Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

A symbol of southern heritage, history and a reminder where we came from...

A symbol of gayness, has a short history, no heritage, and an announcement to the world, to say "I'm Gay"

Both fully protected by the 1st amendment to the US Constitution. The very next amendment, is for those wishing to deny anyone their first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I think Hate can be a two way street, not one with a one way sign

I am pretty sure just like civilians, Some veterans would be offended by this photo, some would not. I don't believe they share the exact same opinions or feelings about this photo. And it is okay.

I think gays and lesbians are winning an uphill battle, which is wonderful. I don't personally believe the artist meant to be offensive, I don't think he is equating the gay struggle with the contribution and sacrifice of American servicemen. You have to be a real idiot and egomaniac to believe your political struggle is even close to the Iwo Jima Marines.

I can understand why some Veterans and civilians would find this photo offensive, I also can understand somebody found this photo harmless. There should be some mutual understanding and respect.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
As a veteran, I find this photo offensive and disgusting, and if that is offensive to anyone too bad.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
**** Christ,

mike drop........

Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
This photo, more than anything, shows the inflated sense of worth that gay activists have. There is no comparison between the Battle of Iwo Jima and the gay rights movement.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Bla bla bla.

The Iwo Jima photo is an iconic symbol of overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds and claiming victory after a long battle.

Unless the artist desecrated the US flag in the original photo, rational thinking individuals should not see any disrespect.

As someone earlier in this thread pointed out, the iconic image is used by everyone from protesters, to punk rockers, to unions and even what looks like a car dealership.

Adding the rainbow flag merely references the icon as a symbol of victory. It does not detract from, make fun of, or denigrate the original.

Unless you're an overly sensitive moron, of course. Then you'll be offended.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Just ignore it because it was taken 15 years ago?

Ok. That's fair.

But then lets go ignore the confederate battle flag that didn't mean anything other than the fact it was a battle flag in the mid-1800s before it did mean something (and 100+ years later, not 15 years later) that doesn't sit well in 2015.

See, you can't have it both ways.

A flag can get hijacked and upset the "feelers" of the PC folks because it represents something that it was never intended to (100+ years after the fact), and the PC crowd will have that flag banned.

So yes, you can hijack a picture….BUT that means NOTHING, isn't an insult, and it means nothing, and never will, because the LGBT movement wasn't at the top of their game while hijacking the picture.... 15 years ago.

How does that work?

You're so concerned about insulting those who fought and died for this country?

Where were you then when honorable servicemen and women were Dishonorably discharged for simply being gay during DADT? Where were you when witchhunts for gay servicemen and women simply doing their jobs were ongoing in all branches of the military?

Where was your fret over insult when gay servicepeople could not provide the same benefits and life for the ones they love like heterosexual servicepeople could?

I'm sure you were marching, huh?

Where was your concern for veterans who after WW2, Korea, etc., found themselves discriminated against by society because they were gay? Fired from jobs, denied housing, etc.?

The only INSULT here is the INSULT to the collective intelligence of this nation, occasioned by people who cannot see what absolute raging hypocrites they are.

Cry those crocodile tears.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:11 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Just ignore it because it was taken 15 years ago?

Ok. That's fair.

But then lets go ignore the confederate battle flag that didn't mean anything other than the fact it was a battle flag in the mid-1800s before it did mean something (and 100+ years later, not 15 years later) that doesn't sit well in 2015.

See, you can't have it both ways.

A flag can get hijacked and upset the "feelers" of the PC folks because it represents something that it was never intended to (100+ years after the fact), and the PC crowd will have that flag banned.

So yes, you can hijack a picture….BUT that means NOTHING, isn't an insult, and it means nothing, and never will, because the LGBT movement wasn't at the top of their game while hijacking the picture.... 15 years ago.

How does that work?
Partisan thinking is the enemy of thinking.

Not everyone who supports gay rights has a problem with the confederate flag. I know the poster you're responding to doesn't. I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a rather silly thing to wave around, but if an individual wants to, by all means. However, any organization that wants to ban it can do so (though I'd agree that the reason we're seeing it now is not for the right reasons).

Old 07-03-2015, 09:15 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Very Distasteful. some of these soldiers who planted that flag did not make it of the Rock.

Those who did this editing should rethink their thinking and those who lost their lives in service of their Country and the Freedoms we have.
Even being Gay!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Hey fools, the photo is 15 years old. Slow news day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies