Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:16 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times

Advertisements

He should have gotten stoned.

I highly recommend that he do it now.

Then, maybe he'll be able to back up his smile.

It's never too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The attempt to rescue the 57 American hostages held in the Former American embassy wasn't so audacious. Just 4 years earlier Israeli commandos flew nonstop from Israel a distance of 1500 miles to Uganda a nation run by a hostile government to rescue Israeli and Jewish hostages from an Air France flight originating in Tel Aviv with a stop at Athens Greece enroute to Paris . The hostages (over 100 people) were held at a military air field by Palestinian terrorists and guarded by the Ugandan army. The hostages had been held for several weeks and the hijakers threatened to kill all of them unless their demands for the release of 1500 Palestinians held in Israeli detention were not met. In the early hours of July 4, 1976 the Israeli commandos landed at Entebbe, secured the airport, killed or neutralized the Ugandan military, destroyed the half a dozen Mig 17s that comprised the Ugandan airforce, secured the terminal killing all the Palestinians and Ugandan soldiers found there. Rescued virtually all of the hostages, only 2 were killed in the cross fire. then flew them out to Nairobi Kenya where a El Al special flight was standing by to take them back to Israel. Only one Israeli soldier was moratally wounded , the missions commander Col Yonathan Netanyahu (Bibis older brother) . Two years later German commandos tried to rescue the passengers of a hijacked German flight and succeeded in their mission in Mogadishu Spmalia. So knowing this the attempt to go into Teheran a city that the USA and its military had a lot knowledge given the large amount of military aid we gave the Shah was feasible.

It was not a military battle since not a single shot was fired. The mission was disrupted by something the Pentagon should have planned for a Haboob (Dust Storm) . The dust destroyed the engines of two out of the five helicopters and when it became apparent they didn't have enough copters to do the extraction they tried to get the remaining copters and the two C-130s out of the Desert 1 base set up a few hours earlier to do the extraction. Chaos ensued and a helicopter and a C130 collided and went up in flames killing about half of the commandos. If anyone is to blame for this tragic fiasco it is the Pentagon for it did a poor job of planning, training, intelligence and mission execution. These were all the responsibility of the US military its commanders especially Col Beckwith (The onsite CO) not the White House who has to rely on professional conduct by our military. The US military punted this one.

The next morning President Carter reported the failure of this "secret " mission and accepted full responsibility.

Desert 1 which happended in April 1980 pretty much put paid to the Carter Administration.

Fortunately the US military learned from its mistakes. Our choppers can fly in dusty skies and during the wee hours of a morning some 40 years later. The US military flew into a much better armed nation Pakistan right up it its Capital to a compound next to its military academy . Took the compound and killed Osama Bin Laden. They lost one of their choppers but th mission plan accounted for that.
This is the main difference between President Carter and our present 'leader'.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Jimmy Carter is also an anti-semite.
I'm pro-Israel, but no, Carter is far from an anti-semite.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
I hope he makes a full recovery.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I'm pro-Israel, but no, Carter is far from an anti-semite.
Carter is quoted as praising the Palestinian Authority leadership for their “wisdom.” Carter has admitted that he represented the “dreams and aspirations of Palestinians.”

Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Why do people need to preface their responses with "While not a fan", "While I'm not a democrat", who the eff cares? Can't people shut up for once about politics when it involves a thread like this?

I wish him the best, such a gentle & humble man.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I wish him and his family the best! I hope we find a cure for cancer within my lifetime. So much money and awareness but still no cure, makes me wonder if it's being kept secret because treatment is so profitable compared to a cure. Best wishes Carter!
Substituting conspiracy where you merely lack knowledge is poor form.

Cancer is a lot more varied than say "polio". There is not going to be "one cure".

Here is a little chart showing the progress made on breast cancer...used to be 25% alive 10 years later....now it's 75% alive 10 years later.

http://www.mdanderson.org/publicatio...er-chart-2.jpg

Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
At age 90 with widely spread cancer, Carter probably has to make a choice about quality of life vs. aggressive chemo.

I've often described him as the only president I'd buy a used car from.

Glad he go so many good years and that he spent them fruitfully.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Carter is quoted as praising the Palestinian Authority leadership for their “wisdom.” Carter has admitted that he represented the “dreams and aspirations of Palestinians.”
What does that have to do with anti-semitism?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Prayers to him and his family. Sad news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies