Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:24 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times

Advertisements

https://feminist.org/blog/index.php/...-for-students/

Surprise — teens are having sex. How can we make it safer? | Grist
Though they can't get a soda or bag of chips, students as early as 6th grade can get an IUD or hormone birth control without parental permission nor knowledge. While relatively safe, there are some risk with IUDs and other forms of birth control. I wonder if the school is open to a civil suit should a student have an injury or adverse complication of the BC given without the parents' knowledge nor permission? While the state of Washington has made it legal to provide birth control to students without parents knowledge nor permission, does this also absolve the school of penalties of a civil suit should the student need hospital care for a reaction or vaginal injury? While these methods are fine for preventing pregnancy, they offer absolutely zero protection against STDs. Condoms offer protection from both pregnancy and STDs. Based upon the article, it seems as if the sole focus of the program is about preventing pregnancy. How much of a focus do they give to preventing STDs? AIDS is still around and has been on the increase again. Some STDs can't be cured with a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 01:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
I don't see a problem.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't see a problem.
https://nwhn.org/not-your-mother%E2%...ks-modern-iuds

Old 07-03-2015, 02:39 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Just more normalization of the free love, promiscuous type culture that libs love so much.

What's next? Free abortions for 5th graders?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:53 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just more normalization of the free love, promiscuous type culture that libs love so much.

What's next? Free abortions for 5th graders?
Because it's so much better to follow the standard conservative method and stick your head in the sand, right?

You might want to double check to see which states have the most teen pregnancies.

Teen Pregnancy Rates By State

Old 07-03-2015, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Because it's so much better to follow the standard conservative method and stick your head in the sand, right?

You might want to double check to see which states have the most teen pregnancies.

Another concern I have is what could be the long term effects of children as young as preteen taking hormone BC considering their bodies are in the early stages of development?

Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post

You people just don't seem to get it, do you?

As much as people might not like to admit it, the world raises your child, not you. The environment your child grows up in will determine how they think about certain subjects like sex, and what they will view as normal and what is not, not you. Children are not raised in a vacuum. They are not immune from the worlds influence. The influence of society will be what shapes young minds.

So the fact that we see high birth rates in kids who grow up in Conservative homes, in a world that says promiscuous sex is ok, proves nothing. The world says casual sex and promiscuity are ok, through the sex saturated pop culture and media, therefore, kids will grow up thinking it's ok. Society says that drug use is ok by glamourizing it, so therefore we're seeing pushes to legalize drugs. It's why homosexuality is now accepted by the majority ( which is a good thing )

On the opposite side of the spectrum, smoking cigarettes used to be viewed as normal, but since has been stigmatized, and we're seeing all time low smoking rates.

What were the birthrates 100 years ago when the world took a far more Conservative stance on sex? It used to be that having sex outsideof marriage was looked down upon and brought shame to yourself.

Programs like this one only serve to tell kids that it's ok to have all the sex you want, and there won't be consequences for promiscuous behavior. As long as that's the attitude adopted by the public at large, it won't matter how Conservatively one raises their child, they'll adopt the attitude and behavior that the rest of the world says is ok and normal.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-03-2015 at 03:38 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 05:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
If my daughter came to us seeking birth control I would have no problem seeing that she gets it. I am not against birth control for teens. I've argued that sex education should include all aspects (including noting that abstinence is the only 100% sure way of not getting pregnant or an STD) but if someone did this to my daughter without my knowledge, I would take a baseball bat to them.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:05 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Seeing how we all complain about Feral teens and parents who don't give a crap / no involvement, I don't see this as a negative if done correctly.
If we can prevent 13 year old girls from getting pregnant maybe we can cut down on abortions and change a few lives for the better.

Please stop the BS that Conservatives are against these programs.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://feminist.org/blog/index.php/...-for-students/

Surprise — teens are having sex. How can we make it safer? | Grist
Though they can't get a soda or bag of chips, students as early as 6th grade can get an IUD or hormone birth control without parental permission nor knowledge. While relatively safe, there are some risk with IUDs and other forms of birth control. I wonder if the school is open to a civil suit should a student have an injury or adverse complication of the BC given without the parents' knowledge nor permission? While the state of Washington has made it legal to provide birth control to students without parents knowledge nor permission, does this also absolve the school of penalties of a civil suit should the student need hospital care for a reaction or vaginal injury? While these methods are fine for preventing pregnancy, they offer absolutely zero protection against STDs. Condoms offer protection from both pregnancy and STDs. Based upon the article, it seems as if the sole focus of the program is about preventing pregnancy. How much of a focus do they give to preventing STDs? AIDS is still around and has been on the increase again. Some STDs can't be cured with a shot.
Uh, and ... ? RWers, wow! They think they can form a Democracy in the ME AND stop teenagers from having sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies