Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:07 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

So why are you not living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:09 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Let's make broad brush comparisons of hundreds of thousands of police officers in two different countries by comparing two videos. What could possibly go wrong.
I would never argue that this is a definitive study for comparative purposes, just as I wouldn't argue that how police interact within the same department as being conclusive evidence of organizational cultural differences, in and of themselves. But there is significant evidence outside of the two videos outside of these two videos that would in fact demonstrate difference in organizational culture.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:10 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Also to allow rape of underage children, because to stop it would be so wrong.

Rotherham investigation expanded after 42 police named in abuse allegations | UK news | The Guardian
Deflect! Deflect!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I would never argue that this is a definitive study for comparative purposes, just as I wouldn't argue that how police interact within the same department as being conclusive evidence of organizational cultural differences, in and of themselves. But there is significant evidence outside of the two videos outside of these two videos that would in fact demonstrate difference in organizational culture.
Please explain this non anecdotal significant other evidence that shows across the board systemic abuse.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:46 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Let's make broad brush comparisons of hundreds of thousands of police officers in two different countries by comparing two videos. What could possibly go wrong.

It's the OP's monkey.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Many of you have seen the shooting of the young knife wielding girl in Texas. Now watch how the British police handle similar situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGIS...ctr=1438976188

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXHorIrLFIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5CPx4RKWw
30 cops to take down one guy...... cops are macing themselves..... hiding behind trash cans..... running away.... what a bunch of wussies, that lot! LOL

But I get your point

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-07-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Extremely inefficient use of resources. A 25 cent, 128 grain jacketed hollow point would have stopped either armed assailant.
I think the point is that neither assailant died, and that it's possible to resolve these issues without turning to lethal force.

I believe what the OP is implying is that Americans turn to the gun far too easily, which is a point I would somewhat agree with.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:59 PM

In America, there's more of an "us vs. them" mentality between cops and citizens. They seem to have forgotten here, that they are peace officers, charged with serving the public, not lording over them.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,416,130 times
In Britain firearms are regarded as somewhat obscene, and people don't want to see them on a daily basis, so there's a strong reluctance to give police firearms unless they have to deal with extremely dangerous situations. Times when police have been armed and have killed innocent people are very well remembered and brought out as reasons not to give guns to the police. Americans are widely regarded as close to insane, by going around armed and regularly killing each other, police officers trying to do their jobs, and conversely accepting that police officers will be so frightened of people they encounter that they'll shoot unarmed people--as I said, that's happened in Britain too, and it's in people's minds.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Please explain this non anecdotal significant other evidence that shows across the board systemic abuse.
Would you care to point to my statement regarding across the board and systematic abuse? What I am pointing to is an across the board difference in approach one of which can lead to abuse and one that doesn't. If you don't think that there is a necessary difference in approach to armed suspects when you are yourself are unarmed as opposed to when you are, then I think that you are missing more than the point of the two videos.

In the video of the girl being shot in the police station, I am not making a claim that police used excessive force much less unlawfully. But there is a difference in the culture of American police policy with over reliance on force multiplication verses how one has to respond when force multiplication isn't possible. And I think the the contrast between the videos and others that I can produce illustrates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies