Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:21 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
The issue is not one of separation of church and state per se. It is a matter of federal tax code.

The only thing houses of worship may not do is endorse or oppose candidates for public office or use their resources in partisan campaigns. This restriction, which is found in federal tax law, is not limited to churches and other religious ministries. In fact, it is applied to every non-profit organization in the country that holds a tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contrary to the claims of many in the Religious Right, the IRS is not singling out houses of worship for special regulation. Thousands of educational, scientific, charitable and literary organizations hold the 501(c)(3) status, and all must abide by the legal requirement barring involvement in elections.

Why does this rule exist? The answer is obvious: Non-profit organizations receive tax exemption because their work is charitable, educational or religious. That tax benefit comes with conditions. One requirement is that tax-exempt organizations refrain from involvement in partisan politics. This is a reasonable rule, since tax-exempt groups are supposed to work for the public good, not spend their time and money trying to elect or defeat candidates.

This regulation is also designed to protect the integrity of the election process. Special types of organizations already exist to help political hopefuls win public office. Those groups, such as Political Action Committees, have a different tax status and are organized under a different set of rules than 501(c)(3) groups, rules designed to ensure that the nation's campaign-finance laws are followed. Blurring the distinction between these two types of organizations would harm both religion and politics.

The interesting thing about all this is that certain religious institutions have blatently ignore these stipulations...especially the Pat Robertson's and James Dobsons of the world. They should have had their 501(c)(3) status revoked YEARS ago.
Well said tried to rep yah but I gotta spread it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
quote: "Let me ask you this one question, if church and state was TRULY separate, how on EARTH could any Christian be a politician? Could a Buddhist monk become a politician? Could a.... satanist? So if church and state were truly separate, then the only people who could hold office would be atheists. And we would all be living under the thumb of atheism. You don't think that would start to violate our first amendment rights?"

I'm afraid the above silly example destroys your credibility.

The implication of the first amendment- separation of church and state- is that "the government may make no law respecting the establishment of religion or restricting its free exercise". That is so that no one religion will be state sponsored or mandated. That is why many of the first colonists came to America.

Taxing churches gets the government involved in religion- unfortunately many have figured that out and taken full advantage of it. I do believe the subject needs to be revisited-as the previous poster who brought up the tax code issues said.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
501C3 is also NOT in the Constitution. Tax them ALL.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Seeing as I believe organized religion as being the world's largest Ponzi scheme, I believe they should be paying taxes. Considering how they pretty much tell people how to vote in elections, for one reason. What do you think?
First answer this question, Do you know WHY they are tax exempt?

Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
I see this thread got demoted. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping for better.

Quick Enough, why are they tax-exempt?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
when the Mormons own a good part of Central Florida and has no intention of using it for Church business. then it should not be exempt.

When they want to change into a political operation tax them.

For me the only item tax free is the building and maybe the homestead of the priest. otherwise... I'm not feeling it.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Bascailly think about it. On any given sunday there are more chritian who attend church than nay other group has ever thought they could gather. he that does not even include the numbers that actaully can't and watch services at home. the pope alonge i mnay countries draws more of a crowd than any other leader visiting.Billy Graham could seel out yankees stadium by just preaching there. Religion cuts across mnay rcial and ethnics groups and is their core beliefs if in came down to cutting the shaft. Any Tea Party or OWS gatherings combined look small in comparison;which is why so many like Hitler and Stalin suppressed religion on the first order. Also the reason that i the constitution protection of religion fro the state was written in and has been affirmed since.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,548,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They are not supposed to practice politics,
Why not? Is there something in the constitution that you would like to present that says they are "not supposed to?"
Quote:
but some do. They need to stick with serving man rather than politics IMO.
You seem to forget that politics and serving man are intertwined. In this political environment that caters to corporate greed I'm not surprised that you feel this way, but yes, the government's job is to protect the public interest. And the same is true of the church.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
If churches lose their tax exempt status, wouldn't it be fair that all the phoney 501 C [3] that rake in millions of dollars a year also pay taxes?

Last edited by d4g4m; 10-16-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,548,052 times
The OP is not about taxation. It's about people saying churches should stay out of politics and politicians should keep their religious beliefs from affecting their decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies