Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 10:28 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,275,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yep. It's very fashionable to say that mixed race people are more attractive. But what's that even based on? It seems like a mantra that gets repeated and persists because it can't really be contested (if you're white) without running afoul of political correctness. But think about what it says to monoracial people of all races. For biracial people to be more attractive, it would necessarily mean that monoracial people are less so. Ironically, it runs afoul of political correctness when it insinuates that nonwhite monoracial people are less attractive than they would be if they were of partial European descent.

I think the media encourages the use of this mantra because its agenda includes increasing the frequency of interracial marriage.
Oh I agree, with everything you said.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:29 AM

47 posts, read 34,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Yep. I think a lot of white people are ignorant to the fact that black people range in looks-no we do not all have the same hair, tone, or features. There are blacks that look completely European but they are completely black-this is why it is difficult to lump us all together or to point out that we only look European when we have one white parent, when in actuality there are many of us with black parents that often look more European than biracial people. The light Creoles in Louisiana are a great example. But a lot of people really do think we are only a few shades of brown with coarse curly hair. Smh.

I don't care either way if a biracial person chooses to call themselves black though and I can see why many of them do, but I'm kind of over the silly idea that's been touted in this country that being mixed means you look better or different from children with two black parents, when this is not necessarily true.

I don't think all white parents with biracial children think this but some do really believe that there children look better or look very different from black children and it sort of perpetuates this,"they are part white so they are better than them" type of attitude. I've seen many biracial people that were not the exotic beauties people portray them as. The colorism, looking different from "stereotypical" looking black features, and being able to say you aren't fully black are often lauded in this country and that contributes to perception of how people look at blacks and the way we define black beauty in this country but that's another discussion altogether.

My main point however is that there is much diversity in the black race.
What you wrote is actually not true nor does it have a scientific nor biological basis.

The idea of race is nonsense especially the idea of a "black" race who supposedly come in all colors and all looks.

It's contradictory to say that "white" people don't understand that "black" people can look "white" or "black"

It pretends that the idea of "black" is based on something tangible which is false

Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Yep. It's very fashionable to say that mixed race people are more attractive. But what's that even based on? It seems like a mantra that gets repeated and persists because it can't really be contested (if you're white) without running afoul of political correctness. But think about what it says to monoracial people of all races. For biracial people to be more attractive, it would necessarily mean that monoracial people are less so. Ironically, it runs afoul of political correctness when it insinuates that nonwhite monoracial people are less attractive than they would be if they were of partial European descent.

I think the media encourages the use of this mantra because its agenda includes increasing the frequency of interracial marriage.
"Interracial marriage" is perfectly fine. Not sure why it's increase is an issue with anybody

Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedinho View Post
What you wrote is actually not true nor does it have a scientific nor biological basis.

The idea of race is nonsense especially the idea of a "black" race who supposedly come in all colors and all looks.

It's contradictory to say that "white" people don't understand that "black" people can look "white" or "black"

It pretends that the idea of "black" is based on something tangible which is false
I said that there are white people that are ignorant to the fact that there are blacks that have very light skin and look more European(features) but that have two black parents. You believe this is false? Why else on threads when people post pictures of Beyoncé the response from a lot of white city-daters are that she isn't completely black, despite her having two black parents or how another poster said that her children look different from blacks, as if blacks don't vary in skin tone range, features? And if you don't believe that the latter is true then you are ignorant too. Blacks do vary in skin tone, features, hair, etc.

I know I know you don't believe in race, so "black" and "white" does not exist.

meanwhile in the real world where race is a construct that we use as identification, people are referred to as "whites", "blacks" etc. this may bother you, but I really don't know what to tell you. You pretend that we do not classify one another based on race when we do...

Also for the record I never said that a black person can look white. I said that there are some blacks that do look more European than their biracial counterparts. That's an important distinction--I never said that blacks can look exactly like a "white" person. Only that there are blacks with super light skin and European features that have two black parents. This defies this idea that blacks are only shades of brown with certain features and coarse kinky hair-this is not true, some of us have those features, others do not.

Now you can disagree with me but I don't care. Lol.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,443,101 times
Quote:
"Interracial marriage" is perfectly fine. Not sure why it's increase is an issue with anybody
Well, if you like racial diversity, it will tend to decrease that over time as populations mix and become more homogenized.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I said that there are white people that are ignorant to the fact that there are blacks that have very light skin and look more European(features) but that have two black parents. You believe this is false? Why else on threads when people post pictures of Beyoncé the response from a lot of white city-daters are that she isn't completely black, despite her having two black parents or how another poster said that her children look different from blacks, as if blacks don't vary in skin tone range, features? And if you don't believe that the latter is true then you are ignorant too. Blacks do vary in skin tone, features, hair, etc.

I know I know you don't believe in race, so "black" and "white" does not exist.

meanwhile in the real world where race is a construct that we use as identification, people are referred to as "whites", "blacks" etc. this may bother you, but I really don't know what to tell you. You pretend that we do not classify one another based on race when we do...

Also for the record I never said that a black person can look white. I said that there are some blacks that do look more European than their biracial counterparts. That's an important distinction--I never said that blacks can look exactly like a "white" person. Only that there are blacks with super light skin and European features that have two black parents. This defies this idea that blacks are only shades of brown with certain features and coarse kinky hair-this is not true, some of us have those features, others do not.

Now you can disagree with me but I don't care. Lol.

Do you have any scientific or biological proof that Beyonce's parents are "completely black"? It is a social classification so you can't say somebody is completely anything

if you are talking of the social definition of race then those "black" people don't look like west or Central African populations at all. You can't even classify them together as the same race based on looks because they look very different. Just because they are called or call themselves "black" doesn't mean they look like people in African countries and probably resemble Europeans more

Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Well, if you like racial diversity, it will tend to decrease that over time as populations mix and become more homogenized.
That's fine too. I don't see what the problem is.

I have never understood why anybody would have any problem whatsoever with "interracial dating". It's perfectly normal just like "intra racial" dating so I don't get the issue some people have with it

Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Do you have any scientific or biological proof that Beyonce's parents are "completely black"? It is a social classification so you can't say somebody is completely anything

if you are talking of the social definition of race then those "black" people don't look like west or Central African populations at all. You can't even classify them together as the same race based on looks because they look very different. Just because they are called or call themselves "black" doesn't mean they look like people in African countries and probably resemble Europeans more
Beyoncé mother is creole and her father is black. I don't know for sure what their linage is other than that. However I am light skinned and both my parents are black-and I've frequently been asked if I'm mixed and I am not. So my point is that black people range in how we look.

I've only been talking about black Americans btw not Africans. Many Africans refer to themselves as Africans, instead of us calling themselves black.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,443,101 times
Quote:
That's fine too. I don't see what the problem is.

I have never understood why anybody would have any problem whatsoever with "interracial dating". It's perfectly normal just like "intra racial" dating so I don't get the issue some people have with it
Are you saying you think it's fine for racial diversity to decrease as populations become more homogenized? A lot of people would say otherwise. I think human diversity is intrinsically valuable. I don't want any races to disappear, and that certainly includes my own race (the white race). There's nothing wrong with preferring your own people. I think every race tends to prefer their own people to one extent or another.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can relate to the guy who wrong that letter. I'm a late 20's Black male, and a large amount of women I've had crushes on have been non-Black women. And it doesn't stop there. There have been Black women of immigrant parents(Africa, the West Indies) who said that their parents don't want them to date African-American men. There are times when I find myself say "Man, we're despised by everyone, even foreign-born Blacks". Now, there are no absolutes. However, there are times when I find myself wondering how I fit into society as an American Black man.
Actually, there's a similar phenomenon among European whites (some, not all by any means). Actual Europeans (white ones), especially if they are 100% of any one ethnicity, will look down on American whites of Euro ancestry. They don't like the fact we're usually a mix of several European ancestries. To take it even further, these same people usually don't like it when American whites tell a person they're a mix of (insert any euro ethnicity here) and (insert any other euro ethnicity here) etc etc.

They think we should only refer to ourselves as American. I'm not sure they have the right to deny any one of us the right to lay claim to wherever our ancestries stem from. It's not like we're claiming to be "actual Europeans" lol. I would never do such thing.

I've had this debate a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies