understanding? Time will tell.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Considering the change in gene expression and brain development and changes between childhood and up to and after adolescence there's no need for it to have to occur in childhood. Presumably, if we are talking genetic predisposition, we are not talking about the same combination of genes.

I think what we have here is two things:
1) Her need to identify as black should be as acceptable as any man's need to identify as a woman, or vice versa. Accept both or neither, don't discriminate.
2) However, her actively fabricating stories of black experience and deceiving others ... whoa!
Yes, you got it. That's what makes me skeptical that this "need" is anything other than a want to exploit an opportunity or support some pathological delusion.

Transgenders don't generally (afaik) make up a fake life predicated on having been the opposite gender, hence the whole transitioning part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies