Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:15 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times

Advertisements

Churchgoer with concealed carry permit stops man with shotgun | Buckeye Firearms Association

Quote:

The Rev. Henry Guyton, pastor of the church, said Jesse Gates, who has
attended worship services at the church on Upper Valley Falls Road as recently
as Wednesday, came to the door about 10 a.m. on Sunday.

"He came in before the service and acted like he was having a heart attack,"
Guyton, 71, said. "He asked us to call Channel 7 news. I called 911
instead."

Sheriff Chuck Wright said deputies and Spartanburg EMS arrived, and checked
out Gates, and Gates left.

About 11:20 a.m., Jesse Gates returned to the church. The Rev. Guyton's
grandson, Aaron Guyton, 26, was in the recreation building separate from the
church and saw Gates get a shotgun from the trunk of his car.

"At that point, I knew I had to do something," Aaron Guyton said. "I wanted
to try to contain him outside."

Henry Guyton said he was in the pulpit, preaching about how Jesus spoke the
word of God and healed the sick, when Gates kicked open the side door of the
sanctuary and entered with the shotgun, pointing it at the pastor and
congregation.

Church members, including Aaron Guyton, a concealed weapons permit holder,
acted quickly.

Aaron Guyton held Gates at gunpoint, as church members Jesse Smith and Leland Powers held him on the floor and waited for deputies to arrive
I know that some people don't want to admit that the only thing that works to stop a bad guy with a gun really is a good guy with a gun, but people need to wake up to the reality that we aren't going to be living in a gun-free world anytime soon. Until then, we need to start accepting the fact that people need to be able to defend themselves and be their own first responders.

This debate has never been about facts or logic, I know that. It's a debate over world views. One that emphasizes less guns altogether, and the other that emphasizes good people having access to a gun. Gun control proponents want to cure the ailment of gun violence by reducing the amount of guns in society over all so that the bad guy can't get a gun in the first place, making the "good guy with a gun" a redundant concept. But In the meantime, we need to set aside our ideological, philosophical world views, and start accepting the reality of what actually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 01:50 PM

Peoples lives are at stake after all....

Old 06-26-2015, 01:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Well I guess you should carry a loaded weapon on you at all times if that is what makes you feel safe....

Old 06-26-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well I guess you should carry a loaded weapon on you at all times if that is what makes you feel safe....
Normally I do, other than in places where it would be illegal for me to do so.

Also, it doesn't make me feel safe. If carrying a gun alone makes you feel safer, it's a false sense of security.

What it does do is give me the confidence to know that I at least would have the opportunity to be able to defend myself if I had to.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Churchgoer with concealed carry permit stops man with shotgun | Buckeye Firearms Association

I know that some people don't want to admit that the only thing that works to stop a bad guy with a gun really is a good guy with a gun, but people need to wake up to the reality that we aren't going to be living in a gun-free world anytime soon. Until then, we need to start accepting the fact that people need to be able to defend themselves and be their own first responders.

This debate has never been about facts or logic, I know that. It's a debate over world views. One that emphasizes less guns altogether, and the other that emphasizes good people having access to a gun. Gun control proponents want to cure the ailment of gun violence by reducing the amount of guns in society over all so that the bad guy can't get a gun in the first place, making the "good guy with a gun" a redundant concept. But In the meantime, we need to set aside our ideological, philosophical world views, and start accepting the reality of what actually works.
Here's more from the sheriff :

Quote:
During a news conference Sunday, Wright commended Aaron Guyton for having a concealed weapons permit.

“We're very fortunate we didn't have gruesome scenes to work there,†Wright said. “I like the fact that a concealed weapons permit holder was prepared to protect the worshippers.â€

Wright made national headlines in October when a man attacked a woman at Milliken Park during the day, urging residents to obtain concealed weapons permits and arm themselves. Earlier this year, Wright praised a concealed weapons permit holder who shot and killed a would-be robber at a Waffle House on Chesnee Highway.

“I hope the bad guys are watching, because we are tired of your nonsense,†Wright said. “People are simply protecting their families. Prepare yourselves, ladies and gentlemen.â€

At the same time, Wright said, he urged residents to be “good witnesses†for law enforcement, and if the situation calls for it, to retreat to their homes if they find themselves in a potentially dangerous situation.

“I don't want you to act as a deputy sheriff,†Wright said. “I don't want you to take the law into your own hands.â€
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...plate=printart

Why isn't the media talking about this one? Doesn't fit their agenda?

Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Carrying a gun makes the statement "I have chosen to live my life in fear". That's way too big a burden to have to carry around all the time.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Carrying a gun makes the statement "I have chosen to live my life in fear". That's way too big a burden to have to carry around all the time.
Yep.... same as having smoke detectors in your home....

or fire extinguishers.....

or a tire iron.......

or jumper cables.....

or a spare tire......

or car/home/life insurance......

All of that preparedness just screams fear.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Normally I do, other than in places where it would be illegal for me to do so.

Also, it doesn't make me feel safe. If carrying a gun alone makes you feel safer, it's a false sense of security.

What it does do is give me the confidence to know that I at least would have the opportunity to be able to defend myself if I had to.
So your gun give you "confidence"....good for you.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
We all don't live in a Utopia like you apparently do.

There is nothing wrong with jumping through all the legal hoops to get a concealed carry license.
Making my safety and the safety of my family is my personal responsibility. Its not up to the police or the government to maintain my security.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,592 times
Quote:
Proud member of the HueyPNewton Gun Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies