Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:51 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I believe that when they pick up political agendas that they should be taxed. Westboro Baptist, for example, should be taxed into poverty.
I'd say every church but Westboro Baptist should be brought up on RICO and their lands and assets seized to be redistributed equally to Amnesty International and let's say World Wildlife Fund. The Westboro folks are the only ones who get the point of organized religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Seeing as I believe organized religion as being the world's largest Ponzi scheme, I believe they should be paying taxes. Considering how they pretty much tell people how to vote in elections, for one reason. What do you think?
As long as you include black churches and mosques, then okay!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,924 times
Absolutely. Start with Pat Robertson, James Dobson and others involved in politics. Then begin on the TV preachers and mega-churches that are no more than stylized businesses.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Seeing as I believe organized religion as being the world's largest Ponzi scheme, I believe they should be paying taxes. Considering how they pretty much tell people how to vote in elections, for one reason. What do you think?
YES!! They should pay taxes and they should have open books.

I've always wondered ... what's the point of tithing if you're going to deduct it off your taxes? Doesn't mean much, does it? Well, at least to me it doesn't.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
As long as you include black churches and mosques, then okay!
Why did you leave the LDS church out? They have closed books-even their own people can't take a look at the finances.

Every church should pay taxes. Everybody.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
do you know how many tax exempt organizations there are in thi country? and all you could come up with is churches?hell tax welfare benifits for starters.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,509 times
Default Separation of church and state

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
do you know how many tax exempt organizations there are in thi country? and all you could come up with is churches?hell tax welfare benifits for starters.
Though you may be right about many groups - the point of this thead is separation of church and state. And yes they should all be taxed if they got involved in poltics in any way.

Then we should go on to taxing any educational or scientific groups that got any of the taxpayers money (such as through grants)...The support was for science and education...not for political activism. (And I sat in enough classes attentive enough to know that politics was being slammed down my throat)

Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
They are a business and should pay taxes.
I totally agree ! They are a business and should be taxed. Whatever happened to the seperation of "church" & "state"?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Think you might want to do a search before you start a topic? There are already numerous threads on this topic.