Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer working with?
I'm a man and prefer working with men. 13 72.22%
I'm a woman and prefer working with men. 4 22.22%
I'm a man and prefer working with women. 0 0%
I'm a women and prefer working with women. 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Done
Why don't you add a "I don't care one way or the other" for the rest of us who know how to work well with others regardless of their gender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Absolutely, and from my experience, it's just getting worse.

Out here, the female-dominated offices are so toxic that I made a career change and wouldn't even consider going back.

I've always said that my favorite people that I have ever known are women. And that's still true. But in recent years, I add that my least favorite people are also women.

Create a protected group and thus shield them from much social discipline and in 25 years you create a lot of monsters. Happens every time. That's where we are.
Oh, you mean just like men have been enjoying since time immemorial? Yes, I've worked with women I disliked on a professional and sometimes personal level, but I've worked with far more men who I disliked. You know the "Master of the Universe" types who are convinced they know it all even when the rest of the office knows they're just blowing smoke? I work in a male dominated industry and any women who make it long term are better at office politics by necessity than my male coworkers.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-10-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Boys from a very early age have been able to call each other the vilest things, even get in fights and after it's done, it's done. It rolls right off our backs. Girls have always taken it personally and of course, girls aren't allowed to get in fights.

Call a boy a name today or get in a fight you are a bully. You are punished. We need to stop that. (even though we won't). It's going to end up being detrimental to society. It's a good thing to learn to deal with it when you are young.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why don't you add a "I don't care one way or the other" for the rest of us who know how to work well with others regardless of their gender?
Right. I can't vote. It doesn't matter to me what sex you are as far as working with you goes.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:28 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I am a woman and when I worked on a public job I preferred working with professionals that left their home and personal feelings at home. I like working with people who are there to do a job and not to socialize.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Done
Thank you - this is a good thread.

I voted the first option, but want to point out that 40 years ago my vote would have been option 3.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am a woman and when I worked on a public job I preferred working with professionals that left their home and personal feelings at home. I like working with people who are there to do a job and not to socialize.
Its just all about how mature you really are. Some people never grow up and should be called out for it. Some men and women need to be told to go back to the boy scouts and girl scouts once in a while!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Boys from a very early age have been able to call each other the vilest things, even get in fights and after it's done, it's done. It rolls right off our backs. Girls have always taken it personally and of course, girls aren't allowed to get in fights.

Call a boy a name today or get in a fight you are a bully. You are punished. We need to stop that. (even though we won't). It's going to end up being detrimental to society. It's a good thing to learn to deal with it when you are young.
If I hear this little line again I am going to puke. It's got to be the biggest pile of bull**** out there. Some of the most petty individuals I know happen to be men. Holding a grudge on a ex friend or ex girlfriend for some perceived slight that they received. Let's just say that both men and women can equally be drama Queens. I have worked with some women like that and I have worked with some men like that. Neither one dominates the field in that one.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I've had men I worked with that I couldn't stand & I've had women I worked with that I couldn't stand. People are people, some you get along with & some you don't, has nothing to do with their gender. But what people are not understanding is something very basic: men & women are different & they approach things differently. If you can't understand it, accept it, or deal with it, I suggest you get a different job.
Excellent sentiment!!

I've also dealt with a-hole men and a-hole women. I worked with one woman who continuously said she would prefer to work with men. She was an older secretary and extremely insecure. Some women have a problem with other women because of their own insecurities.

I also have noticed that men in certain positions in the companies are obstinate and uncooperative. The guys in IT seem prone to those attitudes. Have worked in news media and law and found that for the most part, when dealing with people who are higher level, you will interact with jerks of both genders.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you - this is a good thread.

I voted the first option, but want to point out that 40 years ago my vote would have been option 3.
Could that be because 40 years ago women were in positions that were subservient to yours? Like secretary or receptionist? I think some men liked working with women far more when they were expected to fetch them coffee, look the other way if a man did anything inappropriate, stayed in jobs that paid less and didn't compete with men in any way. Seems like some men are offended these days when a female coworker has an opinion or doesn't give them the level of respect they think they should or gets a promotion he thinks he deserved. Some men liked things better in the "good old days" and fail to realize those days weren't so good for women who worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies