Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 06:19 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
So a bunch of guys in the late 1700's wrote a bunch of rules. They also knew that, "Hey, maybe these rules won't be very good one day, so let's put in a process to amend them".

The constitution is not some sacred document that cannot be changed. It is a living, evolving document that has been changed in the course of US history and will continue to be changed.

The 2nd amendment needs to be modified. Time to join the rest of the first world in 2015.
I agree. The preface "A well regulated militia" needs to be dropped, to keep some revisionists from trying to twist the meaning of a simple passage.

"The right to keep and bear arms is an individual right; the rights of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms may not be infringed or restricted by any governmental body".

Old 06-19-2015, 06:23 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My son made a point (rare for him since his is pretty liberal) that he should not have been arrested alive. I agree.

He should have had least gotten the same treatment as the 14 year old black girl at the pool party.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 06-19-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Speaks volumes that the conditional always gets dropped....

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State....
lol so how do you infringe on government and the national guard from having arms to the point they need to be protected in the 2nd amendment?

That is akin to saying the NSA has rights protected in the 1st and 4th amendments.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Speaks volumes that the conditional always gets dropped....

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State....
Speaks volumes that this argument has gone to the supreme court, and been resolved.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Roof had a pending felony charge.

If he bought the gun then the gun shop is at fault.
If his father gave him the gun then the father is at fault.

The true story needs to come out and someone needs to be held accountable for letting Roof have a gun.
The gun store would not be at fault if a 4473 was filled out and the background check came back clean.
Maybe the state didn't report a PENDING felony charge to the Feds.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
He was insane, no one who is of sound mind and body would do this. I mean, of all the places where this murderer could have gone, why not gang infested areas, why a church full of good people who never hurt anyone?

I don't know anything about these white Supremacy groups, are they calling out for people to murder blacks in churches, sort of like ISIL telling Muslims in America to do?

I've heard people from the New Black Panthers calling for murdering whites:

“You want freedom? You’re gonna have to kill some crackers! You’re gonna have to kill some of their babies!”

‘Want freedom? Kill some crackers!’

People like Shabazz and Roof, have so much hate inside them that they have become mentally unstable.
Many will say that he was insane but if one were to think about that for a moment. one would realize that one was unfairly placing blame on mental illness. The mentally ill are far less likely to be perpetrators of violence and much more likely to be victims of it. He is a self identified white supremacist. I think we can leave it at that. The hatred in his heart was so strong that he believed Blacks were getting too much control and he took the lives of 9 and the peace of their families and friends. This is why I always say it is bad to 'other' those unlike us. Many here do it with Muslims. If a Muslim had committed this atrocity then the conservative right wingers here would be calling for the removal of all these terrorists. Heck, they already do it! Instead, we have cries of mental illness and attacks on Christianity. I believe his views and actions hit a little too close to home for some here. Too bad this young man did not find this site to keep his hatred to the keyboard and not outward to his fellow human being. Good night!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Of course! Just like its the only reason for a motor vehicle registry, eh?

The regressive argument that "confiscation is the only reason for a gun registry" is nonsense, nothing else.
Confiscation would be pretty difficult without a central database of gun owners.
No one knows what the political climate will be like in the future, confiscation is not out of the question when the makeup of the Supreme Court changes.
Anyone who values their 2A rights would never support registration.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
Maybe the answer is…gasp…FoxNews. They reported that the gun was given to him by his dad, for his birthday in April.
Alternative version is he rec'd cash and bought the gun himself.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:00 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unfortunately this will end up lumped in with one of the tired worn out gun threads.

This isn't surprising as the mentally ill have a right to privacy. Rights can be removed through due process.

Maybe some day we will discuss and consider this.

We haven't yet even though it's so often those diagnosed with issues and on drugs that might also be contributing that commits crimes like this.
This.

The national conversation on events such as these need to be steered away from Barack Obama -- whose credibility is seriously on the decline -- and towards the role of psychotropic drugs as well as other pharmaceutical medications that likely serve as the common denominator with he shooters.

Healthy, normal people -- those not on a steady cocktail of BigPharma's finest -- don't commit crimes like this.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Many will say that he was insane but if one were to think about that for a moment. one would realize that one was unfairly placing blame on mental illness. The mentally ill are far less likely to be perpetrators of violence and much more likely to be victims of it. He is a self identified white supremacist. I think we can leave it at that. The hatred in his heart was so strong that he believed Blacks were getting too much control and he took the lives of 9 and the peace of their families and friends. This is why I always say it is bad to 'other' those unlike us. Many here do it with Muslims. If a Muslim had committed this atrocity then the conservative right wingers here would be calling for the removal of all these terrorists. Heck, they already do it! Instead, we have cries of mental illness and attacks on Christianity. I believe his views and actions hit a little too close to home for some here. Too bad this young man did not find this site to keep his hatred to the keyboard and not outward to his fellow human being. Good night!
Mental illness cannot be ruled out at this point. He is the right age for the onset of schizophrenia and seems to have some of the symptoms.

Schizophrenia Usually Strikes First in Young Adults | World of Psychology

He sudden change in behavior, the deepening racism becoming and obsession (and his view are delusional). We'll just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies