Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 05:22 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,582,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
25% of Federal taxes go to Social Security - retirees
25% goes to health plans - Medicaid/Medicare/CHIP
18% to defense
11% to social welfare/safety net programs incl. tax credits
8% to benefits for federal retirees & veterans

Why cherry pick "welfare bums" when they aren't the biggest chunk of your taxes?
Great point. I'm pretty sure this will make heads explode but that 18% defense expenditure in many ways is welfare with a Red, White & Blue paint job. It's what keeps Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, General Dynamic and boatload of other contractors (and their shareholders) in the chips. How much DuPont Death Gel is really needed? If you really want to get tweaked out over my take on this reality, consider for every member of the Armed Services that are putting themselves in harms way there are at least as many if not more doing schlub work less qualified than your average grocery store bag boy. Get a gig at Food Lion with no bennies or hitch up for 4 years with good benefits doing roughly the same job? No brainer, which is exactly what my nephew did. No slam, I'm glad he did and it was a smart move considering his circumstances.

Sorry if this makes some folks feel all butt hurt, but there are far fewer John Wayne's serving than the military PR would have you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 05:28 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,662,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Think how much less we'd be on the hook for w/o this idiotic mistake:

The Iraq War Could Cost More Than $6 Trillion - Business Insider
Just imagine if Romney got elected.

Romney would have added $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt with these supply side tax cuts.
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Then he would have increased military spending by $2 trillion dollars (when America already spends more on the military than the worlds next 10 most powerful countries combined.)
Romney wants to increase defense spending by $2 trillion. But what will he use it for? - The Washington Post

These f.ing republicans are beyond stupid.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,697,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Great point. I'm pretty sure this will make heads explode but that 18% defense expenditure in many ways is welfare with a Red, White & Blue paint job. It's what keeps Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, General Dynamic and boatload of other contractors (and their shareholders) in the chips. How much DuPont Death Gel is really needed? If you really want to get tweaked out over my take on this reality, consider for every member of the Armed Services that are putting themselves in harms way there are at least as many if not more doing schlub work less qualified than your average grocery store bag boy. Get a gig at Food Lion with no bennies or hitch up for 4 years with good benefits doing roughly the same job? No brainer, which is exactly what my nephew did. No slam, I'm glad he did and it was a smart move considering his circumstances.

Sorry if this makes some folks feel all butt hurt, but there are far fewer John Wayne's serving than the military PR would have you believe.
Just keep working at. You will be rewarded and get all that tax back when you are in the 1% gang.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:36 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,582,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Just keep working at. You will be rewarded and get all that tax back when you are in the 1% gang.
Already there, rate is still 35%

Old 08-09-2015, 05:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
A CEO's personnel income is taxed by capital gains tax rates. CEO's have 6%-14% tax rates on their personal income.

Here's CEO Dick Cheney with a 6% federal tax rate.
http://www.ctj.org/pdf/bushchen05.pdf

Here's CEO Warren Buffet with a 11% tax rate.
Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

And CEO Mitt Romney with a 14% tax rate.
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

And the following tax calculator will show you single Americans making $100,000 a year pay 21% tax rates.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2015

Obama tried to fix the above tax injustice, but the republicans stopped the law from passing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffett_Rule
You are comparing people with WEALTH and then whining about their INCOME tax.. You dont yet see the stupidity in that, do you?

Obamas "buffet rule" would have fixed NOTHING.. In fact it would have encouraged even more WEALTH growth at the expense of income, thus allowing them to pay even LESS in taxes..

Still dont comprehend, do you?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Just imagine if Romney got elected.

Romney would have added $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt with these supply side tax cuts.
obama has added even more..

NEXT FAILURE...

Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 PM

546 posts, read 409,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Well, I'm also gay and live with another man. You conservatives haven't done anything to make me want to have anything to do with you. Move on.

Added by edit.

Gay people tend to be successful and self-sufficient. That's why we as a community have a lot of disposable income. My boyfriend and I like to go out often and enjoy ourselves. We also don't care much for the octo single mom on welfare.

If conservatives stop worrying so much about what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms, I imagine they would capture a very large voting block of the population.

In the mean time, we tend to vote democrat because we don't want republicans to bring back anti-sodomy laws. Those laws were still in the books for 30-some states back in 2002 before the supreme court declared them unconstitutional. Pity...
Not going to happen.... The court has ruled. How many of those 30 some states appealed that decision?

I'd suggest not buying into the conservative=homophobe propaganda. Yes, there are some out there, but they don't represent the vast majority of us.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 PM

934 posts, read 596,692 times
Wars are not cheap

Old 08-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
In the mean time, we tend to vote democrat because we don't want republicans to bring back anti-sodomy laws. Those laws were still in the books for 30-some states back in 2002 before the supreme court declared them unconstitutional. Pity...
I'm sorry but thats really a stupid reason..

The laws being on the book dont mean they are enforceable. When is the last person who's been arrested for it?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:02 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,591,875 times
Default Why am I paying so much taxes?

Because those big fat defense contracts don't just write themselves, you know. Right now, the neocons are beating the drums for another mideast war, this time with Iran. If they get their way, just imagine all the money we'll borrow from China, with us taxpayers paying it back with interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies