Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

I think all non profits should be taxed on all earnings over what they spend for actual charitable causes. This whole 6+ digit salary, and private jets, and mansions is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I think all non profits should be taxed on all earnings over what they spend for actual charitable causes. This whole 6+ digit salary, and private jets, and mansions is too much.
I agree. Especially when someone like Al Sharpton abuses the system and uses the money as a slush fund for private expenses.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I agree. Especially when someone like Al Sharpton abuses the system and uses the money as a slush fund for private expenses.
Yep, or "charities" only put 5 cents of every dollar to the actual causes. Or churches spend half a million on a fish tank for their entryway.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Since this issue has come up a lot in other topics lately, I thought it was worthy of it's own thread. Personally, I have mixed feelings on it. I think an argument could be made for imposing taxes on churches, but I do see some possible arguments in favor of leaving their status as is.

Currently most US churches are exempt from paying property and income taxes, and have been since 1894.

Discuss.
I have never seen any real argument for churches not being tax exempt. Every time I see someone argue for removing their tax exempt status, it invariably comes from a malicious anti-religion place. I'm sorry, but "I'm an atheist" is not a valid reason to deny tax exempt status for religious organizations. When it comes to a gay rights group, or an environmental organization, or any other group that the person does actually agree with then their objections to tax exempt status "mysteriously" disappear. You not liking religion is not a reason why those who do believe should have their churches and temples be taxed.

Nor is the argument that there are some churches that misuse the funds they get. That just means those individual organizations should be prosecuted. It's a completely invalid argument for having religious exemptions in general be removed.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Yep, or "charities" only put 5 cents of every dollar to the actual causes. Or churches spend half a million on a fish tank for their entryway.
Or a private jet...

Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
The one getting the salary pays taxes on it.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The one getting the salary pays taxes on it.
Yes, but the "charity" doesn't. Why should they get a tax advantage over other businesses?

I, personally, believe that these groups should only get to write off what is actually spent for charitable purposes. Not multi-million dollar buildings, or jets, or fish tanks, or mansions.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
There goes the Clinton Foundations tax exempt status.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
There goes the Clinton Foundations tax exempt status.
There goes many foundations tax exemption.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Churches of Christ

If a church has out reach programs and has genuine service to the community churches should be exempted for churches. many who do not serve the Lord do not understand the Great Good.

Most Churches have many unpaid jobs and the Senior staff has a Salary. That Salary is up to Congregation and the Deacons. Church Fin. records are usually for public inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies