Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Did you read the link I gave you?

I don't know what is left to refute really, it's all right there.
Your refutation consists of links you Google. My points are based on rational argument and reasoned discourse. Come back when you're ready to talk.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another.
Racial discrimination is unequal treatment due to your skin color.

They are not the same thing.

I'm called racist for asking a student to be quiet.
Yes, I have 11 year olds calling me a racist because I'm White, they are Black and I asked them to do something.
No, racism is the belief that humanity is made up of different races. People who believe that there ARE different races - a hypothesis for which there is no biological basis - also believe that we are different because of our "racial" differences.

Certainly all humans are individuals, with unique DNA just for starters, but we are all members of the same race, which is the human race.

You are right about your second sentence. Racial discrimination is unequal treatment based on "race," which usually means skin color. And of course there are racists of every possible shade of skin imaginable.

In fact, anyone who believes that certain "races" of people are somehow immune to being racists because of their "race," is very certainly a racist. And that is true regardless of what that person's skin color is, or what sort of self-serving explanation that anyone comes up with to try to excuse their racism.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Alabama has removed it from state grounds. Warner Bros has announced that they will stop selling certain Dukes of Hazzard merchandise with the confederate flag on it. Also the largest flag company is stopping production.

All of this is great, but it's still messed up that Sen. Clementa Pinckney will be lying in state while the flag still flys above him.

There is a provisions to remove the flag for "maintenance" and I would like to see Gov. Haley use that provision to remove the flag for the 5 hours his body will be there.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
For the people that STILL say the confederate flag should fly, who is more anti-American?
Why do you think I brought this up?

We have a candidate, Clinton, who used this "anti-American" symbol as a way to boost her family into politics.

Will you support a candidate who used "anti-American" symbols?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Interesting..

To me, I think How do you deal with someone who is very quick to label someone as "racist", when they aren't being racist at all? is a good topic.
1. You tell them to go F themselves, and/or

2. You can criticize them for indiscriminately and dishonestly playing the race card. If that is what they are doing, they will not like that very much, and they will not be any more comfortable trying to respond to that than most people are to being the recipient of baseless name-calling, which is what the playing of the race-card normally is. Since you will be the only one telling the truth in that instance, you will have the upper hand.

If you have some time, you can expand your initial assertion that they are dishonestly playing the race card to how that is actually a racist behavior in its own right, as they are treating you in a discriminatory, unfair and hostile manner based on your "race".

Take the offensive with these people. Do not let them off the hook. The reason they are so aggressive is because people routinely just stand there and endure this lying crap without so much as a word, or without any appropriate retaliation of any kind.

If you let someone abuse and take advantage of you, they will in many cases continue to do it until you make them stop. And make no mistake about it, the indiscriminate playing of the race card and the dishonest racial hostility and name calling that it is usually couched in certainly constitutes abuse.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
1. You tell them to go F themselves, and/or

2. You can criticize them for indiscriminately and dishonestly playing the race card. If that is what they are doing, they will not like that very much, and they will not be any more comfortable trying to respond to that than most people are to being the recipient of baseless name-calling, which is what the playing of the race-card normally is. Since you will be the only one telling the truth in that instance, you will have the upper hand.

If you have some time, you can expand your initial assertion that they are dishonestly playing the race card to how that is actually a racist behavior in its own right, as they are treating you in a discriminatory, unfair and hostile manner based on your "race".

Take the offensive with these people. Do not let them off the hook. The reason they are so aggressive is because people routinely just stand there and endure this lying crap without so much as a word, or without any appropriate retaliation of any kind.

If you let someone abuse and take advantage of you, they will in many cases continue to do it until you make them stop. And make no mistake about it, the indiscriminate playing of the race card and the dishonest racial hostility and name calling that it is usually couched in certainly constitutes abuse
Thank you!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thank you!
Your welcome.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
A Flag does not make you a racist, nor does any symbol. Those afraid of flags and or symbols are the real issue and believe the solution to killings and the KKK or whatever else is to ban something. Sounds more like a facism to me.
A racist will not also KILL people because he dislikes a race. Murders will kill people because they want to, this has nothing to do with the FLAG. The confederate flag will continue to be around because it is a symbol of resistance not about racism.
Just like the dont tread on me, the liberty tree and many others in the history of this nation.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM

800 posts, read 781,436 times
Governor Bentley of Alabama orders flags taken down at state Confederate monents - permanently.

Here's looking at you Mississippi.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
About time this happened.

I have an idea. Mississippi is called "The Magnolia State". Put a Magnolia on the flag the way a Palmetto is on South Carolina's flag.
yeah... be damned with hundred + years of history.. A few people dont know what they are talking about so lets just redesign every stupid flag in the country to appeas absolutely no one..

Hey, I'm offended by flowers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies