Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times

Advertisements

Seeing as I believe organized religion as being the world's largest Ponzi scheme, I believe they should be paying taxes. Considering how they pretty much tell people how to vote in elections, for one reason. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Seeing as I believe organized religion as being the world's largest Ponzi scheme, I believe they should be paying taxes. Considering how they pretty much tell people how to vote in elections, for one reason. What do you think?
If they campaign for a candidate or a party--yes. They're non profit and tax exempt now (as long as they stay out of politics) because no individual owns a church--the staff have salaries, but nobody makes a profit or personally owns the building or land. Churches do have the right to talk to their congregation about social issues and how that ties into their faith. If they endorse a candidate or party, then they should fall under the guidelines of a political organization.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
They are a business and should pay taxes.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
I do think ALL churches and related entities, like religious schools, should at minimum, be subject to PILOT.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,738 times
Quote:
I don't think ANY organization should have a blanket tax exemption. However I DO think that the deeds they do should be deductible.

Churches, as well as 501c3's, get away with way too much. For instance, the president of the American Cancer Society makes a few dollars short of ONE MILLION a year. No, that's way, WAY too much. Non-profit employees should have to pay a special income tax when their salary exceeds a certain amount. Because the money they received as salary came from someone who received a deduction for their donation. So that's lost tax revenue. There should be a limit on their compensation. When their compensation goes OVER that limit, they should pay a penalty. I'd say twice the national average salary should be the absolute limit. After that, it's time to kick a little more in to the tax pool in order to cover the donor's write-off.

There also needs to be more strict expense limits. I could go on forever, but you get the idea.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
They are not supposed to practice politics, but some do. They need to stick with serving man rather than politics IMO.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Seeing as I believe organized religion as being the world's largest Ponzi scheme
All I need to read to know I needn't bother with the rest.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:30 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
I believe all religious institutions should be taxed without exception.

Churches should keep there nose's in their Bible but many of them are using the pulpit as a political weapon. Here in the south I heard one woman say, "we all vote like the preacher tells us to vote."

Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
I believe that when they pick up political agendas that they should be taxed. Westboro Baptist, for example, should be taxed into poverty. The Catholic Church, while not explicitly political, does tend to evangelize certain positions that fall into political territory, and should be taxed somewhat (besides, the Catholic Church is not going broke anytime soon).

They should also lose tax exempt status as soon as they make a political contribution... churches are there to serve the people who attend them, and the people who attend them are there to serve some sort of God, not make decisions about who they are going to vote for. Churches displaying campaign signs should lose tax-exempt status as well, since that is also making a political statement (in a way).

If it were me, I would implement it in a way so that tax-exempt status could be won back if certain criteria were met.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Quote:
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies