Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 09:50 PM

25,745 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Then let god judge us when we die. Until then you have no authority to do that. You are just a mere human like the rest of us. If you believe in god then you don't seem to understand that god made gays as well as heterosexuals. Maybe he's testing us to see how we deal with it.
I can agree with the first part of your post, but the second to last sentence is really not a valid argument at all--in the implication that if god made it, it can do no wrong. That really is no part of any religion I've ever been exposed to. Indeed, religion is all about choosing between right or wrong. That's why I'm really not a part of it for the most part. I do what I like. But I certainly don't claim that my actions or lifestyle is godly and good, or that it should be in a religious sense.

Now, if you don't believe in god or religion, that's fine by me. But if we are confining our discussion to religious doctrine, although there is no question that god made gays and straights, doctrinally, there is no basis for a claim or implication that there is no right and no wrong, no good and no bad. That is a secular concept embraced in relatively modern times by philosophies such as post-structuralism and nihilism (and other such philosophies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Now, if you don't believe in god or religion, that's fine by me. But if we are confining our discussion to religious doctrine, although there is no question that god made gays and straights, doctrinally, there is no basis for a claim or implication that there is no right and no wrong, no good and no bad. That is a secular concept embraced in relatively modern times by philosophies such as post-structuralism and nihilism (and other such philosophies).
If you believe in such doctrine, you know it is a sin for YOU to judge, as mankind in issues such as this is unfit to pass such judgments, if he/she believes in a higher power.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
This is the fundamental disconnect I think we are talking about. The union of man and wife isn't man made, it is naturally occurring, borne from necessity, and the responsibilities each has in that unification are well defined throughout the ages through religion and other cultural institutions. Marriage existed before man was commonly literate. It did not take a person writing in a book that this was what marriage was for marriage to first occur. It is a practice that has been passed down from long ago because it has been found to be reproductively effecient.

And, marriage as humans practice it is specific to humans but I would invite you to go mess with the alpha guerilla's prize female and see how "not married" they are. That single guerilla would tear you limb from limb for disturbing his non wife.
No, marriage is a man-made institution, which reflects the culture in which it exists.

Certainly, pairing off for emotional reasons and/or for sex and reproduction have always occurred. But that doesn't mean the people doing the pairing off saw it the way we see it today. Heck, people on this very forum don't see it the same way!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some European and other countries either do not have joint tax returns or allow spouses to file either way. Canada indeed does not allow for joint filing: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resou...file-taxes.jsp

Ironically early federal US tax returns also did not have joint filing either, however the law was changed for several reasons. Most of which have to do with "protection" of the assumed weaker spouse which was almost always seen to be the wife.

Feminists have decried and fought against single filing for spouses and that is very true in the USA. Apparently the premise is husbands cannot be trusted to reveal all his income and that a wife (and subsequently her children) will be on the losing end financially if she by law does not have access to his financials.

Much of this boils down to how a marital estate is set up. In France and other European countries/places as befitting a long history marriages that were more like mergers and acquisitions it has been recognized that one or both partners may have property/assets they want to keep separate from the marital estate. That is if you have a castle that has been in your family since the 1300's you aren't going to be too keen on giving "half" to a spouse in case of divorce.

As such in France and again other places the marital estate can take several forms. This ranges from property remaining totally separate to some blending of assets. Inheritance Planning France: French Marriage Contract
Well, it's interesting that at least somewhere they actually consider these sorts of things. Sounds like Canada has its head screwed on straight, at least on this matter.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Sure, whatever the voters of the state think is right. After all, the majority should be able to decide on whats best for themselves.

The Federal Government can acknowledge gay marriage and grant said benefits if it is between two people that enter a union deemed legal in their residing state.

The states would all have come around eventually but, it is a moot point since the Supreme Court has decided on whats best for us.
Once again, since you guys don't seem to get it: whether not some group has rights is not up for a popular vote. We have this pesky thing called the constitution that you may have heard about.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
About the time the SCOTUS allowed two consenting adults to do as they please.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
This is the fundamental disconnect I think we are talking about. The union of man and wife isn't man made, it is naturally occurring, borne from necessity, and the responsibilities each has in that unification are well defined throughout the ages through religion and other cultural institutions. Marriage existed before man was commonly literate. It did not take a person writing in a book that this was what marriage was for marriage to first occur. It is a practice that has been passed down from long ago because it has been found to be reproductively effecient.

And, marriage as humans practice it is specific to humans but I would invite you to go mess with the alpha guerilla's prize female and see how "not married" they are. That single guerilla would tear you limb from limb for disturbing his non wife.
Oh, so you are talking about sexual relations between animals. Now I understand your point of view.

Guess what. Hundreds of species of animals engage not only in homosexual behavior, but also form same-sex life long partnerships as well. Gay and lesbian couples have existed in human society on every continent and throughout history as well. Not one, but two of the Emperors of Rome actually married other men.

I suppose you are determined to disrespect same sex couples and fail to recognize the meaning and importance of their committed relationships. On the other hand millions of lesbians, gays, and their supporters are not swayed by your opinions either.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If you believe in such doctrine, you know it is a sin for YOU to judge, as mankind in issues such as this is unfit to pass such judgments, if he/she believes in a higher power.
And, assuming the doctrine again, how does my lack of right to judge cause there to be no right or wrong, no good or bad? Because I am not to judge, everything should be declared hunky-dory? I'm not seeing the connection. (again assuming the doctrine).

Note: I absolutely believe in agency and my own inability to "judge you." But that certainly does not preclude me from having an opinion about you or anyone else. Judging and having an opinion about a given matter are two completely separate matters. By definition, a judge has some sort of authority. An opinion should NEVER have authority, but it should NEVER be restricted either.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
So why would you have a problem with a gay couple with kids partaking in that then?
Purposefully having kids to raise them away from their non biological parents in cases of non emergency for your own needs is putting your own needs above theirs.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And, assuming the doctrine again, how does my lack of right to judge cause there to be no right or wrong, no good or bad?
You have the right to judge. By doing so, you simply acknowledge being wrongful to your religion, to gain that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies