Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:31 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

So where do you stand on this? Bring a gun to church?

I cannot believe it matters.

The racist thug was not allowed to bring a gun to church, but he did anyway. Short of metal detectors and guards with wands, what was going to stop him? Most people obey the law, but he did not.

Even had the church been guarded, he could have waited until the folks departed and done a spree outside.

If someone else there had been armed, maybe he or she could have taken him out. Or maybe they would have missed. Maybe they would have panicked and not even drawn their weapon. Who knows?

The prisons are filled with people who did not obey the laws of the land. Society is filled with people who do. Thankfully, the latter is bigger than the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:31 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
.03% of the population have died in mass shootings if we are chasing numbers here.
.03% is still 90,000 people...

Old 06-19-2015, 07:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
.03% is still 90,000 people...
The response I got when I posted something similar was this: "So? Afraid much?"

This is the mindset we're dealing with. Tens of thousands of people die needlessly by gun violence in the U.S. and the response from the gun lovers is....."Yeah? So what?"

Old 06-19-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

This is the mindset we're dealing with. Tens of thousands of people die needlessly by gun violence in the U.S. and the response from the gun lovers is....."Yeah? So what?"
Apparently gun advocates could care less that 90,000 people die so long as they can go out and shoot up some beer cans with their buddies on the weekend.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I'm struggling to wrap my head around this...

Christians, worshipping in church, worshipping Jesus Christ the Prince of Peace with a hymnal in one hand and a Glock in the other...

Somehow I'm just not feeling this one.
Take a look at Luke 22:36

Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
How do you intend to stop anybody from taking a gun anywhere they want?

It is against the law to shoot innocent people in very state in this nation. People still do it.

It is against the law to speed. Has speeding stopped?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:06 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Carrying a gun to a place of worship in VA is considered a Class 4 misdemeanor and a fine of $250. I don't know what it's like in SC but I believe in NC, you will be jailed if the place of worship has a school attached to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Apparently gun advocates could care less that 90,000 people die so long as they can go out and shoot up some beer cans with their buddies on the weekend.
So I guess alcohol-related deaths don't matter to you as well even if they're higher than gun-related deaths?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
albion, are you a newspaper snob? The Mail--which has the 2nd largest circulation in the United Kingdom--actually reports news, unlike the New York Times. When Cliven Bundy's rangeland became a destination for 1000 protesters over the course of a month, NYT never wrote a single character of text on it. In fact, never acknowledged the controversy's mere existence until a full 6 days after the climactic BLM retreat and release of cattle it hadn't yet destroyed. And then only with a petulant Timothy Egan opinion piece. Because it was the biggest 10th Amendment story of the century, and the NYT hates the Bill of Rights.

Hey, you up for this? Elsewhere, 16 years after Port Arthur, Tasmania:
_"Home invasions the new 'fad'"_
Home invasions the new 'fad'
(I hope it's an effete enough presentation for you.)

Are they going to be held at bay with silverware?
I will take my changes in violent England any day vs the US

Violent gun crime in the US is no where near France, England and Germany, our gun ownership is around 88% or capita while the other European countries are 10-30%.Our gun homicide rate is around 50 times the other countries that have lower gun ownership and you think we need more guns.

The proliferation of guns isn't the only problem it's our gun culture and associated violence.

You can either believe that we have more mental illness than these countries or gun ownership is part of the problem.

Gun homicides and gun ownership by country - The Washington Post

Old 06-19-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Carrying a gun to a place of worship in VA is considered a Class 4 misdemeanor and a fine of $250. I don't know what it's like in SC but I believe in NC, you will be jailed if the place of worship has a school attached to it.

So I guess alcohol-related deaths don't matter to you as well even if they're higher than gun-related deaths?
I certainly think we need to increase funding for alcohol treatment etc.

That being said it's apples and oranges. If I drink one beer I will not die. If I shoot one person they very well could die. If I drop a beer, there is a very slim chance it will hurt anyone. If I drop a gun and it goes off...

Old 06-19-2015, 08:16 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Unfortunately like healthcare conservatives will only understand this if God forbid tragedy strikes them, their family or their church.
Yes. My grandmother was killed in a gun accident before I was born. But, my great-grandmother (her mother) and my grandfather (her husband) hated guns from that day until the day they died.

All more guns will do is cause an increase in accidental death from guns, and make it easier for criminals and crazies to get their hands on guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies