Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

Media Matters for America is organized as a tax exempt 501(c)3 organization. Under IRS guidelines, they must abide by several rules to maintain this status. Specifically, 501(c)3 organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office.

Want to File an IRS Complaint Against Media Matters? Click Here... - Tax Exempt - Fox Nation

"MMA's activities should disallow its tax-exempt status in two fundamental ways. First, IRS rulings make clear that attacks on individuals, statement of positions that are unsupported by facts and use of inflammatory language and other distortions will cost an organization its tax-free status. Second, in declaring "guerrilla warfare" on Fox as the "leader" and "mouthpiece" of the Republican Party and in developing a sophisticated Democratic-leaning media training boot camp, MMA has transformed itself into an aggressive advocate for Democratic and progressive causes and thus produced a second deviation from exempt educational activities."

GRAY: Taxpayers' subsidization of war on Fox News - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
All I'm asking for is a yes or no.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Following that evidence, yes they should. MM is blatantly violating their tax-exempt status but of course Bammers won't revoke their tax-exempt status because they are part of his propaganda arm for his reelection efforts

Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
FAUX is doing everything they can to hurt the one organization that exposes their torrent of lies. Must break a wingnuts heart to hear about all the lies they have been pumped full of listening to FAUX news

Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
FAUX is doing everything they can to hurt the one organization that exposes their torrent of lies. Must break a wingnuts heart to hear about all the lies they have been pumped full of listening to FAUX news
So you think the law doesn't apply to MM because it doesn't fit your agenda?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,956 times
I liked how the article said that MMA should lose its tax free status because it engages in "attacks on individuals, statement of positions that are unsupported by facts and use of inflammatory language and other distortions," but then provided absolutely no support for that position. Oh, and that for the second reason to be valid, Fox News has to be officially reduced to nothing more than a mouthpiece for the GOP. Beyond that, the article was little more than "Grr, I don't like Media Matters because they disagree with me!"

Based on those two arguments that you quoted, which the author did nothing to prove in the remainder of his article, I would say that MMA should not lose its tax exempt status.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So you are saying that FOX should get taxpayer money too?

Um, John Stewart does a pretty nice job ripping FOX when they mis-step. Not sure where you are getting "....the one organization blah blha blah".

Frankly, I'm tired of ANY group getting a financial benefit ON MY BACK for pushing their political views. If they want to make up crap then so be it, that is their choice but I don't want to pay anything for the pack of chimps throwing poo back and forth at each other.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Yes, they should lose their tax-exempt status, just like churches who engage in similar political persuasion.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:48 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I liked how the article said that MMA should lose its tax free status because it engages in "attacks on individuals, statement of positions that are unsupported by facts and use of inflammatory language and other distortions," but then provided absolutely no support for that position. Oh, and that for the second reason to be valid, Fox News has to be officially reduced to nothing more than a mouthpiece for the GOP. Beyond that, the article was little more than "Grr, I don't like Media Matters because they disagree with me!"

Based on those two arguments that you quoted, which the author did nothing to prove in the remainder of his article, I would say that MMA should not lose its tax exempt status.
I agree. Fox is just desperate and trying to do anything they can to silence those that point out the lies and garbage spewed by fox.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
without question MM should lose its status. the fact that it is currently tax exempt is stupid. Someone should go to jail for making a false statement in a legal document. Some gubbermint official should lose thier job for not getting this fixed years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies