Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,846,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Both of these quotes contain a great deal of validity.

We live in a "now" world. As "thinking" deteriorates in "acting", broader and bigger issues like climate change, or gun control, require simply too much cerebral investigation for most Americans to ponder. So they just ignore it.

As witness Newtown. A horrible tragedy, from which came what? More guns! Let's arm the teachers and some other absurd suggestions. Just unfathomable to any thinking person.

So yes, America is not ready to deal with the issue of guns and the routine and daily death which they inflict. We don't even grimace any longer over the events in Charleston, or on the San Francisco pier. Yeah, whatever, somebody got shot. I think they may have died. Is there an app for that?

It WILL matter.....half of Congress gets blown away during a State of the Union speech, or five thousand souls get popped during the Super Bowl on prime time television by some nut with an automatic rifle(s). People will see it...not just a dozen or two slaughtered, but hundreds or thousands....and they MIGHT react, finally.

Otherwise, it is just spinning your wheels and wasting your breath thinking we are ready to come up with a comprehensive, workable, gun policy. Sadly, you, or yours, may die from a gunshot wound. and that is a personal tragedy.

But, so far, it is not a national event which needs to be addressed.
So when someone is shooting people like at newtown who do you call and what do they carry? Now why is it unreasonable to train those that are willing who are already at those sensitive areas to carry the same thing?

Is it unreasonable to teach cpr to teachers because they could just call 911 and someone will show up and perform cpr?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,090,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I am not a pro-gun advocate, but I must observe that if nothing could be done legislatively immediately after Newtown, I am skeptical that there could ever be a political will in America to effectuate any meaningful gun control. It was mesmerizing to see something like 75-85% approval by the general populace on some forms of gun control, and then absolutely nothing being done due to the gun manufacturer lobby (which is what the NRA is). Democracy didn't work.

Mick
Try googling the top lobby groups in Washington.... you won't find the NRA in the top 50.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,264,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So when someone is shooting people like at newtown who do you call and what do they carry? Now why is it unreasonable to train those that are willing who are already at those sensitive areas to carry the same thing?

Is it unreasonable to teach cpr to teachers because they could just call 911 and someone will show up and perform cpr?
True, there is no need to call the fire department, I am sure that little fire extinguisher will put out this little fire.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,921,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Both of these quotes contain a great deal of
validity.

We live in a "now" world. As "thinking" deteriorates in "acting", broader and
bigger issues like climate change, or gun control, require simply too much
cerebral investigation for most Americans to ponder. So they just ignore it.

As witness Newtown. A horrible tragedy, from which came what? More guns!
Let's arm the teachers and some other absurd suggestions. Just unfathomable to
any thinking person.

So yes, America is not ready to deal with the issue of guns and the routine
and daily death which they inflict. We don't even grimace any longer over the
events in Charleston, or on the San Francisco
pier.
Yeah, whatever, somebody got shot. I think they may have
died. Is there an app for that?
San Francisco, and California in general, is a gun control utopia with all the kinds of laws that you would probably support, yet we still see shootings in places like that. I just got done watching a clip of a reporter who was robbed at gunpoint while reporting on the shooting at the pier.

How can this be?
Quote:
It WILL matter.....half of Congress gets blown away during a State of the Union
speech, or five thousand souls get popped during the Super Bowl on prime time
television
Those places are heavily guarded by men with guns. Funny, that.
Quote:
by some nut with an automatic rifle(s).
Automatic rifles are, for all intents and purposes, illegal. The ones that are legal ( which had to have been made pre 1986 ) are heavily regulated by the ATF. Permits to purchase one take months and extensive background checks, and must be registered. Provided you jump through all those hoops, they cost about 20k.

Sounds like you need to do some research before rendering an opinion on a subject you know precious little about.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Try googling the top lobby groups in Washington.... you won't find the NRA in the top 50.
They rank 150th in lobby spending, and 10th in outside spending.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/sum...?id=D000000082

Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 PM

638 posts, read 981,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
True, there is no need to call the fire department, I am sure that little fire extinguisher will put out this little fire.
It won't put out that fire, it will stop the flame before it becomes that big.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Oh but see, we're talking about guns, which is the one issue that causes some people to suspend all sense of what normally would be considered perfectly reasonable rationale.

It's the one issue that for some reason, must be approached with a completely different way of thinking than any other.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Exactly....
Can't argue with that logic, but I'm sure they'll try.

+1

Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
That is if you catch it before it gets that big, and provided you are able to fully put it out before it can spread. Sometimes a fire extinguisher isn't going to be enough to help you stop a fire that has started.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,978,114 times
I support gun control - every time I go to the range and practice my grip!

But don't worry all you anti-gun people, I won't be opening myself up to liability by extending my sphere of influence to you if you are attacked. I will "observe and report." If the police arrive they can protect you. Oh wait, I forgot, it isn't the police's job to protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies