Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 PM

53,242 posts, read 34,992,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Interesting phrasing. It may enough sense to the grand jury that they indicted him with murder to which Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deter stated: “This is, without question, a murder. He didn’t do anything violent to the officer. He wasn’t ‘dragging’ him. [Tensing] intentionally pulled out his gun and shot him in the head.”
they must have had more to go by than the shaky video. i have no problem with the indictment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,358,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
they must have had more to go by than the shaky video. i have no problem with the indictment.
What they have is a statement by the officer that he fired because his arm was caught in the cars window and he was being dragged down the street!

The problem is, at least to me, is that when he went to pull the victim out of the car. The prosecution seems to be of the position that while trying to do whatever it was he was doing, he pulled his weapon, pointed at the drivers head and pulled the trigger. The only possible excuse is that he thought the driver was reaching for a weapon. Unfortunately for the officer he wasn't worried when the driver reached into the glove compartment, he wasn't worried when the driver reached under the seat to retrieve a liquor bottle, and he wasn't worried when the driver again reached upon his seat to pretend to look for his drivers license. From what I can see, the officer only pulled his weapon when the driver restarted his car and looked like he was going to make a run for it.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,151,823 times
As it appears on the surface, it does seem the officer had no reason to use any force, much less deadly force. My heart does go out to the family. But again, I have always maintained a person is innocent until proven guilty. Regardless of the outcome, it almost appears the OP thinks this proves some point: to me all it might prove is: not all cops are good cops.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,658,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you mean that cops are being charged with murder for defending themselves and protecting the public anytime a black life is involved, then yes, it is just sad.
He shot the man in the face for not taking his seat belt off,He even lied on the police report.

How are you defending this, did you not watch the video ???

Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,658,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As it appears on the surface, it does seem the officer had no reason to use any force, much less deadly force. My heart does go out to the family. But again, I have always maintained a person is innocent until proven guilty. Regardless of the outcome, it almost appears the OP thinks this proves some point: to me all it might prove is: not all cops are good cops.
I think the bold was his point as many on this forum would assume being harmed in any way by a cop is always excused.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,720,143 times
Glad to see he has been charged.

-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sad, but until cops can be shown to actually be honest - their word should mean nothing.
Would that apply to everyone?

If we found lots of incidents of black teens committing crimes and/or being dishonest, should be say the word of a black teen means nothing?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,207,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Glad to see he has been charged.

-----------------

Would that apply to everyone?

If we found lots of incidents of black teens committing crimes and/or being dishonest, should be say the word of a black teen means nothing?
Black teens are not automatically given the presumption of "being honest" in a court of law - cops are.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,720,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Black teens are not automatically given the presumption of "being honest" in a court of law - cops are.
In general, should we assume all black teens lie due to the massive amount of video footage of black teens committing crimes?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,029,604 times
Myself and some fellow employees watched this video. Based on what we saw, it looks like the cop is in deep s***! There are times that I side with the cops, and other times I do not. So far this appears to be one instance where I don't. I don't see anything in this video that would require the use of deadly force.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:45 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,708,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's hard to make much sense of that video.

University cop indicted in traffic stop shooting - CNN.com
It was a lot of talking, and then sudden movements with the cop running and all we see is sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.... stopped car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies