Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It seems like these 'debates' will serve little purpose, since the times are so short, with 10 Republicans on stage for the 90 minute one. I guess it will show whom is more assertive in talking over the others.
Mr. Trump will, rightly so, get about 75 minutes of that.

It'll be like a Mr. Know-it-All raising his hand whenever the teacher asks a question, and eventually the teacher looks around the class and says, "OK, anybody else know the answer?"

Mick

Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I like them all. am glad they will be doing the debates. All are exellent when it comes to debates,but I am not sure I would call them all moderates: Chris for sure: probably the best interviewer on TV right now and very middle of the road. He is a registered Democrat btw: I don't really consider Megyn moderate. As for Bret I really don't watch him often. His regular show comes on at a bad time for us, not to mention we love the 5 and always watch O'Rielly and usually Megyn. We can take only so much politics in one day. We usually catch some CNN as well.

I am very anxious to see the debates. It is fair to have the lesser known or popular candidates being heard as well.
Good post. All three are acting as moderators for this first debate. A couple are not moderate in their personal and political views, but I am hoping that they all simply ask the questions, keep the respondents on time and on topic. If they inject their personal opinions (moderate or not) into the debate, then they will be doing their viewers a disservice. We've seen that in years past in debates on a number of news channels. Not the time. Not the place.

I'm really looking forward to the debates. Will watch all of them as usual on both sides of the aisle. Curious to see how Fiorina handles herself next week (whether she makes prime time or second string debate). Curious to see how everyone handles Trump. Curious to see how Trump handles direct questions from moderators and direct attacks from opponents. Eager to hear what all of them have to say.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
The most specific criterion the network has offered publicly to date is that its polling experts will select “the five most recent national polls, as recognized by Fox News”—a statement that effectively says that Fox News will pick the polls that Fox News picks. This isn’t a minor point: With the bottom half of the GOP field so tightly packed and with so much variability from one poll to the next, if Fox execs wait until the last moment, they won’t be picking polls—they’ll be selecting candidates.

Fox News GOP debate: Roger Ailes will call the shots in private, use the polls for cover.

So basically, Roger Ailes is going to look at the polls and decide which ones he wants to use, presumably based on which candidates he wants in that top tier. We have conceded the electoral process to a television mogul. It's unbelievable that so many people seem okay with this.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The most specific criterion the network has offered publicly to date is that its polling experts will select “the five most recent national polls, as recognized by Fox News”—a statement that effectively says that Fox News will pick the polls that Fox News picks. This isn’t a minor point: With the bottom half of the GOP field so tightly packed and with so much variability from one poll to the next, if Fox execs wait until the last moment, they won’t be picking polls—they’ll be selecting candidates.

Fox News GOP debate: Roger Ailes will call the shots in private, use the polls for cover.

So basically, Roger Ailes is going to look at the polls and decide which ones he wants to use, presumably based on which candidates he wants in that top tier. We have conceded the electoral process to a television mogul. It's unbelievable that so many people seem okay with this.
This is also taking place against the backdrop of a dispute between Murdoch who doesn't care for Trump, and Ailes who is friendly toward Trump. Murdoch's sons who will soon takeover, don't care for Ailes nearly so much as their father...............

Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 AM

186 posts, read 158,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Bret Baier, Megyn Kelly, Chris Wallace - good, solid moderators, all three.

I agree, they are all GREAT

Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It is his channel (thanks Rupert Murdock), he can make whatever rules.

But I am pretty sure that he is not going to waste his time trying to manipulate the selection process. Why? The ratings would not change at all whether Jindal, Graham, Santorum, Pataki, and so on are or are not included. Nobody cares. Those folks have less than 0% chance of winning the GOP nomination and they are not interesting enough to pull viewers. No harm, no foul. Mr. Trump will pull in all the viewers, others are just meh.

Besides, Fox is setting up a kiddie table for the six who didn't make it. See, they get a medal for just showing up! And they are not even Millennials!

Mick

Old 07-31-2015, 04:39 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,731 times
Default Conservative Group calls for Fiorina to be included in FOX GOP Debate

CBC Members Call For Carly Fiorina To Be In The Debate | Conservative Book Club

CBC Members Call For Carly Fiorina To Be In The Debate

The first GOP presidential debate takes place on August 6th, and only ten candidates will be able to take part based on poll numbers. Most of the big conservative names, from Cruz and Trump to Walker and Paul, already have spots. 57% of our members who voted said they wanted Carly Fiorina to have the 10th and final spot in the debate.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Asking sincerely.....I have no idea. Has she even declared?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:47 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
The top 10 limitation is silly. Have more debates. Don't arbitrarily change the rules so a certain candidates gets in despite the standards for qualification announced months ago.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
CBC Members Call For Carly Fiorina To Be In The Debate | Conservative Book Club

CBC Members Call For Carly Fiorina To Be In The Debate

The first GOP presidential debate takes place on August 6th, and only ten candidates will be able to take part based on poll numbers. Most of the big conservative names, from Cruz and Trump to Walker and Paul, already have spots. 57% of our members who voted said they wanted Carly Fiorina to have the 10th and final spot in the debate.
According to most polls that I have seen, she is not close to being in the top 10. I would like to see her in prime time as well, but if she doesn't make the cut, she doesn't make the cut. I'll still watch her in the afternoon and so will many others.

Have no interest in "Affirmative Action For Female GOP Candidates' and don't really care what the Conservative Book Club has to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies