Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny just how many don't find mockery of the sacrifices of our Marines to be offensive...but do find a rebel flag to be.
I don't think mockery was intended....Rather this 15 year old photo seemed by many to be appropriate to celebrate the recent victory regarding gay marriage....I agree with them...I like the photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 11:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
"Whining until you get your way?" Uhhh...so they didn't fight for their rights? They just "whined" a bit and won all of these battles?

A lot of people that are highly offended by this image keep saying that "i'm all for gay marriage," but i doubt it.

This sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.
Yeah, that's what I said.

You also don't believe people on CD actually own their own businesses.

Not really concerned about what you think.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
"Whining until you get your way?" Uhhh...so they didn't fight for their rights? They just "whined" a bit and won all of these battles?
In too many instances, that is exactly what they did.
Quote:

A lot of people that are highly offended by this image keep saying that "i'm all for gay marriage," but i doubt it.

This sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.
Individual expressionary rights and economic freedom are unitary and indivisible. If more among the LGBT community truly wanted freedom, they would adopt a libertarian (please note the small, rather than capital 'c') approach and work to get Big Brother and Sister out of everyone's life. But like losers everywhere, they swallow the Kool-Aid peddled by the "progressive" coalition, which will try to impose its inconsistent views (a/k/a Political Correctness -- a collection of absolutes which can only become more Fascistic) on all of us over the long run.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-02-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,654 times
Since when did Conservatives become so sensitive and fragile? Usually that's what they call the left.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
But how is it mockery?

I'll say again, this photo was trying to make a genuine point. I find it unclear and not intriguing, but it's not offensive. All offense is coming from assumptions about who the people are, which none of the people making these assumptions have the knowledge to do so accurately.

But I'll ask again (and maybe I'll get an answer; usually do about 20% of the time on this forum), what exactly is it about this photo that is mocking the marines?
Our Marines on Iwo had lost thousands of lives in the most brutal way to take Mount Suribachi. That image came to symbolize both that sacrifice and victory, but the entire battle of the Pacific theater. Not just the lives lost on Iwo, but the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of lives lost to that point in the war.

To try to compare the "plight" of gays to the sacrifices and losses of these Marines and other members of the armed forces that lost their lives in this war, and the courage they displayed is disrespectful. It's like someone making some sort of statement by pi**ing on MLKs grave. You wouldn't find that disrespectful would you?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Since when did Conservatives become so sensitive and fragile? Usually that's what they call the left.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing.
The fact that the previous poster capitalized the word "conservative" merely underscores the point that too many of the people over there in Left Field seek to demonize everyone who opposes them as part of a monolithic conspiracy; their descent into stereotyping merely turns their beliefs and agenda into another strain of the mentality they rant about.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I hope people don't give this photo much attention, it is not worth it.
Especially since it is 15 years old.

[]

Old 07-02-2015, 11:20 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The fact that the previous poster capitalized the word "conservative" merely underscores the point that too many of the people over there in Left Field seek to demonize everyone who opposes them as part of a monolithic conspiracy.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yeah, that's what I said.

You also don't believe people on CD actually own their own businesses.

Not really concerned about what you think.
I don't believe anyone on CD about anything and i don't expect to be believed myself. It's the Internet. You're not supposed to believe people.

If you don't know that already, i don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
In too many instances, that is exactly what they did.

Individual expressionaly rights and economic freedom are unitary and indivisible. If more among the LGBT community truly wanted freedom, they would adopt a libertarian (please note the small, rather than capital 'c') approach and work to get Big Brother and Sister out of everyone's life. But like losers everywhere, they swallow the Kool-Aid peddled by the "progressive" coalition, which will try to impose its inconsistent views (a/k/a Political Correctness -- a collection of absolutes which can only become more Fascistic) on all of us over the long run.
Yeah...right.

What you're saying is that the LBGT community is bad until they support the politics YOU believe in.

Too transparent. But whatever...it's normal for right wingers to be on the wrong side of history anyway. Doesn't matter because you'll just get ran over like a Mack Truck by the new reality if you're just bound and determined to stick to your intransigence.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The picture was taken 15 years ago, long before most of the stuff you were talking about was even happening.
Right, all of that "stuff" I was talking about happened yesterday.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-02-2015 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies