Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There is NO "diversion from the real problem" .... the "real problem" of toxic water has been around for years. They spent $6.5 Million in 2006 to try a "fix" it. They had been testing, attempting to come up with solutions for years. They have at least 3 dedicated groups of people in the area that work on just the Animas River issues and the upper creek areas like Cement Creek. The Red Tape is so onerous & the EPA so difficult to work with that it's next to impossible to do anything while they study-study-study and then blow it up with a Band-Aid solution done by EPA people and EPA contractors.

I'm not a Geologist or a Hydrologist - but I do understand how Pressurization works and quite a bit about basic Physics. I also understand the figures that the EPA is releasing. I also know how to track down what Geologists are saying AND said before this "plug" was installed. They said this would FAIL and so it did.

While excavating loose material in the mine, pressurized water burst out of a tunnel and into a creek that fed into the Animas River.

The toxic levels prior to last week when Gold King #7 blew -

The EPA said arsenic levels in the Durango, Colo., area of the river showed 300 times the normal level of arsenic and 3,500 times the normal level of lead.

The EPA Is Working With Several Federal Agencies to Clean Up Its Self-Created Disaster|Government Executive

300 times the normal level and 3500 times the normal level ..... means this blowout made thing significantly WORSE - at that's just 2 elements that they have released. There are others they have not released.

A big part of the EPA argument (and the Enviro Wackos) is the harm to Fish in the Animas - Interesting that despite all the concern about Fish BEFORE the Blow-out, everything looks fine for the Fish now - even with Toxicity increased by 300 & 3,500 times the normal level. Who is buying that?

I like Fish, I like Fishing, I like (even demand) clean water that is non-toxic for Fishing and Recreation -- BUT the main concern is that the Animas provides more than Recreation. It flows into the San Juan River and the Colorado River. It goes through 4 States and provides irrigation for crops, water for stock animals like cattle, provides water to Indian Reservations, feeds into wells for water tanks and homes and (in some cases) drinking water for towns.

This has a serious impact on PEOPLE. Instead of all this goofy Climate Justice - how about spending some real time on real solutions for Clean Water instead of Band-Aid solutions that are proven failures (see water buildup after the 2006 plug).

Everything "looked fine" LOL

There were several trout species that disappeared, no one in their right mind would have drinkg, swim of fish from that river.

You have it backwards, the local people fought the EPA over cost of the cleanup. The EPA made a bad situation worse but at least try to be reasonably fair.

They were getting close to a solution but too late now.

The Durango Herald 02/14/2015 | Is Silverton ready for a cleanup??

Quote:

Silverton resident John Poole said, “Many people,
including myself, think Superfund, frankly, is the best thing that could happen
to Silverton. It’s certain to open up jobs. In Leadville, Superfund certainly
didn’t hurt tourism.”

There’s still local animosity toward Superfund. In 2014,
at meetings of the Animas River Stakeholders Group (ARSG) and the San Juan
County Commission, residents such as Steve Fearn, co-coordinator of the ARSG,
warned a Superfund designation would hamper, if not ruin, Silverton’s

Sunnyside adamantly opposes a Superfund listing. The designation would give the EPA broad powers to force any parties it deems responsible for damage to pay for a cleanup.

economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn
We need to close down factories and mines that create these toxic chemical that are lethal in minute concentrations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This thread reminds me of something. The EPA is being blamed for the toxic chemicals that a corporation created because the EPA didn't clean them up fast enough.
No corporation "created toxic chemicals" - the Water exists in the Mountain, the Minerals exist in the Mountains. The mines are 1800's era and have been closed for almost 100 years for the most part. The water flows through the Minerals into the mined areas - it's not "created" and there are certainly no "factories" in these old abandoned Mining areas in Colorado. The media is using the term "Wastewater/Waste Water" - but that's not really what it is. It's not "created" by anything - it's exists in the Mountains. Think millennia of Melting Snows. Wastewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue that created this couldn't be done today, they didn't have the technology to remove water like they do now.

