Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times

Advertisements

I am born and raised in NJ and I think Christie is a democrat stating he is a republican.. he says to cut SS and raise age to collect it for two more years and cut pensions on WORKING AMERICANS, and then goes on to say NJ has invested 18 K for each illegal alien to sent them to grade school so we have to invest more to educate illegal aliens and send them to college with the working man's tax dollars..

Sounds like the democrat's creed . Cut AMERICANS benefits, and add benefits to illegal aliens..this is backward!! I will never vote for Christie and I am a Republican for good reason! Not a half republican and half democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
When your given a SS number at birth, pay into a system of which assuming you live to see it actually pay you at SS age is nothing more then a tax. So when you are given a number by your government and force to pay into it, sounds like something not about freedom.
It's not. It's slavery. A lot of people just haven't realized that yet.

Quote:
Set a cut off date for SS anyone born on day X going forward IE Janurary 1, 2016 will no longer pay into SS all future generations will have their own responsibility. Let those on SS until they die or opt out of the system all together.

Freedom give it a try.
I agree.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I pay more for my NJ pension (7.5%) of my salary than I do for ss (5.6%) and he has everyone convinced that I have been ripping that off. Why be surprised he is going to say the same about you and SS?
Many people die before they can collect.. or they die with just a few payments paid..

Old 07-07-2015, 08:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I think we should base the Social Security tax on all income from all sources and limit the payout to those with income below about five times the median income. This would assure good health care to all of our senior citizens and avoid wasting money on the wealthy that found some way of getting rich during their working years. If the wealthy seniors don't like this there are so few of them they should not matter.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post

I don't want anyone touching my SS. That is my money, who cares if I "need" it or not. It is not my job to GIVE my money away because someone says I don't need it because I have enough. If people are not smart with their money and/or not hard working enough, nor live within their means allowing them to create a nest egg when they get old, too bad; there are consequences that THEY have to pay not me.....WTH?

Work hard and give all of your hard working benefits to the people who don't work hard or just sponge off of others.

The older I get, the more conservative I get on economic issues..... People are effing lazy and they deserve what they get!!

Edit: not including the truly mentally, physically, and emotionally disabled; the people who are born that way, not the ones who are created by bad parenting. What we should do with the latter is another discussion.
The amount of SS and SSDI benefits is based on the money you have earned over your lifetime. If you have worked hard and earned an annual income near or above the earnings cap for paying into SS, you will get a lot more than someone who has paid in based on incomes averaging 25% to 50% of the cap.

The beef I have with the earnings cap is that, when the government needed more money, they took it out of the SS trust fund to avoid raising taxes on everyone, which really means those that were making much more than the cap did not see a rise in taxes at the expense of those who will be or are already counting on SS. Lowering benefits or extending the age for collecting benefits for those that need it, continues to give the high earners a pass for their earlier tax avoidance.

I am an economic conservative and believe that even the highest earners should keep what they earn as much as possible, but in the case I outlined above, I think the high earners owe the rest some recompense. My feeling is that the SS trust fund should be returned to protected status and the earnings cap should be lifted for all until the fund is restored. Then bring back the cap to about where it is now.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,232,912 times
We are running out of money and it seems sensible that if you have enough to support yourself, then you don't need the government. I don't like Chris Christie but this is just common sense.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Millionaires. Even hundred thousand aires do not need social insurance. The poor or as you refer to them as people who didn't save. Didn't prepare. Didn't do the right thing. They are the ones who need societies social insurance.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

??? ??? ??? ???

People who worked at low-wage jobs their entire lives without benefits and thus did not have the resources to prepare for retirement...didn't do the right thing?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
When your given a SS number at birth, pay into a system of which assuming you live to see it actually pay you at SS age is nothing more then a tax. So when you are given a number by your government and force to pay into it, sounds like something not about freedom.

Set a cut off date for SS anyone born on day X going forward IE Janurary 1, 2016 will no longer pay into SS all future generations will have their own responsibility. Let those on SS until they die or opt out of the system all together.

Freedom give it a try.

I was not given a SS number at birth; I applied for it when I was 15. Needed it for a job. Didn't need it for my first two jobs.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think we should base the Social Security tax on all income from all sources and limit the payout to those with income below about five times the median income.
I think we should just not have anyone work and just have the federal government give everyone everything they need and want. Just as feasible as what you suggested.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think we should base the Social Security tax on all income from all sources and limit the payout to those with income below about five times the median income. This would assure good health care to all of our senior citizens and avoid wasting money on the wealthy that found some way of getting rich during their working years. If the wealthy seniors don't like this there are so few of them they should not matter.
What about the people who had a lot of money going into retirement and then somehow lost it all, should they die in the streets or be allowed to collect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies