Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM

11,239 posts, read 8,334,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
amazon will be more than happy to sell you thousands of doo-dads adorned with swastikas as well.

apparently the confederate flag is more odious than either the rape of Nanking or 'the final solution' in today's America.
Still don't uderstand what Amazon's choice of what they sell or don't sell has anything to do with yours or my freedom of speech.

Seems more likely that if we started mandating what Amazon could or couldn't sell, THAT would infringe on their freedom of speech.

I know that spouting talking points (and lately showing pictures of the Duck Dynasty dude) is easy and all, but can we PLEASE have some examples of actual violations?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,867,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Wow.... I can't buy a confederate flag, but I can go on Amazon and buy a Japanese Battle Flag. Does Pearl Harbor ring a bell?
Amazon's decision is its own. Private enterprise, remember? May be they played a game, selling a flag selling in pennies for several dollars as nutty people lined up to do just that.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,754,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well if that's what you are waiting for then you're asking too early.

That extreme isn't happening today but we are headed down that path. What you posted doesn't happen overnight. It's the slow incremental creep.

Trial by Twitter is what we are seeing today.
The one thing that we have to be soooooo....thankful for is that we're not living this madness in our late teens/early 20s.

Can you imagine just entering adult life in a world as lost to the madness of the fringe left as this one is? Where your every thought is pre-planned, finely-filtered, and planted? Where truth is obsolete, right-side up is upside down, and living by a moral code is attacked and scorned?

Individual freedom is finished in this country, with the last vestiges disappearing at at pace 10 times that which we previously thought to be dizzying.

We're done....until and unless the history surrounding the creation of this nation repeats itself.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:56 AM

52,830 posts, read 34,710,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Still don't uderstand what Amazon's choice of what they sell or don't sell has anything to do with yours or my freedom of speech.

Seems more likely that if we started mandating what Amazon could or couldn't sell, THAT would infringe on their freedom of speech.

I know that spouting talking points (and lately showing pictures of the Duck Dynasty dude) is easy and all, but can we PLEASE have some examples of actual violations?
where did I say ANYTHING about freedom of speech, spout 'talking points' or show pictures of the duck dynasty dude?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,151,865 times
Quote:
amazon will be more than happy to sell you thousands of doo-dads adorned with swastikas as well.

apparently the confederate flag is more odious than either the rape of Nanking or 'the final solution' in today's America.
Thank you no. I don't wish to fly any flag other than the U.S. My point... I find it ironic that if we were to make a list of all the offensive flags based upon U.S. history we'd pretty much need to ban 3/4's of them. I'm sure my Grandfather (who fought in WWII in the Pacific) would have been offended to see that Amazon was selling Japanese Battle Flags. At the same time, he would have been the first to tell you that the reason he fought was so that you had the right to fly whatever damned flag you wanted to. And Amazon could sell what ever they wanted. No opinion's needed by the PC correct whiny butts.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 PM

16,694 posts, read 8,695,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Political Correctness anti-freedom of speech. It is fascism with manners. It is an attempt to control people's thoughts and words. Unless you can voice an opinion without fear of reprisal, you do not have Freedom of Expression.

I am 63 and believe PC is the greatest enemy of the U.S. of A.
Watch this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrt6msZmU7Y

`

Old 06-26-2015, 12:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Quote:
Political Correctness anti-freedom of speech. It is fascism with manners. It is an attempt to control people's thoughts and words. Unless you can voice an opinion without fear of reprisal, you do not have Freedom of Expression.

The Confederate battle flag is just the newest victim, the new flavor if the month. It was created to let the Southern armies know where their ranks were in battle. Black powder was used then and was very smoky. In the original stages of the war, many Southern troops wore blue uniforms and the Confederate Flag had a Blue Square with stars in the upper left corner and had a two red horizontal stripes with a white one on the middle. In all the smoke of battle, it was confused with the Stars and Stripes. The Stars and Bars was made to make it different.

Lost in all the PC madness, is the fact that it is an American flag, and part of America's History. I have ancestors who fought for the South in that war. Nine of my uncles served in WWII. Eleven cousins, my brother and I, served in the Vietnam 'conflict'. I will fly both flags proudly.

Last time I checked, this isn't a Confederate Country, so we shouldn't be displaying Confederate flags at government buildings as if they warrant the same merit as the American flag....though if you want to display it on your own property, have at it, I have no issue with that.

Though just remember, freedom of speech is a two way street.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:16 PM

52,830 posts, read 34,710,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Thank you no. I don't wish to fly any flag other than the U.S. My point... I find it ironic that if we were to make a list of all the offensive flags based upon U.S. history we'd pretty much need to ban 3/4's of them. I'm sure my Grandfather (who fought in WWII in the Pacific) would have been offended to see that Amazon was selling Japanese Battle Flags. At the same time, he would have been the first to tell you that the reason he fought was so that you had the right to fly whatever damned flag you wanted to. And Amazon could sell what ever they wanted. No opinion's needed by the PC correct whiny butts.
i got your point, and agree with it. i was just illustrating further how totally whacked the situation actually is.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,422,270 times
Quote:

The Confederate battle flag is just the newest victim, the new flavor if the month. It was created to let the Southern armies know where their ranks were in battle. Black powder was used then and was very smoky. In the original stages of the war, many Southern troops wore blue uniforms and the Confederate Flag had a Blue Square with stars in the upper left corner and had a two red horizontal stripes with a white one on the middle. In all the smoke of battle, it was confused with the Stars and Stripes. The Stars and Bars was made to make it different.

Lost in all the PC madness, is the fact that it is an American flag, and part of America's History. I have ancestors who fought for the South in that war. Nine of my uncles served in WWII. Eleven cousins, my brother and I, served in the Vietnam 'conflict'. I will fly both flags proudly.

My God. You're 63 and should no better. Shame on you.

The Confederate flag and all that it stands for is as repulsive as the AIDS virus. It and all it represents needs to be eradicated...and DON'T you forget it either.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:17 PM

11,239 posts, read 8,334,766 times
Quote:
where did I say ANYTHING about freedom of speech, spout 'talking points' or show pictures of the duck dynasty dude?
My bad. You didn't.

The discussion for the past page or two before your post was about people whining that their freedom of speech was being oppressed. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that you were entering the discussion, and not replying to something unrelated.

I sincerely missed your point, and after re-reading the post, I'm still not sure what it was. If it was that Swastikas are just as bad (if not worse) than the confederate flag, then I'll agree with you. I hope that there is enough of an outcry that merchants will be shamed into stopping to profit from them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.