Instead they would create drainage tunnels or use a played out area for drainage. I don't know the particular situation here but there is other mines in the area. Those mines probably drain into this one, you can't just simply plug it up becsue it will come out somewhere else.
I've spent some time in that area - it's High, Rugged and unpopulated - Middle of a National Forest. Closed in winter with heavy snow. Incredibly beautiful. Closest town is Silverton with a population of around 200 people. 50 years ago you could rent a jeep and explore the dirt trials up to the closed mines - I don't know if you can do that today. This is an 1800's era mining area. I don't think people understand that anytime you dig into these mountains you hit water, even without any mining - there are many 1,000's of little Mountain streams everywhere. It's a volcanic area and loaded with all types of minerals. The San Juan National Forest is one of my favorite places to visit and it's extensive.

If anyone has never been in a Natural Cavern - take the opportunity to go sometime. You will be astounded at what water can naturally do to rock. Moving water is one of the most powerful forces in nature.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

They were getting close to a solution but too late now.

The Durango Herald 02/14/2015 | Is Silverton ready for a cleanup??

The reason any company would fight the superfund designation is because it practically gives the EPA a blank check allowing them to go after practically anyone. For example if you were paying someone to haul waste from your site to a dump all within the law if it gets superfund designation they can go after the dump, the hauler and you.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
The reason any company would fight the superfund designation is because it practically gives the EPA a blank check allowing them to go after practically anyone. For example if you were paying someone to haul waste from your site to a dump all within the law if it gets superfund designation they can go after the dump, the hauler and you.
Yep, they can go after anyone but somehow never seem to go after themselves who are the primary cause for most "violations" that they seek to punish.

Get rid of the Environmental Prosecution Agency.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:44 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This thread reminds me of something. The EPA is being blamed for the toxic chemicals that a corporation created because the EPA didn't clean them up fast enough. Remember when the right blamed Obama for GWB's mess because Obama didn't clean it up fast enough?
You have no clue what happened in this spill.

Sorry you really need to educate yourself before posting nonsense like this^

Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
It has long been observed that the US federal government is among the biggest polluters on the planet.

The U.S. government is the fourth biggest greenhouse gas polluter in the country | Grist

If I were US prez and truly believed that global warming was an existential threat, I would be issuing orders to turn off all the air conditioners in federal office buildings in DC, which result in spewing of greenhouse gases to power them. And turn down the heat in the winters.

What are the chances of Pres. Obama doing something like that? Zip, Zero, Nada.

Obama Cranks Up White House Thermostat: "You Could Grow Orchids In There"

Old 08-12-2015, 12:26 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
We all know what happens with oil spills. The media and politicians cant stop talking about it and playing politics. Notice something different here? The media isnt concerned. Politicians dont seem to care. All of a sudden they stopped caring about the environment? Something does not add up with all this. Hell, Obama or Gore havent come out and given a speech on it.

What the EPA did could have horrible effects for a long, long time. Yet suddenly, the usual folks dont seem to give one damn. That is so odd. Maybe its because they dont want to bash big government for failing, yet again.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Animas River lawsuit against EPA 'on the table,' Colorado AG says - The Denver Post

Old 08-12-2015, 01:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
A letter to the editor published in the Silverton Standard on July 30, 2015 is a very worthwhile read. It's titled, " EPA Plan is Really a Superfund Blitzkrieg". The writer, who is a geologists warns of what will happen once the EPA puts their plan in action. It turns out that he was right. He also talks about motives as he believes that the EPA knows that their plan will fail.
Yes, that letter to the editor about the EPA was published « » Local News

Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
If they were designated a superfund site and a company met one of the 4 criteria they could be targeted, but that was not one of the reasons the local community resisted the superfund designation. They would also have to foot part of the bill for maintaining the sewage treatment plant and some other costs.

Designation of a superfund site does bring resources but at a cost, this is the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies