Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It means it was the end of a REALLY lousy week for the far-right. First the Confederate flag, then marriage equality...now they find out Obama is a hymn-singing Christian.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:02 PM

991 posts, read 629,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Nope. From your link:

"Amazing Grace was penned by a slave trader immediately after he survived a horrific storm at sea, his survival prompting him to foreswear his former evil ways and accept God into his life. False."

"Amazing Grace was penned by a former slave trader, but only many decades after he'd left slave trading and seafaring behind and had become a minister of God. True."

I think you put up the Wikipedia link on "Amazing Grace" on another thread before it closed, didn't you, and misrepresented the information there too. Newton, in fact, was 30 we he left the slave trade to become a Christian theologian, wrote "Amazing Grace at the age of 48, and died when he was 82, according to that link.
Go and READ the article again!
Not from wikipedia!

Quote:
Newton did eventually grow into his conversion, so that by the end of his days he actually was the godly man one would expect to have penned 'Amazing Grace.' But it was a slow process effected over the passage of decades, not something that happened with a clap of thunder and a flash of lightning. In Newton's case, the "amazing grace" he wrote of might well have referred to God's unending patience with him.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Go and READ the article again!
Not from wikipedia!
No wonder you have problems representing information accurately. Did you not see that I quoted verbatim from the link you provided in this thread and then brought up another link that you may or may not have provided from Wikipedia on a previous thread that was closed? Try reading again, more slowly this time.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 PM

991 posts, read 629,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
No wonder you have problems representing information accurately. Did you not see that I quoted verbatim from the link you provided in this thread and then brought up another link that you may or may not have provided from Wikipedia on a previous thread that was closed? Try reading again, more slowly this time.
I have made only one thread on this.
This One.

Now go and READ all of the snopes article.
If you need help, just ask.

I have posted nothing from wikipedia.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
I have made only one thread on this.
This One.
Hence why I wrote, "may or may not"

Now go and READ all of the snopes article.
If you need help, just ask.

Your own post disproves your original statement. Let me copy it for you again:

"Amazing Grace was penned by a former slave trader, but only many decades after he'd left slave trading and seafaring behind and had become a minister of God. True."

Quote:
I have posted nothing from wikipedia.
Hence, "may or may not." But now you have a second source that disproves your claim. You're welcome.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's too bad that you have to inject your hatred into the funeral of a man who acted with decency, love, and grace toward his community and was murdered by a white supremacist.
Unfortunately, HATE just has no bounds in the day and age..Those continuing to foster HATE and find fault with even those victim familitlies who forgive and pray for remorse of killer!! BOGGLES MY MIND ...

This in essence mean's those still condemning ( anybody who supports victims) racial bigotry systemic actions/supremacy inspired activitist, they COULD not have the heart of true Christian who have faith ( Falsehoods)..then their Political leaders constantly PREACH THEIR BRAND of Christian belief condemning race/LGBT/ relationships asSICK.then expound from there...Only way to go I guess for Evangelical folk

Talk is Cheap..Walk in those shoes by those who Never dealt with predjuice..NOPE yet still JUDGE it all by information passed down..BUT have NO IDEA just the Path of Life those oppressed ever dealt/deal with daily....Kind of tells you that education and worldly understanding has been discarded..

BECAUSE they really do not want to KNOW the truth in history...Kind of makes me crazy..But Ignorance and confronting those truths with ignorance tells anyone who has actually KNOWS it kind of exposes to myself..Who is Who...

Many may respond by quoting stuff from their side of things of 150 years ago...but fail to even consider human being evolve..and learn ( human beings are not robots and programmed ) so talk about the past and have been continually desire to go back 200 years.....Sorry..It's 2015..COuntry founded on Immigrants..Other than Initial residents ( Indigent Indians) NO one who posts here or anywhere else is actually ORIGINAL...

Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Rev Clem Pickney sounds like quite a great man. Very sad for his death.

He could have taught our President a lot about truth and honesty.
You can only teach those willing to learn.

What kind of pathetic human being hijacks a eulogy to make a twisted political statement about a flag? This should be a day to honor and remember the Reverend, not a day for some bottom feeder to exploit his death for a political purpose.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:05 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Sings Amazing Grace.

(You Don't want to hear it)

Obama At Eulogy For Rev. Pinckney: “By Taking Down Confederate Flag, We Express God’s Grace”, Sings ‘Amazing Grace’ | Weasel Zippers

Guess he doesn't know that Amazing Grace was written by a Slave trader!

And for those that think that Newton changed after becoming a Christian ..

And .. I am using the Libs very own Bible of Truth site for this information!

snopes.com: Amazing Grace
That's the thing about grace. One never knows when it comes or how to receive it.

Of course, our President knows the song's origins. It's very common knowledge. The song was divinely inspired, no matter if the hand that wrote it was not. Grace is mysterious, and no song has ever expressed its mysteries any better. This is the reason why so many people of all faiths know this hymn, and this hymn alone.

When an epiphany hits you upside the head, epliny, and I hope it will, you, too, will understand. The blind never know they are blind until they see.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Even during a tragedy white supremacy is attacking the president. We know, we know, it isn't fair that we have a black man as president...

Old 06-26-2015, 07:41 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Where are the atheist to tell us that Obama is a loony tune nut job talking about fairy tales?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies