Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think the point is that neither assailant died, and that it's possible to resolve these issues without turning to lethal force.

I believe what the OP is implying is that Americans turn to the gun far too easily, which is a point I would somewhat agree with.

Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Extremely inefficient use of resources. A 25 cent, 128 grain jacketed hollow point would have stopped either armed assailant.
Not only efficient but lawful as well. That being the case, thinking is out weighted by instinct and reflective training.

An excellant article on the difference between the British approach what can be gleaned and a what would not be applicable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3ee_story.html

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 08-07-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
How did the knife attack on the British soldier work out...
Who responded.... ARMED British police.. that's who

Old 08-07-2015, 10:20 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
How did the knife attack on the British soldier work out...
Who responded.... ARMED British police.. that's who
You should check out the link in the post above yours, it's good stuff. Armed British police constitute a very small minority, and so the force can pick the best candidates and train each of them to an extreme level.

As for the rest, they're trained to use smarts. It works for Britain.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Am I the only person on thses boards that are getting a little tired of some of the same posters posting about how much been other countries handle things, or post about everything that is wront with AMerica and yet, they still continue to live here. I have to wonder why?
It's called "aspiring to be better". Stop doing that and you've admitted failure or at least decided you're "good enough". I have yet to meet an American content with that descriptor, but perhaps you're the first.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:36 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Also to allow rape of underage children, because to stop it would be so wrong.

Rotherham investigation expanded after 42 police named in abuse allegations | UK news | The Guardian
This (and it wasn't the first nor will be the last one) is proof of the decadence and rot that is bone deep in the UK.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You should check out the link in the post above yours, it's good stuff. Armed British police constitute a very small minority, and so the force can pick the best candidates and train each of them to an extreme level.

As for the rest, they're trained to use smarts. It works for Britain.
I assume you'll be the first to turn your gun in ... you know...so we can then police unarmed societies like England?

Your characterization of "extreme level" of training is what any policeman in a major US city receives.. huge difference is.. US police use their firearms with greater frequency because of immensely greater need

Point at societies where unarmed police are utilized and you have generally unarmed populations

Old 08-08-2015, 03:13 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I assume you'll be the first to turn your gun in ... you know...so we can then police unarmed societies like England?
Why would I want a firearm? I'm not a hunter, I dropped target shooting decades ago, and I consider them a colossal pain in the rear.

Quote:
Your characterization of "extreme level" of training is what any policeman in a major US city receives..
Didn't click the link, did you?

Quote:
US police use their firearms with greater frequency because of immensely greater need

Point at societies where unarmed police are utilized and you have generally unarmed populations
So it's the prevalence of guns in the US that puts US citizens at their much higher risk of dying at the hands of law enforcement? Not disagreeing - I do, in fact, think you're dead on - but it's rare to hear it from the pro-gun side.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Many of you have seen the shooting of the young knife wielding girl in Texas. Now watch how the British police handle similar situations.

...videos clipped for space...
The actual difference here is that 5x as many officers responded in the UK video as in the US video (and nearly all of those officers responded after the incident, not during). US citizens would not tolerate a 5x increase in government spending, even (especially?) for public safety. (And on top of that, London police make over $70k/year, 5 weeks vacation, a 37 hr work week, full health benefits, and a 100% pension, so even a 5x increase is underestimating.)
And yes, that is even taking settlements into account, despite the fact that UK police departments have near complete immunity from civil suits. Even the most sued department in the US, Chicago PD, has averaged less than $3,900 per officer per year over the last decade. And most of that money came from the Jon Burge settlements

Last edited by marigolds6; 08-08-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 05:52 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Every situation is different, so you can't say what should be done in advance. Just remember that the people you seen in the videos in the UK, are people that don't want to hurt officers, or are not really trying very hard to hurt the officers.

Here's what happens when someone with a knife wants to kill police officers. Several officer injured, and at least one officer died. Watch how fast the first attack happens. The officer in the first attack instantly suffered a fatal injury.

The attack starts at 7:25 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RTkGbiJpk

Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
I had some time to look up the actual staffing numbers....
NYPD: 230 residents per officer
CPD: 222 residents per officer
LAPD: 395 residents per officer

City of London PD: 10.2 residents per officer
London Metro PS: 125.1 residents per officer

Or to think of these differently, if New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles were policed as heavily as London Metro, they would increased from 58687 officers combined to 119,937 officers combined. If they were policed like City of London, they would have 1,470,996 police officers (roughly 35% more than the rest of the country combined does right now, whereas right now they are about 6% of all officers in the country). New York along would increase from 36,600 officers to 824,000 officers to match London's relative force size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies