Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Especially since it is 15 years old.

[]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 PM

One good thing is that they at least recognized the sacrifices Marines made. Marines deserve some spot light. Lone survivor Navy SEALs are not the only bad ass, ya know.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't believe anyone on CD about anything and i don't expect to be believed myself. It's the Internet. You're not supposed to believe people.

If you don't know that already, i don't know what to tell you.

Yeah...right.

What you're saying is that the LBGT community is bad until they support the politics YOU believe in.

Too transparent. But whatever...it's normal for right wingers to be on the wrong side of history anyway. Doesn't matter because you'll just get ran over like a Mack Truck by the new reality if you're just bound and determined to stick to your intransigence.
My personal politics are grounded in what I personally believe to be a consistent set of premises; I'm not going to apologize for them, but I'm not about to go running to Big Brother to get my way at the expense of somebody else. However, if the collection o influence-peddlers and influence-seekers "fall through the cracks" because the taxpayers have had enough, don't expect me to show any sympathy for them.

In fairness, I don't think too many of us "right-wingers" (your term, not mine) are committed to a complete laissez-faire economy; I can live with the relatively small amount of coercion needed to enforce the rules uniformly, and just want control returned to the local level where the abusive minority can be weeded out. But that doesn't bode well for the people who want to make a career out of indolence.

Sexual orientation had nothing to do with this -- until the leaders of the LGBT community threw their lot in with Big Brother.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-02-2015 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:44 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Just ignore it because it was taken 15 years ago?

Ok. That's fair.

But then lets go ignore the confederate battle flag that didn't mean anything other than the fact it was a battle flag in the mid-1800s before it did mean something (and 100+ years later, not 15 years later) that doesn't sit well in 2015.

See, you can't have it both ways.

A flag can get hijacked and upset the "feelers" of the PC folks because it represents something that it was never intended to (100+ years after the fact), and the PC crowd will have that flag banned.

So yes, you can hijack a picture….BUT that means NOTHING, isn't an insult, and it means nothing, and never will, because the LGBT movement wasn't at the top of their game while hijacking the picture.... 15 years ago.

How does that work?

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-03-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Ok. That's fair.

But then lets go ignore the confederate battle flag that didn't mean anything other than the fact it was a battle flag in the mid-1800s before it did mean something (and 100+ years later, not 15 years later) that doesn't sit well in 2015.

You can't hijack a flag and get away with it (oh, wait you CAN) and have it represent something that it was never intended to, but you can hijack a picture and it means nothing, and never will, because the LGBT movement wasn't at the top of their game while hijacking the picture.... 15 years ago.

How does that work?
No, I think people should not give this photo any attention because it is poor taste and poor artwork.

In term of the confederate flag, I think people should be able to fly it. I have friends who fly that flag because TO THEM, it represents Southern Warrior. who am I to judge and calling them racists especially when I know they are not racists at all.

So, yeah, I agree with you.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:06 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It is disrespectful, but I doubt that the artist behind the work meant any disrespect, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My personal politics are grounded in what I personally believe to be a consistent set of premises; I'm not going to apologize for them, but I'm not about to go running to Big Brother to get my way at the expense of somebody else. However, if the collection o influence-peddlers and influence-seekers "fall through the cracks" because the taxpayers have had enough, don't expect me to show any sympathy for them.

In fairness, I don't think too many of us "right-wingers" (your term, not mine) are committed to a complete laissez-faire economy; I can live with the relatively small amount of coercion needed to enforce the rules uniformly, and just want control returned to the local level where the abusive minority can be weeded out. But that doesn't bode well for the people who want to make a career out of indolence.

Sexual orientation had nothing to do with this -- until the leaders of the LGBT community threw their lot in with Big Brother.
Meh...you'll run to big brother in a heartbeat if you have your aspirations or interests impeded by ignorant fools hellbent on keeping you from getting the rights you deserve. Everyone will...and you'll do it at anyone's expense necessary.

Besides, Gay Rights have come at no one's expense.

As for your words about an abusive minority and people making a career of indolence....i have no idea of what or whom you're referring to, so i'll just leave that alone.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Ok. That's fair.

A flag can get hijacked and upset the "feelers" of the PC folks because it represents something that it was never intended to (100+ years after the fact), and the PC crowd will have that flag banned.

So yes, you can hijack a picture….BUT that means NOTHING, isn't an insult, and it means nothing, and never will, because the LGBT movement wasn't at the top of their game while hijacking the picture.... 15 years ago.

How does that work?
So let's get to the heart of the matter since you guys can't seem to discuss any topic without bringing the Confederate Flag into it; why are you guys so in love with the Confederate Flag? What about it tickles your fancy so much and gives you that warm tingly feeling?

Come on...be honest.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Not sure if it has been mentioned but that photo was actually staged after the first one was raised. Here's the the real deal.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned but that photo was actually staged after the first one was raised. Here's the the real deal.
I think there were 11 photos taken on that day, and the photo you showed is the first flag on Iwo Jima.

Joe Rosenthal (spell check) took the second photo with the second flag, somehow, this photo

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-iwo-jima.html

became iconic.

I can understand why though, because Joe capture the moment and also transcend it. Certain image is just more powerful than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies