Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I'm waiting for the ACLU to step in and challenge the law which prohibits users of MJ from buying a gun. I'm certain it will happen.
When the ACLU reads the bill of rights they skip the second one.

I would actually support the ACLU if they supported all of my civil liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for the ACLU to step in and challenge the law which prohibits users of MJ from buying a gun. I'm certain it will happen.
And we're all waiting for you to define how "liberals" are facing a "dilemma" in wanting legalized marijuana and better gun laws.

A dilemma suggests there are two options and you get to choose one. But that's not the case here. Legal marijuana and gun laws that keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them as best as is possible, these aren't mutually exclusive things.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
And we're all waiting for you to define how "liberals" are facing a "dilemma" in wanting legalized marijuana and better gun laws.

A dilemma suggests there are two options and you get to choose one. But that's not the case here. Legal marijuana and gun laws that keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them as best as is possible, these aren't mutually exclusive things.

The two options are a)smoke pot or b) legally purchase a firearm. Marijuna isn't legal. It's tolerated by a few states at the state level.

It's not complicated. Interesting that gun grabbers are using the SC incident in an attempt to expand control. Dylan Roof was cleared to purchase his gun because a clerical error by the FBI missed a drug charge. The usual media pundits were pointing out the dangers of allowing anyone on drugs buy a gun. Can't make this stuff up.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When the ACLU reads the bill of rights they skip the second one.

I would actually support the ACLU if they supported all of my civil liberties.

The ACLU Defends Gun Rights - Hit & Run : Reason.com

ACLU: Reid gun bill could threaten privacy, civil liberties | The Daily Caller

ACLU Files On Behalf Of Gun Owner Abusively Arrested By Philadelphia Police | JONATHAN TURLEY

Pro-gun Organizations Call On ACLU To Defend Second Amendment Rights - Personal Liberty

I guess this means you support the ACLU.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Those are state chapters. I am talking about the national chapter that runs the show so to speak.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
My uber-liberal, pot-smoking neighbor has a new revolver. It's perfectly legal and he followed the process. The only thing he did do is LIE to the federal government.

While we were having coffee and telling lies about kids and grandkids he brought up the purchase. I used it to point out a flaw of background checks and pointed out he lied to the federal government and got it anyway. Under the law, anyone using or addicted to controlled substances can't buy a gun. He lied and checked "no" despite his use. If he's caught he faces five years in the Big House.

When confronted he instantly went into lawyer mode (he's a retired lawyer) and assured us that the restriction was unconstitutional.

I love picking on liberals. I imagine right now in gun-loving Washington and Colorado there are thousands of felons wandering the streets. What's a liberal to do?
seeing as you are a law abiding conservative, it is your duty to turn him in, did you ?

But to answer your question, they broke the law if that is in fact the federal and state law. Why do you believe there is a contradiction ????

Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Pot smoking gun owner = Conservative

Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Those are state chapters. I am talking about the national chapter that runs the show so to speak.
Swing and a miss, my wife has worked for a state chapter and a friend works for the national chapter, both state and national work together. Basically I took away your excuse for not supporting the ACLU but you can't admit that to yourself.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Speaking in generalities, drug users tend to identify as liberals.
No they dont, drug users come from both sides or did you forget that drugs arent all illegal.

Maybe you meant to say illegal drug users but even then, you wouldnt be able to back up your argument.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
a sweep of your background including criminal, drug abuse, and mental issues
should be required annually for all firearm
They already are. Every time I go buy a firearm I am required to undergo a background check. It doesn't matter if I buy two guns in as many days, I'm still required to do the background check both times. Of course, you know that already, right? Seeing as you think you're qualified to say how the current system needs improving, it stands to reason that you'd know how the current system works now. Somehow I doubt it though.
Quote:
and ammo purchases. All weapon purchases registered (and ammo) and tracked.
Tracker in the gun powder ammo that links every ammo to the original
purchaser.
It's comments like this that shows the absolute lunacy that pervades the gun control crowd, and just how unrealistic in a real world application that their little ideas are. They just sit at their computers, dream something up, say to themselves "yeah, that sounds good" and type it out.

The Governor in NY just stripped the provision in his signature achievement, the SAFE Act, that would have required a mere background check for all ammunition purchases, citing the fact that the State police just couldn't figure out how to make it work more than a year after it was supposed to have taken effect, yet you want to put "tracers" in every bullet and have every individual bullet registered to it's owner.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/ny...-new-york.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies