Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,010,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This

Cleveland is a great city OP.

You stated you have been to Ohio but not Cleveland so IMO, you just aren't very knowledgeable about what Cleveland has to offer. Ohio in general is a great state. We have a lot of large metropolitan areas and Ohio, including Cleveland is a huge "purple" state and the GOP has never won the presidential election without winning Ohio.

There is also more political diversity in Ohio and in Cleveland in general. People in the thread mentioned the Jewish community there and strong Midwestern conservatism in Ohio in general, but Midwesterners IMO (and I am admittedly biased due to being an Ohioan) are known for not sticking as much to political parties as other states/regions and there has been a lot of disatissfaction here with Democrats that the GOP can work to their advantage in Cleveland.

For example, I am a black Ohioan and Cleveland has a large black population and about 28% of the black population in Cleveland supported and voted for our current Republican governor - John Kasich, who is also running for the presidency. A former mayor of Cleveland - George Voinovich, a Republican, was well liked there as well and IMO was one of the few conservatives who were about the business of government and fiscal responsibility after Obama's election versus the new era of extremely far right conservatives.

I think that the GOP wants their convention to be more diverse. They are more likely to show their diversity in Cleveland IMO than in Cinncinnati which is more "southern" than Midwestern IMO due to its proximity to Kentucky. Cleveland is a true Midwestern city. And as stated even political diversity amongst conservatives, liberals, and moderates in that area vary and getting out a positive message from Cleveland is a good thing for the GOP.

OP, you should visit the city. I am from NW OH, Toledo area and I hadn't visited Cleveland since the 1990s until recently and I was shocked at how great the city of Cleveland looks now and am excited for its continued resurgence.

To your last statement, the Cleveland bashers will have to find somewhere else to bag on. Or come up with new material, because the jokes about the river catching on fire are played out! Now make no mistake, there is still work to be done, and the city itself is nowhere near perfect (the region as a whole has some of the best suburbs hands down) and weather can really suck (especially in the winter), but with all of development, it makes me proud to call northeast Ohio my home. Not to mention we have a huge advantage over the rest of the country, of which many areas are suffering drought.... we sit next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, and we ain't sharing it!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ETA: I am excited about Detroit too for the person who mentioned Detroit. There are many positives going on in the Detroit area and I am hopeful that they will continue to improve. Detroit is also a great city IMO and is not as crappy as the media makes it out to be. Lots of great people in both Cleveland and Detroit doing great things. But Cleveland is MILES above Detroit in regards to its financial condition and continuing improvements in the city proper.
It has always seemed to me that the people of the large Great Lakes cities have always supported the people of the other large Great Lake cities.

I'm from Cleveland (born on the shores of Lake Erie at Euclid Hospital) and I agree. Detroit is a great city, they have just had some real lousy politicians running it.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,567,272 times
Default How to watch Fox debate online??

Guys any suggestions

Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,010,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It has always seemed to me that the people of the large Great Lakes cities have always supported the people of the other large Great Lake cities.

I'm from Cleveland (born on the shores of Lake Erie at Euclid Hospital) and I agree. Detroit is a great city, they have just had some real lousy politicians running it.

You could make that case for Cleveland as well. But in spite of that, the city is starting to thrive, and I hope that momentum continues.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:04 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
What? No one is asking about Planned Parenthood? Surely the moderators will. My question would be what to do about the runaway costs of higher education and the student loan burden that is dragging down our economic recovery.

The answer I am looking for: The ever-increasing limits in the federal loan program are the root of the problem as they enable schools to raise their tuition and fees and state government to pass their long-held responsibility for higher education to the feds and, via the loan programs, to the students. The bankers are the only ones benefiting. It needs to stop.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,102,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'll buy because Ohio is a swing state but why not one of the two events in Cincinnati?

I've been to Ohio (last time in 2012), just not Cleveland.
Cincinnati has no strip clubs. Who'd want to hold a major convention there?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,668,981 times
You won't be able to unless you're a cable subscriber. Fox has it locked down pretty tight.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,520,826 times
Do you view the US as being the World Police?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,849,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You could make that case for Cleveland as well. But in spite of that, the city is starting to thrive, and I hope that momentum continues.
I think Cleveland has one of the biggest momentums going for it in all of Ohio. I've been there quite a few times since moving back to Ohio last summer. What is going on in Cleveland is impressive economically and for the OP, the fact that the GOP got support in Cleveland from a more diverse populace in regards to our recent gubernatorial campaign is something that can be highlighted at the convention. The black business community especially has come out in support of our GOP governor there.

We've had a lot of economic gains here in Toledo too, but not like Cleveland and its active redevelopment and re-branding of the city as a true gem on the Great Lakes is something to be celebrated and highlighted IMO.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Can I punch you in the face after your first lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.