Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 PM

257 posts, read 295,539 times

Advertisements

None. Let's focus on our home grown terrorism!!!

On Apr 20, 1871, with passage of the Third Force Act, popularly known as the KuKlux Act, Congress authorizes President Ulysses S. Grant to declare martiallaw, impose heavy penalties againstterrorist organizations, and use military force to suppress the Ku KluxKlan (KKK).

So,the KKK was included in “terrorist organizations” as far back as 1871. They exist today and focus on anti-Semitism and racism.

White supremacy or white supremacism,usually Christian based, is a more general grouping of which the KKK is one faction, promotes the belief, that white people are superior in certain characteristics, traits, and attributes topeople of other racial backgrounds and that therefore whites should politically, economically and socially rule non-whites. Violence is not out of the question.

ISIL claims superiority based on religion. They are an extremist Muslim group.

Both white supremacists and ISIL are extremist hate groups. I fail to see the difference. Yet, fear of “muslims” runs rampant is the subject of "fear" news daily, citing fear of losing “our Christian values”. But everyday white supremacy groups go about their business and there is no uproar. Racism in this country is downplayed – even dismissed by the white Christian majority. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
I don't get it.[/font]
Nope. You sure don't.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:30 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Well, one key difference is that ISIL and white supremacy aren't even the same thing. By that I mean, ISIL is a singular thing part of a larger whole while white supremacy is an abstract concept. That's to say, comparing Islamic terrorism to white supremacy would be more logical, but to compare a smaller part of the whole to a group as a whole won't be the most productive way to draw connections.

So let's focus on the white supremacy group you brought up: the Klu Klux Klan.

To compare those, we'll see some large differences. While both are still around, one is far more active than the other. It's also worth noting that only one is currently working to become an independent state, with the intention to expand outward once that goal is achieved.

And as a side not, much of the American opposition to the KKK was also Christian based.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
... comparing Islamic terrorism to white supremacy would be more logical, ...
I thought I was doing that and only used the KKK as an example. But, I appreciate your clarification and offer. OK, please compare white supremacy and Islamic terrorism for me.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
One has killed ~50,000 people this year. The other...none? If you can't "get that", you must be a product of today's educational system.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Nope. You sure don't.
Ok. I already said that. Please, enlighten me. What is the difference? Why is ISIL considered a terrorist organization (and I agree it is), BUT the white supremacist movement is not?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
None. Let's focus on our home grown terrorism!!!

On Apr 20, 1871, with passage of the Third Force Act, popularly known as the KuKlux Act, Congress authorizes President Ulysses S. Grant to declare martiallaw, impose heavy penalties againstterrorist organizations, and use military force to suppress the Ku KluxKlan (KKK).

So,the KKK was included in “terrorist organizations” as far back as 1871. They exist today and focus on anti-Semitism and racism.

White supremacy or white supremacism,usually Christian based, is a more general grouping of which the KKK is one faction, promotes the belief, that white people are superior in certain characteristics, traits, and attributes topeople of other racial backgrounds and that therefore whites should politically, economically and socially rule non-whites. Violence is not out of the question.

ISIL claims superiority based on religion. They are an extremist Muslim group.

Both white supremacists and ISIL are extremist hate groups. I fail to see the difference. Yet, fear of “muslims” runs rampant is the subject of "fear" news daily, citing fear of losing “our Christian values”. But everyday white supremacy groups go about their business and there is no uproar. Racism in this country is downplayed – even dismissed by the white Christian majority. I don't get it.
It is not 1871, I understand completely that U do not get it

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
One has killed ~50,000 people this year. The other...none? If you can't "get that", you must be a product of today's educational system.
None? Have you heard the news of 9 black worshippers in Charleston, SC being gunned down this week because they were black "."? How many deaths does it take to be significant?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
I thought I was doing that and only used the KKK as an example. But, I appreciate your clarification and offer. OK, please compare white supremacy and Islamic terrorism for me.
Alright. Islamic terrorism operates in groups. There are several organizations that would fall under the 'Islamic terrorism' umbrella, all of which are very much active, several of whom have political power in the Middle East, like ISIL or Hamas. They also have power in Africa.

White Supremacy is no longer like that. Most mass killings done by someone who would be described as a white supremacist was alone or at least not affiliated with an official group and carrying out a act of terror in the name of said group. The most recent even in South Carolina was done by a single individual who was both racist and in desperate need of mental healthcare. There was one a while back in Sweden, who got some media attention for only being sentences to 21 years (which is alarming, if you don't know Sweden's prison system, which the reactionaries who were riled up about it clearly did not).

Point is, white supremacy is basically a lost cause with a few fringe nutcase who still try and makes some waves in a nearly dried up pond. Islamic terrorism (Jihad) however, is still very much alive and possibly growing (it's a hard thing to really measure).

Old 06-19-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It is not 1871, I understand completely that U do not get it
It was identified as a problem since 1871 and we haven't truly dealt with it effectively since then. It's still a problem. Then again, I see you are from Texas, so I understand you didn't get my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies