Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 07:56 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,405,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL...This is not even worth responding to, even though I did respond, I'm not responding to the context of the post...
You say that because you know I'm right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,405,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Just a side note : The total number of people dying every day in the USA from all causes is approximately 6,600.
That puts the mass shooting death rate, a very small %, more in perspective.
So in other words, mass shootings are no big deal, and gun violence isn't worth worrying about. I'll rememeber that the next time some conservative starts a thread "concerned " about gun violence in Chicago.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:22 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,687,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So in other words, mass shootings are no big deal, and gun violence isn't worth worrying about. I'll rememeber that the next time some conservative starts a thread "concerned " about gun violence in Chicago.
I see you missed the word perspective.

Highly emotional topics as we can see. You may not be able to stop some nut from shooting you but you don't have to eat those jelly donuts. That is in your control. The point = How best to preserve your life.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,986,857 times
Quote:

Evil people who want to kill don't need just guns. Even if you were to ban guns there will always be murders committed regardless. The only people who will be left unprotected are the "law bidding" citzens who follow what laws are implemented. "Law bidding" citizens follow the laws criminals don't. The gangs aren't going to say..."Oh, they just passed a law so we should abide by it." Come on be real. Even if guns didn't exist there are a 100 plus ways to kill people. No law pass will stop evil. Evil people who commit murders won't care about laws. The only ones who suffer are the ones who can't defend themselves. Oh and as far as 911 crime doesn't wait for the cops to show up. That's just common sense reality. The law banning guns will only prevent citizens from protecting themselves that's all.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:19 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,966,468 times
Quote:
So in other words, mass shootings are no big deal, and gun violence isn't worth worrying about.
Exactly. NOW you "get it."

The kooks are going to get guns, machetes or hammers it doesn't matter what you do. Let the sane people and law take them down. I really don't care if a nut case has a gun. I have a gun and I guaranty I am a LOT better with it than they are. Problem solved, end of story.

And meanwhile in other news... dozens, maybe hundreds of unarmed people around the world were killed or wounded by men in uniforms and turbans with guns, who also blew up their homes, raped their women, tossed gays off roofs, and did what barbarians generally do to unarmed populations in about a dozen countries around the world.

And wouldn't it be nice if humanity could get along and stop killing each other long enough to like maybe figure out a way to not completely destroy the planet until we can figure out a way to get off it and find somebody else's planet to trash.

Priorities people.

Last edited by jamies; 06-20-2015 at 01:05 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Well, it would be nice if crazy people wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us. More control of crazy people is what is needed.
It's not politically correct to control crazy people ... All of the mental hospitals were closed because somebody somewhere thought of how nice it would be to allow crazy people the freedom to wander the streets.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,468,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Now tell me who didn't see that coming. Another well though out knee jerk reaction.

Obama: Church Shooting 'Raises Questions About a Dark Part of Our History' - NBC News
It's not a "knee jerk reaction" when this kind of massacre happens every other month and the USA has orders of magnitude higher per-capita homicide rates than the rest of the civilized world.

What have conservatives proposed that has helped stop this? Nothing. We are already drowning in guns and it still hasn't helped.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's not a "knee jerk reaction" when this kind of massacre happens every other month and the USA has orders of magnitude higher per-capita homicide rates than the rest of the civilized world.

What have conservatives proposed that has helped stop this? Nothing. We are already drowning in guns and it still hasn't helped.
Getting rid of gun free zones. Supporting the responsible ownership of guns.

What has the left done ? Support the ban and regulation of guns that won't stop this kind of violence either. They have hurt their cause by purposing some of the most ridicules legislation that doesn't even address the latest incident and would not prevent it. People drown in water too, yet we don't ban water. Hummmm..... I wonder why.

After every mass killing we see a political agenda being called for that doesn't address the problem. What other rights in the Bill of Rights should we get rid of in effort to completely turn over responsibility of our lives to those most willing to abuse us, all in the name of safety. Being more defenseless doesn't make most people fill all that safe. It's an illusion.

I remember when killing coyotes out west lead to an overpopulation of rabbits. Then they put a bounty on rabbits. Doing the wrong thing has consequences intended or not.

Both side have work to do and there is no magic pill.

I had a friend whose wife stabbed him to death with a butter knife. It takes a real commitment to do that. I don't think banning butter knifes is the solution. In reality the butter is killing more people that the butter knife. She probably could have done the deed with a fork. Should we go back to eating everything with our hands to show the world how much more civilized we are ?

Last edited by phma; 06-20-2015 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Terry Nichols was right-wing so was Timothy *McVeigh. Nichols is recorded as telling a boss he worked for prior to the bombing that he didn't want any federal income tax taken out of his pay check because he didn't believe in the federal government. McVeigh was way out on the far right as well.

So which mass murderers are leftists?

Breivik in Norway? Nope FAR right.

Dylann Roof Charleston? Nope. Supported far right white supremacist government. Friends said typically espoused conservative talking points.

I mean I could keep going...the guy who shot up the JCC in Kansas City known right wing extremist...Wade Michael Page who shot up a Sikh temple in Wisconsin thinking they were Muslim...right wing extremist.

Outside of this anarchists, who I put in their own group take the cake.

I'm having trouble finding left wing extremist mass killers on a similar scale. Perhaps, you can give me some examples...typically left wing extremism comes through organizations such as Greenpeace. Violence is not typically their mantra.
Most pot users are non violent. Don't know if there is a study on that but on observation it has the appearance of being true.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:46 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,171,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
You obviously missed this. Numbers from your FBI source

So I guess that it's good our rate is down, but our rate is still way higher than comparable first world countries. There's nothing to celebrate when your still ranked dead last. It's like a perennial cellar dweller in sports saying, "Hey, at least we won one game this year!"

To your other point, one gun death is too many. Furthermore, do you know how to proper evaluate and analyze charts, according to your very own FBI statistics, in 2011:

There were 8,583 MURDERS by a firearm of any kind.

Compare that to:

1,694 by knives (which is the next biggest category. For the mathematically challenged 8,583 > 1,694).

728 by fists, kicking etc.

And it diminishes from there.

In 2011 there were 12,664 murders in the US according to your FBI report.

According to this report 67.7% of all murders in the United States in 2011 were committed by guns.

Even if you add up all the other methods of murder in 2011, guns still killed 4,493 more people

THAT'S MORE THAN DOUBLE!

Furthermore, the table gives data from 2007-2011.

Over that time span there were 68,720 murders.

Therefore, from 2007-2011 67.3% of all murders were committed by firearm. That means two out of every three murders involved a firearm

Thanks for the info!
Not sure why you had to break down a very easy to read (at least 3rd grade level reading) to understand the table? Maybe you don't have a 3rd grade reading level and you had to break it down that far to really understand it.

Anyway, your failure to understand is noted.

Let me ask you this since you think you are above everyone here, Blunt objects have killed more than rifles and shotguns over those years presented, why are people such as YOU and others trying to ban rifles when they are the least used?

Not sit back with your harrrvvaarddddddddd degree and ponder that for a while....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies