Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The business is a privately owned business. The simple fact they allow people to walk in freely doesn't negate that fact.
That people can walk in freely makes it also a public accommodation. And there are laws prohibiting discrimination by public accommodations.

Quote:
Why is the law applied to only one party in a business transaction? You think that's fair? You don't believe in equality under the law?
It's pretty clear you don't understand the law at all.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Headline - Baker breaks the law and gets busted.
Breaking news-Break the law, pay fine..

Old 07-04-2015, 11:33 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Uh, because only one party was violating it? Or can you cite a law requiring shoppers to patronize certain businesses? Like it or not a business open to the public will be held to certain regulations, there are no regulations requiring the public to patronize them.
Okay, so you agree that the law is not applied equally and that by that standard it violates the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution. You should have just said so in the first place instead of acting like you didn't understand what I was saying.

Your only point seems to be, "That's the law. Fair or not, deal with it."

Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What is rich if this "Christian" baking couple would have turned away a BLACK customer instead! Because they would know a Lawsuit was coming!
Sorry but I don't have sympathy for bigots!
Gee, the last time I checked the Bible there was nothing that would prohibit a Christian from participation in the wedding of a black couple.

Objecting to and refusing to participate in something that mocks God is not bigotry. Sorry. Check your definition. Bigotry is unreasonable discrimination, or hatred of an ethnic or religious group that is based on their religion or ethnicity. But we are called to uses discernment (discriminate) in our relationships, and to not be a party to evil. That is not bigotry.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Okay, so you agree that the law is not applied equally and that by that standard it violates the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution. You should have just said so in the first place instead of acting like you didn't understand what I was saying.

Your only point seems to be, "That's the law. Fair or not, deal with it."
I said NOTHING of then kind, stop trying to twist things around. It's completely incorrect to say the law is not applied equally because it does not apply to the public as it does to a business. Your (il)logic is akin to saying speed laws are not applied equally because drivers get speeding tickets and pilots don't.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:35 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Supachai
You haven't even countered my point that Civil Rights laws are applied unequally. I'm well aware of what the anti-discrimination laws state. They violate the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution.

Why is the law applied to only one party in a business transaction? You think that's fair?"

Yes, that is fair. The business is the one open to the public.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That people can walk in freely makes it also a public accommodation. And there are laws prohibiting discrimination by public accommodations.

It's pretty clear you don't understand the law at all.
No. I do understand the law and the law is unconstitutional.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
No. I do understand the law and the law is unconstitutional.
Gee, and you weren't appointed to the SCOTUS, why is that?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
For anyone feeling sorry for these law-breaking bakers:

On top of the over $100,000k the "Sweet" bakers had already made from the Gofundme crowdfunding account they started, they now have more than another $100,000k from this one:

https://www.continuetogive.com/4811392

Sounds like they are making a good profit from breaking the law.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I said NOTHING of then kind, stop trying to twist things around. It's completely incorrect to say the law is not applied equally because it does not apply to the public as it does to a business. Your (il)logic is akin to saying speed laws are not applied equally because drivers get speeding tickets and pilots don't.
Terrible analogy. Do pilots ride on the same roads as car drivers?

The business is privately owned. Being open to the public doesn't change that fact. You have two parties in a business transaction and a law that only applies to one party. Do business owners have a different set of rights? According to anti-discrimination laws, they do, which violates the Equal Protection clause. I don't know what's so difficult to comprehend about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies