Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's the problem..... only the responsible gun sellers would do it....

Straw purchasers and people who've made it their career to supply the illegal black market won't be doing any such checks.
And those people should be sitting in prison next to those they sell guns to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I'm for making room in our prisons by freeing low level drug offenders.
I'm also for aggressively prosecuting violent criminals.
Like I said, stop the plea bargains, mandatory 10 for first time gun crimes. 5 years for possession of an illegal gun. The gun is illegal if the person carrying it is legally prohibited from owning a firearm.
STOP the recidivism! If we do this, it will be more effective than any gun legislation.

Within five years of release, 82 percent of property offenders were arrested for a new crime, compared to 77 percent of drug offenders, 74 percent of public order offenders and 71 percent of violent offenders, the report found.

The report also found that recidivism was highest among males, blacks and young adults

Once a criminal, always a criminal? Recidivism rate analyzed in new Bureau of Justice report - CBS News
I agree, I would almost say those sentences should be longer than that.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And? You realize I can just as easily show you plenty of articles where a violent attack went wrong for the victim that may or may not have had a gun in their hand....it still means that much of these things are left up to luck and chance.

Here is a sad story for you where an armed man was shot and killed during a robbery. Three of the four attackers were also wounded, but the store owner did not survive.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2072249
1 vs. thousands, great comparison....

Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I will continue to support tight gun control laws....

As is your right. I will continue to support the 2nd amendment by owning as many guns as I please, as is my right.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
It is almost like the United States gets a sick thrill these days at being behind the rest of the world. It is absolutely amazing.
The US is afflicted by a loudmouth angry right wing religious minority that manages to impede progress on many fronts, while blindly supporting the corporatist agenda.

Quote:
By all means folks, check out the gun control situation in Japan and take a look at the number of violent homicides in that country carried out by firearms (2 in 2006; 22 in 2007; 11 in 2008). This is in a country of roughly 127 million people!

Have a look:
A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - The Atlantic

I would prefer to be able to walk down main street without having to worry about a gunfight breaking out.
I'd submit that the Japanese situation is not analogous to the USA in many more important aspects than their lack of guns.

Japan is monoracial, monolinguistic, monocultural and does not invite millions of illegal laborers into their workforce to hold down pay and benefits for their citizenry, who further have to support these illegals through food stamps, subsidized housing, and indigent medical care in so many emergency rooms across the country - just another facet of America's generous corporate welfare benefiting the already wealthy at the expense of the public.

Japan also doesn't do everything in its power to promote the accumulation of the nation's resources into the bank accounts of their top 1%.

Most gun control proposals are about as well thought out as restricting cars from the sober to minimize drunk driving. We approach drunk driving as a driver issue, not an automobile problem. Doing so has cut the rate of DWI by a considerable amount over the past several decades.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:45 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
I'm pretty sure that it's entirely reasonable to want more background checks and to clamp down on gun shows and such, so no.

The problem is that some people are too dumb to figure out that gun control doesn't equal gun prohibition, and every discussion on the subject leads to their ranting about government tyranny and how the liberals want to take their guns away, hammers kill more people than guns, why don't we ban cars, guns save lives, etc.

It's not an issue that conservatives can rationally discuss... and it's not the only issue like that either.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's entirely reasonable to want more background checks and to clamp down on gun shows and such, so no.

The problem is that some people are too dumb to figure out that gun control doesn't equal gun prohibition, and every discussion on the subject leads to their ranting about government tyranny and how the liberals want to take their guns away, hammers kill more people than guns, why don't we ban cars, guns save lives, etc.

It's not an issue that conservatives can rationally discuss... and it's not the only issue like that either.
Libs tend to not know what they are talking about when discussing guns. For instance, you think gun shows need regulation. The "gun show" loophole actually has nothing to do with gun shows. It refers to private transactions. These transactions can occur outside a gun show or anywhere else for that matter. Inside gun shows are FFLs that all conduct background checks. Of course anti gun folks don't attend gun shows so they would know this.

Many influential law makers are on record saying they would remove guns from society if given the chance. Any proposed gun legislation is seen as a step in this direction eventually.

If anti gun legislation were to pass, and then it becomes apparent that it only affected legal gun owners and not criminals, then what? More anti gun legislation? Where do you promise to stop?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:

Simply wanting a doctor to have admitting privileges to a hospital before performing an abortion doesn't equal abortion prohibition.

Simply expecting voters to show an ID that is free and already required for almost all aspects of modern life isn't the same as voter suppression and prohibition.

These are not issues liberals can rationally discuss.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:50 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that it's entirely reasonable to want more background checks and to clamp down on gun shows and such, so no. .
I have no problem with background checks or waiting periods. I have a problem with Boxer/Pelosi types screaming for "assault weapon" bans when 99% of all gun deaths are committed with handguns firing a few rounds. That is infringing on my 2A rights.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
As the latest Dylan Roof fiasco showed, we need tougher background checks.

I refuse to accept that as a first world country we keep acting like the Taliban when it comes to guns.

The Republicans were vehemently against smoking restrictions as well but common sense prevailed there after decades of perseverance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies