Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 10:05 AM

34,131 posts, read 17,188,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Untrue. It will cost New York and N Jersey millions because Amtrak will go around the area.

wrong.

The market is the cities they hit, not central Pa. Go around the area = empty trains

No one will ride DC to central pa to avoid water, adding 3 hours to the trip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 10:08 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,527,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What does that have to do with anything? A corruption investigation of the DoD would involve some real security risks? And the need for clearance is frankly what diminishes competition for military goods.

A fine excuse!

The only requirements to be POTUS are age and citizenship and he/she gets a clearance, are we really supposed to believe that qualified outside auditors can't be found who wouldn't also qualify for clearance?

Old 12-25-2017, 10:12 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,338,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Today's NY Times editorial, Build a New Hudson River Tunnel discusses the need for a new rail tunnel to protect against what Senator Chuck Schumer calls "“a regional transportation Armageddon.” As the editorial describes it "(t)he first step would be a meeting of all parties that would benefit from the project, including representatives from Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, the states of New Jersey and New York, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the federal government and Congress. Each of these institutions will have to participate, and each will eventually 'write a check.'" There is a sorely missing group of parties here the construction unions, the governmental officials in charge of "poverty" programs and "community organizers.

While Tappan Zee litigation continues relating to "the wage difference between carpenters and dock builders" where "(c)arpenters are paid $70.11 per hour, compared with dock builders that make $92.47 per hour" no consideration is given to a "workfare" program where benefits recipients would apprentice and be paid, say, $22 an hour to learn a trade and $40-$45 per our when working at these trades. The cost numbers of $20 billion to build these tunnels and related train station improvements is eye-popping and ultimately unfeasible. No matter how badly needed nothing is going to get built at those figures.

There are other projects just as urgently needed. New York needs at least one more water tunnel, so the existing three water tunnels can be shut down seriatim and rebuilt. Again labor costs are prohibitive. Other gold-plating on these projects needs to be removed, but all must participate. These projects must happen and the costs must be made bearable.

The projects must happen - and you know who should pay the bulk of it?

That's right ..... the citizens of NJ and NY.

Although I have no problem with this being part of an overall infrastructure spending plan.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

Although I have no problem with this being part of an overall infrastructure spending plan.
I'd add Va, Md, Delaware, Ct, Ma, NH, VT, and Maine also.

The ACELA belt will benefit in full.

Also a surcharge should be added from Florida North on Amtrak, for passengers connecting to service North.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,338,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'd add Va, Md, Delaware, Ct, Ma, NH, VT, and Maine also.

The ACELA belt will benefit in full.

Also a surcharge should be added from Florida North on Amtrak, for passengers connecting to service North.
I see you left PA out of it.
Although the trains do run through Philly, so if PA has to contribute, along with all of those other states you listed -- I'm ok with that.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A fine excuse!

The only requirements to be POTUS are age and citizenship and he/she gets a clearance, are we really supposed to believe that qualified outside auditors can't be found who wouldn't also qualify for clearance?
I meant suppliers having clearance. Little competition for that reason.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I see you left PA out of it.
Although the trains do run through Philly, so if PA has to contribute, along with all of those other states you listed -- I'm ok with that.

correct by error

Old 12-26-2017, 06:31 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,282,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
^^^Why go to college?

$22hr to LEARN a trade? Give me a freaking break. Most people who attempt to learn quit once the going gets tough - eg...the foreman yelled at me so I'm quitting.
You have to adjust entry wages to the cost of livinig in an area. Do you think you could live in New York near the City on $22 an hour gross? If so, let me know how. I'd love to live there.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 AM

37,805 posts, read 41,091,164 times
Build more prisons.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:46 AM

27,332 posts, read 13,588,407 times
Quote:

Other cities are investing heavily in their infrastructure and New York also needs to invest, the recent New York Subway problems being a case in point.

If London and Paris can afford to spend vast amounts on projects such as Grand Paris Express and Crossrail then New York should be able to soend a similar amount in order to secure it's place as one of the great global cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies