Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 04:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
That's interesting. I think this might happen to a lot of brown people though. I'm full black but I've been asked if I'm half Asian often. Growing up my cousins used to make fun of me and said I looked like a blasian kid. I'm not even blasian, and yet I've had people ask me what I am. My sisters are both black Americans but people always ask them both if they are from Nigeria or kenya because they look "African" smh.

I'm not discounting your daughters stories or what you've said but only pointing out that while a lot of people can tell that someone is biracial, others cannot and if the biracial person looks black they might assume that she is black, even if she is not. I can tell when girls are biracial a lot of times but many times I've assumed some girls were black or a completely different ethnicity only to discover later on that they are biracial. It's a toss up, and this isn't only true for biracial girls but for black girls too. Some black girls look more biracial than the picture of your daughter you posted. Some are super super light with straight hair that waves up nicely when wet. Others are high yellow with light brown hair and hazel eyes. My friend has a black daughter that is high yellow with blue eyes and light brown kinky hair.

Growing up I used to think I could distinguish biracial children from black children but believe it or not as the biracial population has increased I'm noticing that there are many that look just like black children. Obama, J cole, etc. I'm not discounting that your girls are biracial because they are but what I'm saying is that just because they are biracial does not necessarily mean that they look "mixed"--some do, some do not, some look closer to white, some look like a completely different race... Your kids look like light skinned black based on those pics but they are biracial and that is fine. They are beautiful kids.
Thanks for the kid compliments -I think they're pretty darn good looking!

I guess what I should say is that apparently, from what I've observed and from what they've told me, people either assume they are biracial or figure it out very quickly. Maybe they "look" it in real life, maybe it's something in their speech patterns or the way they dress or something very subtle, who knows? But then of course, as people might be quick to point out, you can't tell by speech patterns or dress either - so maybe it's just some subtle combination of "hints" that make it very easy for people to assume correctly that they're biracial.

Of course that doesn't really even matter - I'm just responding to the comments by you and others that "full AA" people with two "black parents" often have the same complexion as my kids. I think it's safe to assume that if they do, there is some racial mixing in the DNA most likely - but I wouldn't presume to know that for certain.

At the end of the day, the real issue to me is not whether or not people assume my kids are biracial, but that MY KIDS do not deny or reject any part of their biracial heritage - which they don't. Do they "relate" more to one half of their DNA than the other? Perhaps - but that's THEIR choice if they do that, which differs significantly from other people forcing some sort of racial identity on them based on the color of their skin and the other person's idea of "who they should act like."

Actually for what it's worth, I think Obama looks biracial, but hey, that's just me.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
They have a lot of blacks so light and white looking that these blacks could pass for white.

My mom went to college in Louisiana and the colorism was rampant. There were was this guy that liked her but she was too brown for his family--it was important that they remain super light so they only married super light Creoles like themselves. In other words you would be surprised at the number of blacks that have two black parents that look more biracial and/or white than an actual biracial person.

Blacks are truly diverse-people constantly try to lump us altogether when physically we are probably one of the most diverse looking race in this country. Our hair is not all the same, our skin tones differ, our eye tones differ, our features differ.

It is not a negative thing for a biracial person to look black because blacks are extremely diverse looking. Even in my family, cousins and all, we are all different looking and range in hair, tone, etc.
If a person of mixed racial ancestry doesn't want to be automatically designated as "one or the other," why should they be? Maybe they reject the "black" or "white" only label. Shouldn't that be their choice? Should society impose some sort of "one drop rule" to them?

Old 08-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Quote:
Translation: Your kids are "different" because your contribution of European ancestry to their DNA makes them culturally "better" than those with two black parents.
REALITY - You are putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
You posted about your kids being insulted/upset/annoyed that they were referred to by people who don't know them as "black" or "colored" or "African American".
No. My kids are generally BEMUSED by that - they only become insulted/upset/annoyed when people try to force them into "one or the other" group. In other words, like me, the "one drop rule" is offensive to them, because they don't feel as if they should have to choose one racial designation or the other simply because someone else wants them to do so for whatever reason.

Quote:
And on another note, you can poo-poo all you want about the issues of the "one drop rule" and "passing" because you are an outsider looking in. These issues are a significant part of the African American experience regardless of how silly or antiquated. It is a part of OUR history. It affected OUR families. It impacted OUR culture. It is a part of OUR heritage.
Right. The mother of four biracial kids wouldn't possibly know anything about the "one drop rule" or "passing." Black people are the only people who can possibly know anything about this and are the ONLY ONES ALLOWED TO DISCUSS IT. Errr, not.

Quote:
Again, having relations with or making babies with a black man does NOT make you an expert on African American history or culture.
Never said I was any sort of expert on AA history or culture. I do, however, have more insight into AA culture than many white people do, because I didn't just "have relations with" or "make babies with" an AA man - I married him, was married to him for over a decade, loved him, and his family, lived with them and around them in their neighborhood, worked with them, ate with them, discussed all sorts of issues and experiences with them, and they became MY family. MY mother in law. MY father in law. MY sisters in law.

I know what I know and lived what I lived. THAT, my dear, is what I am an expert on - my life, many years of which were spent living in the AA community with my family.

You are not the expert on that. I am. It's my story, not yours. I am fully qualified to discuss it in as much detail as I like, whether you like it or not.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So very true. Part of my family is E Tx/Louisiana Creole (I grew up in a neighborhood with mostly Creoles) and the color codes are mind boggling. And yes, many Creoles have light skin/hair texture/European features that has been maintained by only marrying and having children with other light skin/loose curl or straight hair texture Euro featured Creoles. Even though their European ancestry is 4 or 5 generations (or more) removed.

Another interesting thing is that based on the pics that were posted her children would be considered "too dark" by MANY Creoles despite the fact that they are biracial.
And it wouldn't matter to them, because I raised them not to waste emotional energy on people who would judge them by the color of their skin rather than by the content of their character. That's a lesson they all thankfully took to heart.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I said that there are white people that are ignorant to the fact that there are blacks that have very light skin and look more European(features) but that have two black parents. You believe this is false? Why else on threads when people post pictures of Beyoncé the response from a lot of white city-daters are that she isn't completely black, despite her having two black parents or how another poster said that her children look different from blacks, as if blacks don't vary in skin tone range, features? And if you don't believe that the latter is true then you are ignorant too. Blacks do vary in skin tone, features, hair, etc.

I know I know you don't believe in race, so "black" and "white" does not exist.

meanwhile in the real world where race is a construct that we use as identification, people are referred to as "whites", "blacks" etc. this may bother you, but I really don't know what to tell you. You pretend that we do not classify one another based on race when we do...

Also for the record I never said that a black person can look white. I said that there are some blacks that do look more European than their biracial counterparts. That's an important distinction--I never said that blacks can look exactly like a "white" person. Only that there are blacks with super light skin and European features that have two black parents. This defies this idea that blacks are only shades of brown with certain features and coarse kinky hair-this is not true, some of us have those features, others do not.

Now you can disagree with me but I don't care. Lol.
Actually, you did say this:

Quote:
There are blacks that look completely European but they are completely black
What is this "completely black" stuff anyway? Do you mean that if a person's parents consider themselves "black" (regardless of their ancestry) that's what they are? For instance, if my daughter self identified as "black," and married a black man, and they had kids, would you consider their kids to be "completely black?"

My husband looks like a Nordic Viking - straight blonde hair, blue eyes, and very white skin. We had our DNA tested because he doesn't know that much about his family more than about three generations back, only that they are from Louisiana. Come to find out - this man who could have been Hitler's Aryan ideal is actually about 3 percent western African and 2 percent Native American and 2 percent Ashkanazi Jew.

Is he "black?" Could he "be black" if he chose that identity? LOL he's blacker than me, ironically - my test showed that I am 98 percent Northern European and 2 percent generalized European. I'm the whitest person I know! That was surprising but it put to rest all the family lore about Indian princesses and that sort of thing.

Anyway, from an interesting article by PBS:

Quote:
To be considered black in the United States not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black.
Quote:
Most Americans seem unaware that this definition of blacks is extremely unusual in other countries, perhaps even unique to the United States, and that Americans define no other minority group in a similar way.
Mixed Race America - Who Is Black? One Nation's Definition | Jefferson's Blood | FRONTLINE | PBS

From another article:
Quote:
Exactly How "Black" Are Black Americans?

* According to Ancestry.com, the average African American is 65 percent sub-Saharan African, 29 percent European and 2 percent Native American.

* According to 23andme.com, the average African American is 75 percent sub-Saharan African, 22 percent European and only 0.6 percent Native American.

* According to Family Tree DNA.com, the average African American is 72.95 percent sub-Saharan African, 22.83 percent European and 1.7 percent Native American.
How Mixed Are African Americans? - The Root

So, most of these African Americans that you describe as "full black" are actually quite racially mixed. So it really just depends, I guess, on how much they know about their ancestry and what particular ethnic group they identify with.

Never unnecessarily limit your options - that's one of my life mottoes. People should feel free to embrace any or all facets of their own history, ethnicity, family background, traditions, etc. Of course that doesn't stop OTHER people from categorizing them as they see fit, but they shouldn't feel forced to choose "one or the other" when it's just unnecessary - unless they want to, and then it's THEIR choice, freely made.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm full black and I am the same complexion as your daughter... I can't tell she is biracial from that pic honestly but she is beautiful.
What do you know about your family's ancestry?

You really should shell out $99 and get a DNA test done, and then come back here and tell us what you find out - don't you think that would be interesting?

My husband, who looks totally, totally Scandinavian or northern European, found out he's got all SORTS of folks in his DNA - it was very surprising but interesting. On the other hand, my DNA test was not nearly as exciting to me at first (basically all northern European), till I began to realize that EVERYONE' DNA is exciting and thought provoking - who they are, where they came from, what cultures impact them subconsciously, etc. Now I think I may know why English and Scottish history is so interesting to me, why I am so drawn to that whole culture. Fun to think about anyway.

I did already know that my family history included a lot of sailors and English naval officers - and probably a few privateers and maybe even a pirate or two, so it was interesting to find out that my DNA is basically from countries that surround the North Sea. And I have always loved the ocean and sailing and the history of armadas and sea exploration - wonder if that interest is in part genetic?

I really encourage anyone and everyone to have a DNA test - you may really be surprised at what you uncover about your own genes and your family history.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:37 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks for the kid compliments -I think they're pretty darn good looking!
Yes, they are and your grandkids too. But I really think you shouldn't post their pics (I don't know, I guess it's just me).

Quote:
Actually for what it's worth, I think Obama looks biracial, but hey, that's just me.
Really? I don't think he does. It's funny how we all see things differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingAtU2 View Post
All these stupid women who buy the media's crap that mixing with blacks automatically makes beautiful babies are fools. I never understood why the media focuses so much on mixing with blacks as if that is the only one going on. In the USA the most common marriage with whites are Mexican Americans of both genders at 4x the rate of both Asians and blacks. I never see commercials involving white/Asian or Hispanic couples. It is always freaking black men with white women. Can someone honestly explain this to me. There is some propaganda going on by both the media and advertising companies.
What is your problem? Where do you get that crap from? As long as you don't bed with any black person, then stop worrying about other people and who they bed with and how their children come out. Geeze!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
Quote:
Here's my daughter. I think it's pretty clear that she's biracial - unless of course you apply the old school, racist "one drop rule."

And here's my son - once again, pretty obvious he's biracial. Of course, to some people, all they can see is "one drop and they're automatically black" - whatever that means.

These people are biracial - and love being biracial. It really doesn't matter to them - or to me - what category some weirdos try to shove them into. They have a firm grasp on their own identity.

Yeah I know - they're good looking kids. I wish I could take all the credit but I can only take half.
Your kids look like they have two black parents. I'd never assume they are biracial.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:03 PM

387 posts, read 356,430 times
Yea because we know it's only White Men who get mad (and this rarely happens) when White Women date outside the White race...

Hispanics, Asians, Blacks, Arabs etc never get mad when their Women date someone from a different race.....It's retarded, but happens all over...

Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM

387 posts, read 356,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can relate to the guy who wrong that letter. I'm a late 20's Black male, and a large amount of women I've had crushes on have been non-Black women. And it doesn't stop there. There have been Black women of immigrant parents(Africa, the West Indies) who said that their parents don't want them to date African-American men. There are times when I find myself say "Man, we're despised by everyone, even foreign-born Blacks". Now, there are no absolutes. However, there are times when I find myself wondering how I fit into society as an American Black man.

It's unfair, but African Americans are certainly not the only ones with negative stereotypes associated with them....In many states on the West Coast Hispanics also have negative stereotypes associated with them (Violent, Crime Causing etc)......

Implicit bias/stereotypes for Blacks exist strongly on the East Coast and South....out West I would say they take 2nd place to Hispanics....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies