Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
My54ford, why would we ban another country's flag? They were a sovereign nation that didn't commit treason against the U.S., they committed an act of war. Go look up the word treason and then get back to me.
I'm too busy hanging up the Stainless Banner!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
City-Data has a 4th of July flag-type symbol in the upper-right corner, as do many web sites.

However, I'm seeing an odd occurrence today. Another website (over 5 million members)--mostly women, primarily crafting and hobbies--is showing a different side. They put up a Canadian symbol for Canada Day, and started a thread "Happy Canada Day." They put up a rainbow flag for the SCOTUS decision, started multiple threads, even one to explain how to put a rainbow on your avatar picture.

Today--nothing. Someone started a "happy 4th of July" thread and it was quickly shut down by the moderators. We've been told that anyone continuing to discuss the U.S. flag or 4th of July will be banned. One difference from here is that on each post you can click an option (agree/disagree/funny/love, etc.) and any mention by anyone of patriotism or celebrating the country is being met with literally hundreds of "disagree" clicks. The only thread that is being allowed is on another small forum and it's titled "Murica's birthday" like they don't even want the name of the country named.

In general, I've seen that some people celebrate the holidays, some don't. But this odd "you can't even mention 4th of July or a U.S. flag" is new, and disturbing.

Is this a new trend? You can fly a gay pride flag but not an American flag? This is strangely uncomfortable.

Is anyone else seeing a "don't talk about anything pro-American" trend?

Mistake number one -- posting this here. All you will get is condescension and the middle finger. I would excuse your action only if I learned you were a masochist.

If, on the other hand, you would have mentioned in passing that the website refused to post a rainbow flag or allow their members to mention any sort of gay-related topic on the forums, outcry would have reverberated around the world, we'd be on high alert with Panzers and SS troops combing through our cities, airspace would have been shut down with nuclear-warhead-armed bombers streaking across the sky and V1 rockets at the ready, the website would have been shut down and its servers set afire and buildings bulldozed, the owners would have been burned at the stake after having been drawn in the town square (televised on national TV as a warning to other potential heretics), lawsuits would have been levied against every resident of the involved state for allowing such horrendous discrimination to exist within its borders, large-scale aerial dispersion within the offending city of Zyclon B via Einsatzgruppe troops would have been realized, and this all would have been done on hearsay--no proof needed. Rumor would have been wholly sufficient. If they can't live by the law, by God, then they shall die by the law.

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-06-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Oh, and most places don't call a military veteran a murderer or baby killer.

Veteran gets rude welcome on Bainbridge - seattlepi.com
The article is from 2004, but even then I never witnesses anything even remotely like that. I did see a lot of the opposite though, like people applauding and cheering military people at the airports.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Mistake number one -- posting this here. All you will get is condescension and the middle finger. I would excuse your action only if I learned you were a masochist.

If, on the other hand, you would have mentioned in passing that the website refused to post a rainbow flag or allow their members to mention any sort of gay-related topic on the forums, outcry would have reverberated around the world, we'd be on high alert with Panzers and SS troops combing through our cities, airspace would have been shut down with nuclear-warhead-armed bombers streaking across the sky and V1 rockets at the ready, the website would have been shut down and its servers set afire and buildings bulldozed, the owners would have been burned at the stake after having been drawn in the town square (televised on national TV as a warning to other potential heretics), lawsuits would have been levied against every resident of the involved state for allowing such horrendous discrimination to exist within its borders, large-scale aerial dispersion within the offending city of Zyclon B via Einsatzgruppe troops would have been realized, and this all would have been done on hearsay--no proof needed. Rumor would have been wholly sufficient. If they can't live by law, by God, they'll die by the law.
LOL. I bet you had fun writing that bombastic silliness, didn't you? Meanwhile, the OP has thus far resisted naming this egregiously unpatriotic site, despite many requests. So for all we know, the OP is pure fiction to begin with. But by all means, don't let that stop you from your fantasy fiction writing. It's amusing in its absurdity.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Most places didn't have teachers, professors, and students attacking military recruiter tables or actively trying to prevent them from setting foot on campus.
That's a narrow selection of people in a narrow venue.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
My54ford, why would we ban another country's flag? They were a sovereign nation that didn't commit treason against the U.S., they committed an act of war. Go look up the word treason and then get back to me.
Actually, the Imperial Japanese rising sun flag was banned in Japan during the US occupation of Japan. Of course, it never flew in the US anyway.

So My54ford's post was inane in the first place.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 AM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
LOL. I bet you had fun writing that bombastic silliness, didn't you?
Damn right!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I'm too busy hanging up the Stainless Banner!!
What's nice about that flag is that it has the white flag of defeat built right into it. It's as if they knew they were losers when they designed it that way, so they could just cut the stars and bars out and what remained was the white flag of surrender. Very economical.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The article is from 2004, but even then I never witnesses anything even remotely like that. I did see a lot of the opposite though, like people applauding and cheering military people at the airports.
I enlisted during the latter years of the Vietnam war, and I did get called "baby-killer" on the streets, even in Oklahoma. All I get these days is "Thank you for your service."

The odd thing is that a lot of young troops are annoyed by that.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I enlisted during the latter years of the Vietnam war, and I did get called "baby-killer" on the streets, even in Oklahoma. All I get these days is "Thank you for your service."
That's my point about today. The treatment of Vietnam vets was shameful.

Quote:
The odd thing is that a lot of young troops are annoyed by that.
I guess a lot of people don't need the public attention, they just do their jobs and mind their own business. I would probably annoy me too, but I would understand they mean well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies