Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:58 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,619,464 times

Advertisements

I am not a big fan of the place.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,617,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, it is because Ohio is a swing state and Cleveland is a Democrat stonghold city. Without Ohio, there is no way for the GOP to win in 2016.
If it's a Democrat stronghold, shouldn't the city be like garden of Eden or something? You know, all the glories: everybody gets free welfare, nobody needs to work and the economy is booming etc. etc.?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:41 AM

698 posts, read 590,090 times
Include them all at the beginning of the first debate, use the available technology to instantly poll the reaction of the viewing audience and eliminate the participant with the lowest score every 10-15 minutes. The last 10 minutes of each debate will feature a one-to-one contest Thunderdome style. The first two candidates eliminated from each debate are ineligible to participate in any future debates. Like a political version of a reality tv elimination show.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,621,026 times
Question Conservative Group calls for Fiorina to be included in FOX GOP Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post

CBC Members Call For Carly Fiorina To Be In The Debate
What for?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 AM

10,069 posts, read 15,749,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Thanks.......I'm surprised she isn't polling in the top 10 then.
Same here. I'm very impressed with her.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM

39,130 posts, read 51,401,867 times
Trump and Bush are the only ones that matter at this point. Let those two go at it alone.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,857,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Why doesn't the GOP do what every other organization does when a woman can't meet their criteria and lower the bar for her? Just lower the standards until women can meet them and then we can achieve "equality."
Been there, done that...

http://newsjunkiepost.com/wp-content.../palineyes.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-06-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, it is because Ohio is a swing state and Cleveland is a Democrat stonghold city. Without Ohio, there is no way for the GOP to win in 2016.
This

Cleveland is a great city OP.

You stated you have been to Ohio but not Cleveland so IMO, you just aren't very knowledgeable about what Cleveland has to offer. Ohio in general is a great state. We have a lot of large metropolitan areas and Ohio, including Cleveland is a huge "purple" state and the GOP has never won the presidential election without winning Ohio.

There is also more political diversity in Ohio and in Cleveland in general. People in the thread mentioned the Jewish community there and strong Midwestern conservatism in Ohio in general, but Midwesterners IMO (and I am admittedly biased due to being an Ohioan) are known for not sticking as much to political parties as other states/regions and there has been a lot of disatissfaction here with Democrats that the GOP can work to their advantage in Cleveland.

For example, I am a black Ohioan and Cleveland has a large black population and about 28% of the black population in Cleveland supported and voted for our current Republican governor - John Kasich, who is also running for the presidency. A former mayor of Cleveland - George Voinovich, a Republican, was well liked there as well and IMO was one of the few conservatives who were about the business of government and fiscal responsibility after Obama's election versus the new era of extremely far right conservatives.

I think that the GOP wants their convention to be more diverse. They are more likely to show their diversity in Cleveland IMO than in Cinncinnati which is more "southern" than Midwestern IMO due to its proximity to Kentucky. Cleveland is a true Midwestern city. And as stated even political diversity amongst conservatives, liberals, and moderates in that area vary and getting out a positive message from Cleveland is a good thing for the GOP.

OP, you should visit the city. I am from NW OH, Toledo area and I hadn't visited Cleveland since the 1990s until recently and I was shocked at how great the city of Cleveland looks now and am excited for its continued resurgence.

ETA: I am excited about Detroit too for the person who mentioned Detroit. There are many positives going on in the Detroit area and I am hopeful that they will continue to improve. Detroit is also a great city IMO and is not as crappy as the media makes it out to be. Lots of great people in both Cleveland and Detroit doing great things. But Cleveland is MILES above Detroit in regards to its financial condition and continuing improvements in the city proper.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,345,653 times
Default Why would the GOP restrict who can watch their debate?

Republican Debate: How to Watch Live Online

I'm really stumped on this. Don't they want to attract potential voters outside of their current demographic?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
You misunderstood the point. This isn't about attracting potential voters or spreading the GOP message. Fox News is hosting an event so they can profit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies